4.0 jeep cherokee rough idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did not mention ignition wires. Try some TECH RON CONCENTRATE FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER. WalMarts for ~ $7. Don't brother with the injector cleaner but, use the system cleaner which is a stronger formula.

My experience with the 4.0 is that rough idle is usually caused by vacuum leak as mentioned above already. Just take a fine powder and fluff it when the motor is running by lines and see if any is being drawn towards a section of line. Or you can mist wd-40 and get the same effect.

IAC as mentioned above also, will cause rough idle and fluctuating rpm's when in park. Another culprit is a bad Throttle Position Sensor (it is located right next to the IAC in the throttle body). When it goes bad it will think the throttle plate is either to closed or to open when in reality it's fine.

I usually change out the above two sensors together as bad idle annoys the living ---- out of me. After that I'll go and buy the Chevron fuel cleaner as mentioned and run that. I also buy a can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner and shoot that down the throttle body (has helped my idle).

If you really feel the motor shaking when idling then that is a sign of deteriorated motor mounts. After replacing mine this summer... what a world of difference.

All youz guys, Thanks for the input. Back to first post....plug wires replaced w/ tune-up,have already "treated" intake w/chemicals. Mounts are fine,checked that too. To clarify.....idle is not "rough", more of a sputter....gomes512, good point on TPS,thats my next test....maybe a crank position sensor also? I'm gonna finish my coffee and get to it....willpost findings later....

Got around to cleaning TPS. That helped alot! Checked for vacume leaks....none, checked ohms on everything around throttlebody......all ok! Wasn't really all that dirty, but dirty enough to cause the idle to sputter. Thanks all youz bitogers!!
cheers.gif

good work Ponder

also take into account type of plugs and plug wires, distributor and cap..make sure they are champion plugs! all jeeps run on champions esp back then.. this is why i buy my stuff at a dealership bc its DEFF OEM speced. yeah you might pay an extra 10$ for all that but ---- come on! how often do you change that stuff?? so its worth it

also, check the idle control butterfly valve. make sure its clean around the edge of the butterfly and its surroundings. you will see a big black ring where stuff collects.. clean it good

AAAArgh!! Still idles like ----. Now I'm having what feels like it's cutting out. Even on a light throttle, it feels like sputtering, only for a fraction of a second. Put new TPS,didn'nt change anything. Even mashing the throttle, there's a stumble...---- over???!!! Help.

check for vacuum leak. I know for a fact that mid~late 90s Jeep cherokee suffered from vacuum booster leak of some sort so you can try unplugging that vacuum line, plug it and see if that helps.

Fuel pressure low?Fuel pump may-be on it's way out.Bad injector?Try a different brand of gas from a new gas station.Sometimes water in the fuel will give these symtoms.

Sometimes you just gotta say, DUH!!Nailed the rough running thing on my jeep 4.0. Talked w/a shop foreman from local jeep dealership. First thing he said, "plug wires".
He saw they were new, check'em anyway! Low and behold, one WAS bad,replaced,runs GREAT!Yeah!
Note for all 4.0 owners....replace wires every 30k !
Going for a cruise now,maybe to that fishing hole saw the other day!!
cheers2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back