07 Camry LE, AT - many poor owner's reivews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I bought my 2003 Camry brand new and only paid $17,900 dollars for it. I do not see how that is over priced at all. I think all vechiles are grossly over priced if you are dumb enough to pay sticker!

John I thought you sold Toyotas for a living? You don't get much, if any at all off of MSRP on a basic Camry LE. IMO, much of the naysayers, my brother included, had false expectations from the start. If you are used to a V6 or V8 AT sedan, of course a 4cyl AT is going to feel & sound different. I personally don't mind them at all.

Joel

Why is there so much Toyota bashing on bitog? I personally find the Camry to be a boring car that I would never buy, but it is one of the top sellers for a reason and wasn't it Motortrend's car of the year (I may be wrong on the publication, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now
grin.gif
).

I'm not making this up. Go to yahoo autos and search 07 Camry LE 4 cylinder AT for yourself.

Then, search any other similarly priced sedan, e.g. Accord, Sonata, Impala, G6, Fusion, etc ... and tell me if the Camry doesn't get the worst owner's reviews.

Yeah, they're so bad they only sell about 400K of them a year
smirk.gif
You can go on Edmund's or whoever you want and just about every car made is being trashed by someone on there. That's where people that pi$$ and moan go. I recently looked up Subaru on there and you would think it was the worst built things ever made. NOT, just a small number of people that think they'll actually get somewhere by complaining. Check into the large number of people complaining about GM,Ford, AND Chrysler products as well.
Considering the number of Camrys being built every year they are very well made allthough I think it has gotten too big for my tastes. They do have problems as all cars do but the instances of unscheduled repairs is still far less than most of your imported cars such as Ford and Chevy sell here in the states.
For those that like to rant about how dull &boring it is well,it's a 4 dr sedan designed to move people comfortably and reliably. If you have performance tastes perhaps you should have looked at a sports car???
The Camry is much like the Accord in that they have more repeat buyers than most all other cars. Hundreds of thousands of people are buying them over and over for some reason. If they were not well-built cars they would have had to change their names a long time ago(like Ford&GM do every few years).
You think the Camry has had complaints. Do a search on GM owners that have complained about coolant-intrusion and tranny problems. That will keep you busy for quite some time.

What I can't understand is what the sales record of previous camry models has to do with complaints about the current camry. This current model is what people are complaining about so the number of previous generation camrys sold has no effect here. Sure they were great in the past but some people think the camry has been cheapened a bit.

People, please don't let the mokanic change the subject. He seems to think that the topic of gm coolant leaks belong in a camry discussion. It does not.

How is this a Toyota hate thread? One guy makes a comment about how there are lots of complaints about the Camry, even if its only a relatively small number compared to other cars or whatever, and suddenly it's a Toyota hate thread?

If someone makes a post about GM building a car and just ONE thing is slightly wrong with the passenger side window visor; it takes less than a fraction of a second for 30 people to jump in and say that GM cars are ----, the American auto industry is going under and the intake gaskets will leak even though the engine is in no way related to those with the defect. Meanwhile, Toyota builds a mediocre car and suddenly any one who even speaks of it is starting Toyota hate threads.

News-flash folks: Any automaker is capable of building a mediocre or crummy vehicle, even if its the most popular one they sell. Toyota no longer has the luxury of being able to build every part and assemble every car in Japan with a bunch of in-house parts. I'm sure plenty of their parts are being built by the lowest bidder, just like GM's. That doesn't mean they're bad cars, heck, I like the Camry a lot more than I like the Accord, and it's well on par with the Altima; but I don't understand why anyone is surprised when one of the world's largest automakers can't build every single one of 400,000+ cars perfectly.

I have serious reservations about the reviews at Yahoo Autos. I know this may sound like sour grapes, but I have my suspicions that people are blasting Toyotas on Yahoo as a hobby. Perhaps they are UAW workers with nothing better to do on their lunch hour.

A few months ago, I started to consider replacing my daily commuter, which is a '97 Subaru Legacy with 232K trouble-free miles. I looked at the Toyota Corolla customer reviews at Yahoo and couldn't believe anyone, let alone Toyota, would make such a horrendous car, at least according to the "owners" at Yahoo.

After reading this thread, I decided to check out the Yahoo customer reviews of the Toyota 4Runner. I own an '06 4Runner with 26k perfect miles. It is one of the few SUVs that receives the highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports (I know that doesn't mean everything, but it is worth something, IMO).

Out of 27 reviews at Yahoo Autos, only two or three are good. The vast majority of the reviews give the 4Runner "one star" out of five, and many of them then go on to recommend a Jeep or a Buick or a Volvo. All 4Runners are made in Japan, and most are made at Toyota's legendary Tahara plant where Lexuses are built, and I can assure you from personal experience that the 4Runner is nearly bullet-proof and is as solid an SUV as you will find in its price range. It may not be perfect in all areas, but there is no way it should receive so many one-star ratings from its "owners". It's just not credible.

As far as I'm concerned, the Yahoo Auto reviews are garbage an should not be trusted. That being said, I have no experience with the current-generation Camry, and so for all I know it may be junk, but I wouldn't rely on Yahoo reviews to know for sure.

Thorn,
I couldn't agree more. When I was shopping for a minivan, the Yahoo users tore the Honda Odyssey a new one. Surprise surprise that they would go after the top rated minivan (by just about every other source) over the past three or four years. Some of the reviews were so outlandish that they were obviously fabricated. The tore into the Sienna too, but not as hard. Yahoo needs more quality control to screen out the trolls.

Wow! I just took a few minutes to read some of the one-star reviews of the Camry at Yahoo Autos. Most of them are so poorly written and obscure that it is obvious they are not from real "owners". These reviews are some of the worst fiction I have ever read. My eight-year old son could do a much better job reviewing cars.

VeeDubb, I agree. Yahoo better clean up their act on auto reviews, because, as of now, I am convinced that they are mostly useless drivel.

My favorites are the ones where somebody looked at a in a dealership showroom and then wrote a 1 star review about what a piece of junk it is. That is wisdom at its finest.

Quote:

What I can't understand is what the sales record of previous camry models has to do with complaints about the current camry. This current model is what people are complaining about so the number of previous generation camrys sold has no effect here. . . .

Well, like its predecessors, the current Camry is also blitzing the sales charts.

06R, no, I don't think you're making the stuff up, but I share the already-stated concerns about the Yahoo yahoos. Those comments bear scant resemblance to the car I personally observed and the car that is described by owners in other fora (such as Toyotanation). The rental 07 Camry I had was a plain Jane model with cloth seats, steel wheels w/covers, etc. That said, it was well put together, pleasant to drive, and without any obvious defects. It felt solid, as if the body had been machined one large block of steel. A good friend of mine, on my recommendation, recently bought a totally decked out, top-of-line 07 Camry Hybrid. I'be been in that car several times, and it's been fantastic.

For sure, no car is perfect, and I'm sure that there are some less-than-perfect Camrys out there, but from my own experience and the observations through my own two eyes, I just don't buy all the anti-Camry hype on Yahoo.
cheers.gif

It's a sad day in my shop when one of my customers trades in their older car for a new Camry. That means they'll pretty much be doing oil changes and tire rotations for quite a long time. None of them have yet to complain about the new Camry's quality. Yes, I do realize that the number of Camrys I see is minute at best compared to the hundreds of thousands they sell every year but if the car was plagued with problems as some would like you to think I would see something with my customers. Nada,nothing, they love them and most are on their third or fourth generation Camry. GM,Ford,and Chrysler would kill to have a car in that segment that has the reputation of the Camry. It's been in production since late 1984 and has never needed a name change in 23 years.
They do experience problems but they are far fewer than most cars in that segment and the present Camry is selling quite well. Someone is buying these well-built domestic cars.

Quote:

IMO, it's the best looking Camry yet. Even if it is a little ugly, at least there is SOME kind of style, unlike all of the other previous generations where they clearly went out of their way to make the car as boring and lifeless as possible. While I don't particularly like it, at least I notice them, unlike those of previous years which are completely devoid of any style at all.

That said, it's still over-hyped and over-priced and I'd never buy one when you can buy cars like the Impala or Altima for half the price and twice the value.

The new redesigned Altima appears to be every bit as good as the Camry. The Impala will suffer from poor resale, which makes it much more expensive in the long run to own. However, domestics do make good values as used cars.

I sold them for a very short time. I could not do what they wanted me to do and sleep at night! Nothing wrong with trying to make as much money as you can but I draw the line at bold face lie's and miss representing myself or the product! Their is no need for that type of behavior. I also did not like the games they were playing trying to keep the sales staff at each others throats. They also would try to play games with what they owed you for commissions.

You would be suprised how much you can get off. It all depends on how things are going. The owner likes to see some basic numbers and if they were not at those numbers they would sell car's ate huge discounts just to make the numbers that the owner wanted to see. I know of plenty of deals that were end of months deals because they had not sold enough car's the owner would not settle for anything less then 100 cars a month dureing the winter time. Rember that the owner and the managment staff make money no watter what it is the salesman that lose's his shirt on those bad deals!What would rather do spend 6 hours hagleing with an Asian or African imagrent with his entire family crambed into your cube chatting away in what ever vernacular they speak to make $50-$150 dollars off the sale or would you rather spend 2 hours with a customer and make $1500 off the sale! Timeing, atitude,wich salesman you get, any pressure from higher up the food chain all have a bearing on what deal you can get.

Toyotanation.com owner's reviews isn't as critical, but on the first page there's a multi-page thread entitled: (Another "my 07 is sluggish!" thread) along with a few others addressing tranny issues.

So that statement means mass numbers of cars are having problems? WOW! You have insight not given to most mortals. If you don't like the Camry just say you don't and move on to what you do like but you're wasting your time trying convince many people who have owned a Camry that they are problem vehicles. They'll laugh you off the planet.
crackmeup.gif

Quote:

John I thought you sold Toyotas for a living? You don't get much, if any at all off of MSRP on a basic Camry LE.

I see '07 Camry LEs advertised by all of the local dealers every weekend for $18.5-$19k. That's about $2500-$3000 off MSRP. Where do you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back