Tips for loosening a stuck drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last two oil changes I've used an extractor because I couldn't loosen the drain plug. Well it's time to change the oil again and this time I'm determined to get the drain plug off. I tried earlier today and was not successful. Any suggestions?

The car is an 03 Accord V6.

Go to the store and get Rislone KarbOut
This stuff is a strong solvent which will dissolve anything around it and it is also a partial lubricant.
Get a rachet, and just push. Putting some KarbOut on every few pushes

I guaruntee if you try hard enough, it will work.

Get a good 6 pt socket on it if it isn't already rounded off. I think it's 14mm.

Make sure you are turning the right way! Not to insult your intelligence but the way it sticks out the back of the oil pan someone might get confused.

My main concern with the extractor is that I'm not getting all of the oil out. That, and the fact that I've already bought a fram sure drain which I want to replace the drain plug with.

6pt, as mentioned, if too rounded try a smaller size and DRIVE in on with a hammer. Over the years I've removed dozens by setting a cold chisel against nut's shoulder and hammering untill chisel bites shoulder and turns nut loose (this method ain't for the faint hearted,,but 100% effective). Or take to an experienced repair shop and have a bolt welded to old drain plug,then turn out with new bolt's head while everything's still HOT. OR take it to an experienced repair shop and just say "I need an oil change".

Bob

Why is it stuck? Is the threads messed up or is drain plug rounded off? You may be able to use vise grips or something to really bite down on it to get it out. Drain plug will be trash after though. You may get a tap to clean threads afterwards before installing new plug or drain. Where you at in Texas?

What HAVE you been using to try and loosen the drain plug? That's what I'd like to know out of curiosity.
grin.gif

I like to use a long double box end wrench 13mm on one end and 15mm on the other for my drain plug. It's longer and thicker than a regular 15mm combination wrench, so I can put some serious torque on it. When I tighten mine, I put my whole shoulder into it until it just flat out won't go any further. My drain plug has a nice feel; it'll come to a complete dead stop when it's tight.
smile.gif

"When I tighten mine, I put my whole shoulder into it until it just flat out won't go any further. My drain plug has a nice feel; it'll come to a complete dead stop when it's tight."

Who is it watches over fools and small children?

Bob

Since you already bought a fram sure drain i'm assuming you won't need the original drain plug. One time my mom's drain plug was stuck on her car so tight that I used a pipe wrench to get it off. It practically destroyed the head of the plug but it got it off. It basically digs into the plug to get a good grip on it then you're able to pull it off.

I always use the biggest ratchet I own with a 6pt socket and whack it with the BFH. If that fails me, I just yank on it until it either comes out, or my arms cry in pain.

I was using a socket wrench to get the plug off. It's been stuck from the time when Wally world last changed the oil back in September. Since then I've done two oil changes using an extractor myself. This will be the third since last September.

I'd probably use vise grips. Very effective if you really tighten them well ....so you can barely get them closed.

I'm thinking Wal-Mart might of put it on cross threaded with an impact gun. If it ever does come off, it'll probably take the threads with it. It's not gonna be pretty.

Hopefully my above scenario is not the case and it's just on real tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back