micron effeciency (rating) versus insolubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I have read several posts about micron ratings, and I understand the Beta ratio concept decently. What I wanted to post for converstaion was this question: can you draw a reasonable correlation between the beta rating of any particular filter in use, and the UOA it would be associated with?

I offer this for consideration. I like to think that upper end products are worth the expense, if used in an monetarily responsible manner. In other words, synthetic oil and premium filters with EXTENDED OCI's and oil analysis can net big savings, especially in large lube capacity systems. But in economy enviorments, where low milage exists compared to a time line (say 10,000 miles maximum in a year) you might be better with a value based oil and filter.

My experience is this. I occasionally drive a 97 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan pushrod engine. I have a couple of Blackstone reports that show my oils (whatever conventional oil is on sale) do quite well with a value filter (AAP - which is a bargin re-brand of a Purolator regular filter). Reports have shown very low insolubles (both less than .5%). All other wear characteristics are ok, too. I am mentally pre-programmed to an O/FCI at 5K, which is about twice a year.

I am wondering if going to a better filter is worth the extra cost, when my insolubles are so low anyway? Am I drawing an incorrect correlation conclusion between the micron rating and the insolubles? Or, are the two unrelated and this is just a coincidence? If a standard, in-expensive filter does this well, why would I spend more money for better filtration? Is the effect of capturing particulate matter of a specific size (beta rating) directly, in-directly, or not at all coincident with the insoluble findings in a Blackstone report?

Please help me understand.

I'm not clear myself on insolubles. Many, I'm sure, are in the lower micron levels (
One thing is certain, though. A better filter will reduce your particle count. The methods are listed in a sticky on the bypass filter section, but, essentially, you'll get a progressive particle distribution as you go lower in size. The progression will start at a lower micron level the finer your filtration is. Since insolubles MAY have a decent percentage of their accumulated mass residing in the lower micron range, they won't be reduced in a proportional manner with the use of finer filters.

I don't recall, offhand, if insolubles were substantially lower with a tp bypass filter installed in UOA. By that I mean .1-.2 over a decent mileage where .3-.5 would not be out of hand. Again, it's hard to shave significant digits here.
dunno.gif

But..insolubles are but one issue handled (or not) by filtration. Given my own personal testing with differential gauges on higher mileage finer filters (PureOne), I have no reservations with using filters over extended drains (or multiple drains - within reason). I would find it hard to imagine (given my observations) that anyone using mileage as a criteria could load a filter with debris to the point of rendering it ineffectual ...with a good margin of functionality. I tend to think that 15k, accumulated in a timely enough manner, would still not tax the holding capacity of a filter. Naturally, due to the invariable exceptional variables
grin.gif
, YMMV.

Off topic ..
The 3.0 Vulcan is one gem of an engine. My daughter's 91 Taurus has one. Hers gets, roughly, 6 month oil changes with MC 5w-20 and either ST or AA-TotalGrips filters in the oversize (if I have them on hand) FL1A size. It's a beater ..but she's gotten 4+ years out of it and it's still going strong.

Gary - your input makes a lot of sense. Like I said, I'm not sure I can draw a direct relationship between insolubles in a lab report, and a micron rating (beta, nominal, or otherwise). That's why I posted the question. Frankly, I think a large study of UOA's and the filters used with each UOA, but actualy lab analysis of the filter disection could be done, but that's WAY out of my league financially and time wise.

In life, you most always get what you pay for. A better design and manufacture in filters will probably net a better filtration. The question I was trying to pose, is how "good" is "good enough"? Like I said in my original post, I could easily justify premium synthetics and filters when I worked in a maintenance department as a supervisor for Ford several years ago. The timelines for OCI's, the cost of manpower, the severity of environment and use, all added up to financially justify the cost. But at home, for a part-time car, that posts good UOA's with minimal investment, I can change oil/filter as cheaply as paying for an alanysis.

Off topic, BTW, the Vulcan is like an anvil: slow and heavy, but almost indestructable! My sister was driving my first Taurus, a '92 Vulcan, with 270k miles on it, and the ONLY reason it's not running now is that it won't start (phone diagnosis from Indy to D.C. is a bad starter/solenoid) and a brother in law who is a lawyer, not a mechanic! It's a third car for them, so it now just sits. That pains me to no end. I really believe it could go to 400k or better. As a testament to synthetics, which is all it's run it's whole life, I pulled the heads for them at 170k suspecting a coolant leak. Found nothing wrong; the engine was immaculate inside and still could see faint cross-hatching in the cylinder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back