MS 6395 -- What oils meet it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched this spec. but found nothing on it.

Wife's new Pacifica (4.0L V6) requires this MS 6395 spec. I have a garage full of SM rated Quaker State dino, Havoline dino (old recipe), Valvoline DuraBlend, as well as two varities of Quaker State synthetic. Only one (one of the Q.S. synthtics) says it meets this requirement.

What about this MS 6395? Am I right in assuming that since the other oils don't say anything about it, they don't meet it? Or is it a given that they do? Thanks gents.

-Scott

VALVOLINE PREMIUM CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL
Valvoline Premium Conventional multigrade motor oils are formulated with advanced additive technology and highly refined, premium quality basestocks that protect today’s engines against undesirable deposits, contamination, and viscosity and thermal breakdown under severe service conditions. They meet the performance requirements of virtually all naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged gasoline fueled passenger cars and light duty trucks, including European and Japanese vehicles*.
The Valvoline Premium Conventional Motor Oil Advantage
• High Temperature Protection: Resists breakdown in the most severe engine environments.
• Low Temperature Protection: Flows easily at low temperatures, reducing wear at start-up.
• High Detergency: Fights formation of sludge and varnish deposits that reduce engine life.
• Wear Protection: Contains anti-wear additives that dramatically reduce engine wear. Meets European and Japanese
Wear requirements.
• Turbo Approved: Provides excellent protection to critical turbo unit components.
• Fuel Economy: Improves fuel economy in new and old vehicles.
Approvals/Performance Levels
Viscosity Grade/Other
API SM/SL
SAE 5W-20 SAE 5W-30 SAE 10W-30
ILSAC GF-4 & GF-3
Energy Conserving
DaimlerChrysler MS-6395M
cheers.gif

Castrol GTX does as well. Just do a search for the spec on Google. It looks like there are several others you can easily spot.

I was looking at the same thing, here is what I know so far. I am sure there are more, but have not generated a full list yet.
This is for 5w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights.

Valvoline Durablend
Valvoline Conventional
Pennzoil
Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 5000
Mobil 7500

Note: Castol GTX and Syntec state they they "meet the fill requiremnts of Ford, Honda and Chrysler but while it directly references the ford spec, it does not specifically state the 6395 Chrysler spec, or the honda for that matter.

Thanks guys. Nice work Herdfan. I too had resorted to looking at each website to see what meets it. Have you come across some that are different letters following the numbers, like 6395N or 6395M? That too threw me for a loop.

I have, bet I can tell from reading on here and a couple of Dodge and Jeep sites, the M/N indicates revisions to the cold temp. flow requirements.

I normally am not so picky about oil, but my 2007 4.7 Jeep XK is one of the Chryco vehicles that went from the 5w-30 to the 5w-20 recommendation after the 2006 model year without any changes to the engine. This concerns me a little, so I figured I should stay within the 6395 if I am going to run the 5w-20, since I really do not think it is thick enough for that V8. I am running PP 5w-30 right now, but will run 5w-20 in the near future.

I know Castrol GTX 5w-20 meets it, their web site states it, I also believe that chevron and havoline 5w-20's also meet it.

When I first got my 04 Neon I was looking into this heavily. I actually got the latest spec from Mopar and it was with one exception was LINE for LINE GF-4. So SL GF-3 with MS-6395 was oil that met GF-4 before it was finalized.

Just before the release of the 5000,7500, and 15000 Mobil stuff they had a reformulated Drive clean that was SL GF-3 MS-6395. One of the few at the time. Then once I new it was GF-4 which came out in force just after that, it is not worth the time to worry about any more.

So get yourself any SM GF-4 oil and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: Herdfan

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 EP

Neither of the above are certified to meet MS-6395. Not that they don't pass it with flying colors, but ever since EM had a falling out with FCA, EM has not actively sought MS-6395 approval for Mobil 1.

As I recall, GTX & Edge don't list it on the bottle but if you go through the PDS sheets online they do.

I use PUP for an oil that meets the MS6395 spec. Their 5W20 and 5W30 grades meet the spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back