Window squeals when rolling down. WD40 the solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a lube like WD40 be ok to try on both sides of the glass and on the rubber weather strips to stop the squealing? If not what should I use?

silicone lube spray.

If that doesn't help (or squeals come back after a short while), please consider having your window channel weatherstripping replaced (for it's worn)

I'd use a silicone spray for that. I'm not sure if any of the 'special' ingredients in WD40 will break down rubber parts, etc. where silicone will not.

Joel

CRC,Prestone,Liguid Wrench,Amway 100% silicone spray is what you want! It is a huge inside secret in the Corvett world to stop all the weather strips and seals from talking as the chasis flex's. The more you work it inot the ruber the longer the fix lasts.

Yah its 7yrs old with 110k miles on it so I wouldnt be surprised if its time for a new strip. In the mean time I'll try a silicone spray and see how good that works. Thanks for the help guys.

So far so good the silicone seems to be working. Hope it lasts for awhile to where I dont have to spray it down every week but I'll see.

Would this silicone spray be OK to use on windows which have been tinted (aftermarket)? Or is it only for plain glass? If that's the case, should I just use the spray on the outside seals?

I'd just spray it on the strips. Silicone leaves streak marks on glass that make it hard to see the road when the sun is shining into the glass during dawn or dusk and all the rubbing you can do to the windows wont remove them so you must use soaped water.

Silicone spray is great.
BUT, make sure it is 100% silicone. Many products are some sort of oil, with a little silicone, yet have SILICONE SPRAY on the label.
Ace Hardware has a 100% silicone, without lubes, in a pressure can.

Quote:

Silicone spray is great.
BUT, make sure it is 100% silicone. Many products are some sort of oil, with a little silicone, yet have SILICONE SPRAY on the label.
Ace Hardware has a 100% silicone, without lubes, in a pressure can.

Yep. Pure 100% is the only way to go. Any housebrand that says silicone spray lube will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back