Help with camera purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used a Nikon 35mm slr for years with excellent results. Recently been using a HP point and shoot digital till it went belly up. Never really happy with results of point and shoot, not willing to go back to film.

Anyone recomend a reliable,BASIC FUNCTION digital SLR? Preferably NIKON. Not interested in exotic techniques, night, closeups of a gnat's arse, sequential exposure,etc. Just excellent detail in everyday shots.

Thanks,

Bob

i'm not big into cameras and taking pictures, but i bought a canon s2is a year or two ago, wanted the video ability.
The canon s3 came out, don't know what the price is, but I know the prices of the s2 have dropped a lot and the s2 would be a real good buy for what it delivers. But it all depends on what you want out of your camera.
if you haven't been to dpreview, have fun reading. then there's going to be no real reason to ask here anymore.

I would highly recommend the D40. Its 6MP instead of 10MP but you'll never know unless you like making posters.

NIKON COOLPIX P2
DSCN0159.jpg

Last edited:
Been using the Canon S2-IS and am extremely pleased with pic quality and numerous functions.

Basic "auto" mode makes basic pic taking easy.

Fits in the hand nicely.

AA batteries are a plus. Rechargable-type are cool, especially with a charger that uses house current OR can plug into auto's cig lighter.

12 time aptical zoom preferable to digital zoom, that is also present.

Batteries last a long time, longer than some of the competition.

Consumer Reports rates it very high, at the top in one category of I recall correctly. Price has plummeted since the S3-I3 has been released. The I3 has a megapixel or two higher rating than the I2's what? 5 MP? But, the I2 has plenty of whatever is needed.

You will likely be pleased with almost any digital camera from a name-brand firm. At least for basic photography.

You mention SLR. Do you plan on swapping lenses around? If not, you likely do not need an SLR-type camera.

Your mid-level point-and-shoot types are all most folks need.

Consumer reports had a recent report on digital cameras and while not the definitive word their reports can be helpful.

Uses the SD memory card that I think is a plus.

Here are helpful sites:

http://www.neocamera.com/index.html

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/dchq-resources_guide.html

Now, go forth and gather photons.

I'll agree with the D40 recommendation if you're buying new. A D70 would be a good choice as a used camera. The nice part with either is if you decide to move up later any lenses you might purchase will be usable.

My recommendation, after spending way, WAY too much time looking into these things, is to consider only two cameras, in the following order:

Pentax K100D - not as flashy as some of the others, but fairly bulletproof and can use LOTS and LOTS of existing lenses.

Nikon D70. Nicer than the D60 for very little more, if any. Don't bother with the D80, and the D40 didn't really trip my trigger.

As for Canon, I've had a number of their products and I've always been disappointed. Not with the product (although in some cases I've sworn I'd never buy another...), but with the cost/benefit ratio.

I'd buy the K100D and never look back.

I'm beginning to wonder if some people even read what Bob said:

Quote:

Preferably NIKON. Not interested in exotic techniques, night, closeups of a gnat's arse

By now we see a lot of gnats' arses here.
tongue.gif

Non-DSLR-recommendations keep also popping up.

When my Point and shoot goes belly up....I intend to look at Nikon's. I think I will look at the D-40X. I don't claim to be an expert..but look at the Nikon lines and see how they feel in your hands. If you are not happy with the feel..check out Cannon.

Mark, I've taken thousands of pictures with the Canon AE-1 in my career. I liked it so much that I bought one for myself.

Now the lab standard seems to be the Nikon Coolpix. It may not be best for Bob, but I wanted to throw it in as a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back