should i change my oil after overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've had 2 signifigant overheating episodes on my 93 diesel Jetta in the past week. first one was due to a badly leaking block heater and my temp gauge was up over 230F (didn't notice the temp warning light til i was nearly home). the second incident happened when my serpentine belt that drives the water pump and alternator shredded itself apart. I drovd the car about 6 miles then left it in a parking lot overnight and drove it home the neyt morning. there was no water circulating the 2nd time because of thd bad belt. i got a new belt today and replaced it, only took 15 minutes to get the new one on. Everything seems to have survived without damage, thankfully. do you think i should change out the mobil1 5w50 i have in the engine now? i've got just about 3000 on it now. Ps: typing out long messages on a cell phone keypad makes my thumbs sore

if it were my car, i would change it out. you've got 3k on the oil. if you'd just put it in, i might think about it more, but i say change it out to be on the safe side. or, you could chance it, and put the money you save towards a computer.

What about the ATF? A mechanic once told me it's a good idea to change out the ATF after overheating. Does anybody want to second the idea?

I'll second that. Most cars integrate the trans cooler into the radiator. If the engine overheated, it may have scorched the trans fluid, too. Better to be safe.

Definitely change the oil!

Quote:

What about the ATF?

It's a 5 speed
tounge2.gif

I'd look into changing the oil since the only thing that was cooling your engine was your oil, and nothing else. ( Which it wasn't primarily meant for ) and chances of thermal breakdown of the oil would be more likely.

Like stated above. AFter making 2 saves from grenading your engine, I think the $20~ is worth it. The engine owes you nothing.. you owe your engine some TLC

That M1 sure was a good choice when things got really hot. It stood up better than a dino in those very tough conditions.
Change it for sure, esp at 3,000 miles.

Without question, I'd change the engine and trans. oil. Like he said- oil is cheap, easy, and fun to change. Engines and transmissions are not.

If it's a manual transmission as you said, the tranny fluid is contained in the transmission. There's no possible way it could mix/be affected by the hot engine oil/radiator.

Usually the way engines are designed the oil doesn't get that much hotter when an engine overheats. Fact ,the head will get really hot and the valve seats will fall out and the oil still doesn't get overheated because there are water jackets between the combustion chambers and the oil, even without coolant there would be air.That said I could prove the point by saying get a uoa but just change the oil to feel better.

Quote:

Usually the way engines are designed the oil doesn't get that much hotter when an engine overheats. Fact ,the head will get really hot and the valve seats will fall out and the oil still doesn't get overheated because there are water jackets between the combustion chambers and the oil, even without coolant there would be air.That said I could prove the point by saying get a uoa but just change the oil to feel better.

Thank you for some common sense..

No matter WHAT type of oil you use, NO OIL is going to protect a engine when its overheating for a long time.

FIX the problem and do not operate until the problem that is causing the engine to overheat is fixed.

Oil is the last thing you should be thinking about.

Bill
patriot.gif

The coolant was changed actually a few days before I lost the serpentine belt. I flushed it first, rinsed it out a few times then put some Motomaster long-life coolant in it.

One thing puzzles me, immediately after I lost the belt my oil pressure light started flashing. When I got the new belt on the light went out. Wha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back