real Chevron gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it possible that Chevron gas stations serve something other than Chevron gas to cut costs from having to transport their blend to each station? i was looking around online and cam across somebody saying they sometimes trade off gas because stations can be too far. how would i know what they're using besides asking the person behind the counter?

Kinda' doubt the typical droid at the cash register would know.

At the refinery in Martinez CA a friend doing some maintenance work there (can't recall which fuel firm) said he saw tanker yankers dump a small amount of some liquid into the top opening of the tank's compartments after they had been filled with gas. He assumed it was the additive that brand bragged about.

If true, I suppose Chevron could simply add the Techron to any gas from any refiner, akin to how we can buy Techron off the shelf and dump it in our tank,

I suppose.

Just guessin'.

I gotta' go mow the lawn.

Need a woman so I can have her do it.

Most additive is injected at the loading rack as the gasoline is being pumped onto the tank trailer. The actual amount is rarely more than about a gallon per 8500 gallon tanker load. It is a highly concentrated formula, of course.

Chevron, as far as I know, does not guarantee a ppm count of the Techron additive to be in their fuel. So, if there is 1000 gallons of Techron additized fuel in the ground tank when the tanker load arrives--and if that tanker doesn't have any Techron in it at all (maybe the rack was out of additive, maybe the supplier with the Techron was out of gasoline and the load came from another terminal)... the point is there is still some Techron in that gas. The ppm count will be way down, but Chevron won't be lying.
smile.gif

If you really want Techron in your gasoline, I'd purchase it by the bottle and add it as needed. At least that way you know how much you're getting.
wink.gif

Dan

Due the the small number of pipelines in operation, one refinery may contribute to a shipment of gasoline from several other refineries. The key is meeting the specifications on the shipment, one being the octane rating.

As for the additive package, which is added at the terminal where the tanker trucks are loaded, I found out something interesting a few months ago. Techron is used as the additive in several brands of gasoline, the name just can't be used to advertise the other brands because of the proprietary nature of the Techron name. I know two different men who once worked for Chevron and they tell me that this is the case.

I noticed Texaco has Techron advertised on their 89 and 93 octane fuel. By advertised, I mean at the pump under the octane rating. I noticed this and used the 89 in my '86 F-150 with 302 V8 EFI and, man, it really ran better after about 5 minutes. This truck has 110,000 original miles on it, but probably has never had any type of fuel treatment, so that might have accounted for some of it.

But, I just wanted to say that I noticed Texaco fuel in Morristown, Tennessee, at least, has Techron in the 89 and 93 octane.

I have actually asked the person behind the register this question more than a few times. Most actually do know at least which people truck in their gas.

In Texas at least for Chevron it is always 'Mission Petro'.

After I was given this answer from one lady, I noticed that if I saw a truck at a Chevron station, it always did say 'Mission Petro' .... so in this regard I know that each Chevron in my town gets their gas from the same place.
As to if has the 'goodies' , it would impossible to know.

Here they lift their raw gasoline from the Petro Canada station and blend their additives at their own station. Petro Canada is only 4 km away aswel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back