4T60-E Hydramatic Filter Debris

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened the filter at the last ATF drain & refill on my 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT last night. The pictures were also included in the ATF UOA section. However, I'm posting here to get feedback on what comprises the debris.

[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-0710.jpg
[/image]
[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-079.jpg
[/image]
[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-078.jpg
[/image]
[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-077.jpg
[/image]
[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-076.jpg
[/image]
[image]
1994PontiacGrandAmFilter30-Jun-074.jpg
[/image]

I have a 4L60e on a 1997 GM. I changed 1/2 fluid at ~100K. Pan had no particles, just sludge looking like graphite grease.

Then at 135K the torque converter failed and I looked at it when shop disassembled. Pan had small amount of shavings but nothing like what you have (actually I was surprised how little). The Sun gear had chunks missing, it's a weak link.

No expert here but red stuff looks like clutch material. I would go to a forum on your vehicle such as www.automotiveforums.com and search out others with 4T60e.

I think you'll also conclude this does not look good.

History of this filter? tranny?

Looks like you have pieces of various parts. I've seen worse on trannies that functioned perfectly.

With your mileage, quit worrying. Treat is with respect and it'll last. The tranny already has lasted longer then it should've.

I'd backwash the ATF cooler. Stuff like that can clog it.

something isnt right. the pan mag didnt catch all of those pieces, and that pan is too clean, and the trans shifts fine. when a trans grenades in our shop there is a lot more black goo,clutch material, on the bottom of the pan and we have to get a new pan mag after the rebuild, just too much stuff. but, i have seen trans shift fine even though one of the cluctches is all the way on the metal, but not in pieces. is it making any whining or clunking noises

ATF complete maintenance history
87,101 miles factory fill pan dropped & changed with Coastal Dexron III & ATC filter
106,700 miles pan dropped & refilled with AMSOIL ATF & Deutsch filter
128,610 miles pan dropped & refilled with AMSOIL ATF & Hastings filter
0.5 bottle ARX added at 146,963 miles
150,030 miles pan dropped and refilled with NEO ATF & Pioneer filter (which is what you see above)

The magnet usually looks like the photo below of the last change. Of course the magnet when I changed the factory fill was much worse.

[image]
1994PontiacGrandAm30-Jun-07panmagne.jpg
[/image]

The transmission seems fine just like always. I guess that is the reason I haven't been opening up the filter other than not being myself of documenting everything.

crushedcar.gif

Just kidding. More power to your car. May it last a long time. I believe GM and Toyota are venturing together on many projects. Check out the 2008 Malibu. It's a sharp car. I hold a GM mastercard and might purchase one.
patriot.gif
cheers2.gif

Quote:

crushedcar.gif

Just kidding. More power to your car. May it last a long time. I believe GM and Toyota are venturing together on many projects. Check out the 2008 Malibu. It's a sharp car. I hold a GM mastercard and might purchase one.
patriot.gif
cheers2.gif

That must be why my 2006 Toyota is a piece of junk as compared to mt previous Toyotas.

Quote:

amsoil must be good stuff you if have that much stuff in the filter and its still going tdown the road. wow!

Are you sure it wasn't the Neo oil or maybe the Costal oil or maybe the original fill? Though I used Amsoil and noticed going longer before having to add air to the tires.

I always pull the filter about 3000 miles before the warranty expires just to see if I am getting any chunks. None yet. But it seems the 30-35k initial change makes a workd of difference in getting out most all of the break-in debris. I start swapping out ATF at 10k 2 qts every other OCI. Keep the ATF fresh and you will get long life.

I didn't start with the maintenance until 87k miles b/c I didn't have responsibility for the car until then. I agree with you though in regards to fresh ATF.

What did the bottom of the pan look like? Was it littered with ---- like this? How did that stuff get inside the filter/

I wonder if that is something from the filter manf. process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back