Seafoam Help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should probably go in the oil add. forum, but I need lots of eyes on this because I (may) need quick help -

I just added about 3/4 pint of Seafoam (a bit more than the recommended 1/2 pint) to my 5qts of 8k mile M1 oil (I decided not to add new Rotella just for this short Seafoam run - will do so for the Neutra run). But I was thinking the run would be a run - then I looked at Seafoam's web site and saw where it stated to add Seafoam to oil "1 HOUR BEFORE OIL CHANGE". Is this true? I was planning to run it out to 300 miles or so.

Plse advise!
Thanks!

I'd believe it. It is pretty harsh stuff. I think it is meant to be added to the oil, ran for about 20min or so, and then drained. I dont think you'll want to drive around town with that in your crank case.

Seafoam is not harsh at all it is mostly IPA and Kerosine so I am sure you will be just fine. In the future I would not waste money on Seafoam it is too weak to do much really.3/4 pint is not going to last long it will burn off in less then 300 miles more then likely. I would not worry about it!

i am with john on this.. seafoam is great for the intake system (fuel system) but so so in the block.. personally i would never put anything in my block thats not oil.. but thats me.. i havent seen anything that will work like they say and that includes auto rx.. i am the kind of person that i have to see it, feel it, and touch it for it to be real...

eric, if you have been using a syn for quite a while you really do not need an additive.. alot of it is snake oil medicine anyway

Seafoam is more or less paint thinner and it'll evaporate off if you leave in in your engine long enough. I prefer to use a small hose to run it into the intake of a running engine. If the engine's hot and the chambers (or intake runners) are dirty it should produce some smoke out the tailpipe. Lately, I've just been using it to clean off my funnel after I put a dose of FP60 into the fuel. Actually I use B12 Chemtool because it's more potent...

I second using www.auto-rx.com to clean the engine, it's great stuff. And LC20 can also be used as an engine flush.

Understood. Then I'll leave it in there past today, but not much past today - mainly because I want to get this show on the road, and apparently Seafoams not much of a show.

Thanks for the help!

IPA works good for cleaning ester based oils and some mild soft varnish but that is about it. Kerosine is also ok at getting soft loose stuff but is not going to get the tuff stuborn stuff at all. So basicly Seafoam is for engines that are already preety clean. As far as the intake goes I would just a s soon use water to clean any carbon in the combustion chamber. Seafoam into the intake track is no safer or more effective then useing water.

The main ingredient in N131 that does the cleaning is Crysilic(sp) acid. It is also used to clean home furnace system that burn fuel oil. Their is some speculation that the C* Acid in the N131 converts some of the oil in the system into ester's through heat and compression but no proof of that.

Never understood that whole ester action myself. but I agree with JohnB. I sure don't think I would run Seafoam that long, either. I did run Neutra for a bit...but that didn't do anything.......

I used SeaFoam once on my 22R Toyota and it took about four short OCIs to get the oil to clean up. It obviously did something, but had to have been harsh on the system. I'd probably go with auto-rx now.

Inject it into your manifold and call it a day. Auto-RX into the oil and follow the instructions. Techron in the gas. And clean/replace your air filter. It's good stuff, and works well for it's intended purpose of cleaning up valves and intake manifolds.

I've never used Seafoam in a crankcase, but I have used it poured through my intake several times to clean out the intake and combustion chambers. It must've done something as it cleared up rough idle on both my mustang and my capri and also made the mustang get about 3mpgs better. Both cars ran much smoother as well. As for crankcase additives, I use VSOT or MLEP or, the old favorite, Marvel Mystery Oil. I have some of that in the capri right now and it cleared up a nasty lifter clack. As said a few times above, Seafoam seems to evaporate over time. I spilled some once in the garage and it basically evaporated away. After a few hundred miles it will probably be totally gone from your crankcase.

The way I look at it, if Seafoam evaporates in the crankcase, that's fine - as long as, it removes deposits/gunk or whatever else is in the crankcase that isn't supposed to be there and deposits it in the hot oil for the OCI.

Realistically, that's what all of the cleaners/flushes/metal brush-in-a-can does...

Yes but what is it doing to your oil in the meantime. Even when I used to use flushes, I would never leave them in longterm. Look at what fuel dilution does to oil. How is a flush left in for any length of time any different. Seems it could be more of a problem than solution.

I used seafoam for about 2 weeks, and i got blue smoke at start up! it must of thinned the oil out real bad, Even then, my friend is the one who noticed the blue smoke, who knows how long it had been doing it.

Used it in a auto transmission for a few weeks before a fluid change (mechanic at work talked me into it). It knocked all kinds of ancient junk loose from every nook and cranny. The filter looked like the tranny had blown up, LOL. Junk got into the valve body and made a bunch of work cleaning it out. Wouldn't do it again.

Sure it thins out the oil but he is going to be useing 15W40 not 5W30 so oil thinning should not really be an issue.

Seafoam is mostly jet fuel and naphtha. It is a good product for the gas tank,carb. and intake.Also, a good fuel stabilizer for mower and snowblower gas! However,I may just use water to clean the intake. I just heard of the water "trick" on this site. THANKS!

Seafoam has made my engines noticably cleaner after pouring it in the crankcase. I just drove 50 miles yesterday before it was drained on one of them but the 5 minute idle drains have worked for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back