Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 UOA from 05 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me what you think:

05WRXMotulUOA1-1.jpg

Tin is high. i don't understand why Blackstone didn't comment on this one.It shows eleveted piston and bearing alloys.
Everything else is looking quite good. Flashpoint could be better though.

I would definitely take them up on their offer for a free VOA of this Motul. That was be most beneficial when comparing a UOA, at least to an untrained eye.

Quote:

Tin is high. i don't understand why Blackstone didn't comment on this one.It shows eleveted piston and bearing alloys.
Everything else is looking quite good. Flashpoint could be better though.

I'm not an expert but I know the nor,al number ranges and the TIN is not high and the flashpoint is just fine !

Look into the Sn for sure. 4000 miles, should show 1-2 ppm tin, IMHO. 6 seems high, but not high enough to be additive... maybe a virgin oil contaminant. I wouldn't sweat BB's over it, but do another UOA in the future to see......

I agree on the Tin being high. I think you also might have fuel dilution, since Blackstone uses an open cup flashpoint test which tends to read high and obscure fuel dilution issues.

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 does not have any tin in the formulation. Sodium and Silicon look high to me. Motul uses both in 0w40 E-tech, but normally I've seen them deplete to lower levels. As a point of reference, Motul 8100 E-tech 0W40 had 10 ppm of Silicon and 14 ppm of Sodium in it's UOA.

I'd spend the $30 to have Terry Dyson do an additional interpretation of this UOA.

Thanks for the replies. Just for more information, I did replace the air filter with a OEM unit only about 3500 miles ago. And I just checked yesterday to make sure it was seated well and it was all good. Also, this being a WRX, it was driven hard occasionally in the canyons on about 5 different occasions.

So I dunno. Yeah that Tin is a bit worrisome. I'll be sending a virgin sample in as soon as I get a kit from them in the mail. And I'll do another UOA maybe of the 4.8 quarts I just put in 2 weeks ago sometime down the road. I'm debating whether I should pump a early sample (2k miles use) out of the dipstick hole or wait till I need to change the oil. Any suggestions on what I should do and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back