Toyota going thin??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by a local Toyota dealer and notice that their '08 Highlander V6 3.5 and '08 Scion xB 4cyl 2.4 are now using 5w20/0w20 (oil cap labels). Has anyone else seen this and what are you comments on this move. I have an '07 Rav4 V6 that has labeled on the oil cap to use SL 5w30.

Toyota changed over a large share of it's engines to 5W20 and 0W20 in March of 2006. The 2006 Highlander and 2007 Highlander already are specified for 20 weight oil.

ILSAC GF-4 ENGINE OIL
RECOMMENDATION
Models:
All ’06 – ’07 Toyota & Scion
Technical Service
BULLETIN

March 29, 2006

TSB UPDATE NOTICE:
Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF–4 engine
oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and
engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment.
ILSAC GF–4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines.

NOTE:
• The recommended viscosity grade for this oil differs according to vehicle model.
Use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap or in the Repair Manual
or Owner’s Manual for each vehicle.
• For Prius vehicles, refer to TSB No. EG050–04, “Engine Oil Specifications.”
• 2006 – 2007 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles.
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
N/A Not Applicable to Warranty – – – –

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for
the U.S. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold
starting performance.

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 0W–20
This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W–20. Initial
application for 0W–20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ–FE engine and will be used in new
engines to be developed.

ILSAC GF–4 ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION – EG018-06 March 29, 2006
Page 2 of 2
Engines That Can Use 5W–20 and 0W–20:

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
AZ series
GR series
JZ series
MZ series
NZ series
RZ series
UZ series
VZ series
1ZZ–FE
2TR–FE

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 0W–20

(Beginning with 2006 MY)
2AZ–FE Camry
2AZ–FE Solara
2AZ–FE Highlander
2AZ–FE RAV4 (ACA3#)

The SL was an indicator of when my cap was made. Excluding the SL rating, I found the thinner weights for '08 interesting. My next visit to a dealership, I'll ask for the owners manual when I look over a car.
pat2.gif

Thanks.

If they spec it for a 20Wt. it surely will not hurt anything but not following that recomendation will not hurt anything either!

I have a Corrola made in Febuary of 06. Still have a 5w30 cap and says 5w30 in the manual.

I know, the conventional wisdom is to use what the owners manual says.

But, I highly doubt they changed anything in the engine. Particularly, since they didn't change the oil cap or manual until almost a year later....

I am thinking of doing 0w20 in the winter months anyhow. My little 1.8 'rolla engine is not going to ---- out from oil failure, and I am just curious how the mileage will respond on those cold weeks where I was getting 30mpg instead of 33.

Quote:

I stopped by a local Toyota dealer and notice that their '08 Highlander V6 3.5 and '08 Scion xB 4cyl 2.4 are now using 5w20/0w20 (oil cap labels). Has anyone else seen this and what are you comments on this move. I have an '07 Rav4 V6 that has labeled on the oil cap to use SL 5w30.

My 07 Sienna 3.5 has the same cap. Also says energy conserving on it. I'm running maxlife synthetic and mpg actually improved over the OEM oil even though maxlife is not energy conserving. But this might just be due to break in.

Quote:

Quote:

My 07 Sienna 3.5 has the same cap. Also says energy conserving on it. I'm running maxlife synthetic and mpg actually improved over the OEM oil even though maxlife is not energy conserving. But this might just be due to break in.

It could also do with fuel reformulation in the non-winter fuels....

i can not wrap my mind around the 5w-20thing... i know it seems to be performing adequately, but still....20.... shearing would bring it to a 10 grade?? keep pumping me full of 40 grade oils!

I want a new oil cap for my 2007 Prius. My 07 Prius cap says 5W30. The owners manual calls for 5W30 too. However, I put in MC5w20 at 2300 miles.

Quote:

i can not wrap my mind around the 5w-20thing... i know it seems to be performing adequately, but still....20.... shearing would bring it to a 10 grade?? keep pumping me full of 40 grade oils!

I have yet to see a UOA of a 5w20 where it sheared out of grade. I can't say the same for 5w30, 10w40, 5w40, or 0w40, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back