07 Camry LE, AT - many poor owner's reivews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've don't every recall reading as many negative owner's reviews about a modern sedan on autos.yahoo, edmunds, etc ... as the 07 4 cylinder Camry LE.

I'd say the reviews are overwhelming negative.

Better luck next time.
crackmeup.gif

Edmunds has always been the primary dumping grounds for any owner with a gripe IMO. My brother has an '07 4cyl auto LE. Nice car. I just can't see dropping ~$20K on that model. He was all Gung-ho over it initially, now he prefers to drive his 1996 Olds Aurora or 2005 F150 over the Camry. Same goes for his missus and kids.

Joel

Quote:

Edmunds has always been the primary dumping grounds for any owner with a gripe IMO. My brother has an '07 4cyl auto LE. Nice car.

So true. The bazillion happy Camry owners are too busy getting on with life and enjoying their care-free transportation to bother with logging onto Edmunds to tell everyone how much they love their car. Reminder: the Camry isn't a (the) top seller because everyone who buys it hates it. . .
smirk.gif

Quote:

I just can't see dropping ~$20K on that model.

Well, what's your alternative if you want a new car of this size/class??? Don't forget, you can still get a bare Camry, if you're willing to do without all frills, for $19k or less. Even more off if you'll take a 5-spd manual.

Quote:

He was all Gung-ho over it initially, now he prefers to drive his 1996 Olds Aurora or 2005 F150 over the Camry. Same goes for his missus and kids.

Well, neither of those vehicles really compare to an I-4 Auto Camry. I'm sure that, especially if you're really into acceleration, the Aurora is more entertaining to drive. I would imagine that, everything else remaining the same, at some fuel price point (which we will eventually reach...), the Camry will again be more atractive than the Olds.
cheers.gif

I thought it was the V6 Camrys having all the problems with the transmissions slipping within the first 1k miles or so. The 4-cylinder has the common drive-by-wire problem, but they've come out with an ECU reflash that fixes that.

Quote:

Quote:

Edmunds has always been the primary dumping grounds for any owner with a gripe IMO. My brother has an '07 4cyl auto LE. Nice car.

So true. The bazillion happy Camry owners are too busy getting on with life and enjoying their care-free transportation to bother with logging onto Edmunds to tell everyone how much they love their car.

You can research any car and the majority of new owner's are happy with their purchase, but this generation 4 cylinder Camry is getting ripped to shreads.

Most comment on the erratic AT.

Ekpolk, not to hijack here but everyone has different motivations for driving a car. Yours is fuel economy, but not everyone's is. I like roominess and will give up some fuel economy to get it. Obviously many like style and flash. Some like sheer power. Your point about fuel prices works for you, but don't assume it works for everyone no matter what fuel prices go to.

Quote:

Well, what's your alternative if you want a new car of this size/class??? Don't forget, you can still get a bare Camry, if you're willing to do without all frills, for $19k or less. Even more off if you'll take a 5-spd manual.

You can get a well equipped Mazda6i for $16k to $18k depending on options.

Ford Fusion can be had for under $18k.

Nissan altima, maybe? There are plenty of options out there for less than a Camry.

Quote:

Well, what's your alternative if you want a new car of this size/class???

That's very true. For a brand-new car in this class, ~$20K isn't bad. I always reflect back on the $12K, 1yr old Impalas or Tauri that can be had for large, no-frills family transportation.

Joel

Quote:

That's my brother's main complaint. Most of your 4spd AT's are painful enough on a larger vehicle, 4cyl auto. Throwing a 5th gear in there plus torque converter locking/unlocking is a bit much.
crazy.gif

Joel

Quote:

Quote:

That's my brother's main complaint. Most of your 4spd AT's are painful enough on a larger vehicle, 4cyl auto. Throwing a 5th gear in there plus torque converter locking/unlocking is a bit much.
crazy.gif

Joel

It shouldn't be. 5 and 6 speed autos have certainly been around long enough for any problems like that to be ironed out. TCC locking has been around forever, so that should certainly have been perfected.

You don't hear widespread complaints about the Saturn Sky, for instance, which has a 2.4L I4 mated to a 5 speed auto. If GM can get that right, why not Toyota?

Personally I think people put a Toyota Camry way too high on a pedestal and expect perfection. That pedestal is now beyond people's expectations now.

I have driven every Camry from the original (1984?) - present generation and I have yet to be impressed. I will say they seem to last if you put up with maintenance and yes repairs (they are not infallible).

After seeing 2007 Camrys everywhere for over a year it is still the ugliest Camry to my eyes. I haven't driven one to know if they are any better, but those I have driven pre-2000 model years are so dead feeling. I have driven the old pre-1992 model and it had an once or two more joy than the 1997-1999.

As long as they work reliably for a long service life they will be good for many people. It will take some years to see if the current generation went down the tubes or not.

I'm getting old for "hot rods" but I still like a car that is fun to drive. A Camry might be bulletproof but it's NOT fun to drive.

IMO, it's the best looking Camry yet. Even if it is a little ugly, at least there is SOME kind of style, unlike all of the other previous generations where they clearly went out of their way to make the car as boring and lifeless as possible. While I don't particularly like it, at least I notice them, unlike those of previous years which are completely devoid of any style at all.

That said, it's still over-hyped and over-priced and I'd never buy one when you can buy cars like the Impala or Altima for half the price and twice the value.

^^^ The Camry and the older Malibu are the definition of generic car. If the new Camry isn't extremely dependable, then it has absolutely nothing going for it.

My Mother has an 2007 Camry LE and she loves it and so does my Dad. It is the only car she has driven that she likes as much as her Tundra. I have not read the complaints but I have driven it about 7-8 times and have been a passenger in it 2-3 times and I too think it is a great car. What has been the main complaint?

I bought my 2003 Camry brand new and only paid $17,900 dollars for it. I do not see how that is over priced at all. I think all vechiles are grossly over priced if you are dumb enough to pay sticker!

Quote:

My Mother has an 2007 Camry LE and she loves it and so does my Dad. It is the only car she has driven that she likes as much as her Tundra. I have not read the complaints but I have driven it about 7-8 times and have been a passenger in it 2-3 times and I too think it is a great car. What has been the main complaint?

Go to an owner's review forum, particularly yahoo autos.

As I posted, the overwhelming response is negative, not just the few that you find in most car models.

I had an 07 I-4 Camry as a rental for about five days, a couple months ago. It seemed nice enough to me.

Try Toyotanation, there are a few naysayers there, as anywhere, but most folks seem to like 'em. I don't see a torrent of hate.

Again, if these were really such awful cars, you wouldn't think it would be selling the way they are. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back