Mobil 1-Less people using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Mobil oil website and they tested their Mobil 1 in Las Vegas in taxi cabs.After 116,000 miles the internal parts were still good to use in these cabs .Have many people switched from Mobil 1 to another synthetic oil because of the latest Mobil 1 formula?Thanks Joe
patriot.gif
whistle.gif

The general trend on here as been move to any SM conventional over a 5-6k mile interval. That is what I've seen. And in all honestly, it's probably the best way to go.

What was the OCI for those cabs, Dual? If they're doing 3K, 5K OCI, it wouldn't matter if they ran M1 syn, or any SM-graded Dino out there, or SL either for that matter. This inference that M1 is the reason those engines are clean is SUCH a lie. We're used to that from Exxon/Mobil of course, which is why it's fallen out of favor a bit around here. Also, there are fewer lemmings at the AA and AZ buying the stuff, too. Every time I'm in there, WalMart, too, the bottles are sitting there, fully stocked, dusted over with age, and all the other brands moving.

The OCI is the reason those engines are clean, and it doesn't matter much what the oil is, especially at the OCI I can imagine they used, 3K or 5K tops. Heck, standard-issue M1 is a GroupIII conventional oil anymore, there's certainly nothing special about the stuff anymore, and the price only goes up on it.

Quote:

What was the OCI for those cabs, Dual? If they're doing 3K, 5K OCI, it wouldn't matter if they ran M1 syn, or any SM-graded Dino out there

If I remember correctly, they did 15k changes and it was supposed to be based on the EP formula.

Welcome to the world of Big Oil.

I used to recommend M1 to friends, family, customers as it was one of the few largly PAO based products. Now I feel like I mislead them.

However; M1 is still turning in excellent UOAs and the pour points are considerably lower than other highly respected Gp3 oils like PP. I sure don't care for the response we get from Mobil though. Ed

Quote:

I discontinued using it because they reply to questions in a twisted, deceiving, cover-up manner.... not because I disliked their oil.

Same here.

The flaw in that test is that they did 15,000 mile OCIs with Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and then compared the results to 15,000 mile OCIs with conventional oil.

So it's an obvious "No S***" that the synthetic kept things clean and reusable, while the conventional sludged things up and had increased wear.

Quote:

The flaw in that test is that they did 15,000 mile OCIs with Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and then compared the results to 15,000 mile OCIs with conventional oil.

So it's an obvious "No S***" that the synthetic kept things clean and reusable, while the conventional sludged things up and had increased wear.

Exactly. That's when I completely wrote Mobil 1 off. They ran the conventional oil 5 times as long as it should be run under those driving conditions. Hello? Is that a fair test? ---- no. If they had changed the conventional oil every 3000 miles and the Mobil 1 every 15,000 it would have been fair. And none of the engines would have been sludged up or had abnormal wear. But then Mobil 1 wouldn't have "won." As it was, it's an illusory victory, however.
nono.gif

I switched after 2 UOA's that weren't that great on my wife's RX330. I will be doing a UOA on PP to see how it compares later in the year.

If you look at the "Las Vegas Test" Video and photos, there is plenty of varnish and such in the Mobil 1 EP motors they tore down.

I wrote off Mobil 1 well before this test, but it was the nail that closed any chance of me using it again.

IF I was going to pay full price for oil, Amsoil XL for 7,500 miles would be my choice.

Take care, Bill

Their price raising has probably been just marketing. I doubt that they every had a price raise because they spent more on the components that actually make up the oil. They sell enough of the stuff to edge it every now and then.

Quote:

If they had changed the conventional oil every 3000 miles and the Mobil 1 every 15,000 it would have been fair.

I don't see it this way. I'm not sure what the issue is really. The test was supposed to compare M1 to conventional oil. They are simply saying, if you don't want to change the oil every 3,000 miles try M1 EP. This is what happens when you run regular oil that long (sludge) so yes, M1 EP is a better oil and you're paying "more" for the extend drain capability of M1 EP.

I don't like M1 EP simply because it hasn't been all that impressive compared to Amsoil. Although Amsoil's own testing showed it to be pretty ---- good. Not because of marketing.

Quote:

Quote:

If they had changed the conventional oil every 3000 miles and the Mobil 1 every 15,000 it would have been fair.

I don't see it this way. I'm not sure what the issue is really. The test was supposed to compare M1 to conventional oil. They are simply saying, if you don't want to change the oil every 3,000 miles try M1 EP. This is what happens when you run regular oil that long (sludge) so yes, M1 EP is a better oil and you're paying "more" for the extend drain capability of M1 EP.

Buster, that's just ridiculous. Neither the oil maker or the car manufacturer would recommend running conventional oil 15,000 even under ideal conditions. This was not a fair test. If they were going to run the conventional 5x longer than recommended they should have run the Mobil 1 75,000 miles. That would have been a fair comparison.

People are scared to go 5k miles on regular oil, so what should Mobil have compared it to, in order to prove Mobil 1 is capable of 15,000 mile drains and more expensive for a reason?

Quote:

People are scared to go 5k miles on regular oil, so what should Mobil have compared it to, in order to prove Mobil 1 is capable of 15,000 mile drains and more expensive for a reason?

crackmeup.gif

You don't get it? The only way they could "prove" that was to rig the test by running the conventional oil five times as long as recommended!

What they should have done is run the conventional for 3000 miles and the M1 for 15,000 and then compared the cost of five oil changes vs 1 oil change. But then they wouldn't have had all those nice sludged up engines to take pictures of.

There have been people on the board that have refered to Mobil 1 as just an average motor oil. Many others have agreed with it. My 1st thought was I wouldn't have much problem running Mobil 1 20,000 miles.

What really average oil like regular Castrol GTX, pennzoil etc. would you be willing to try in your engine for a single, 20,000 mile oil change? I wouldn't want to try those regular oils in my engine for that long. But I wouldn't mind seeing some moron that calls Mobil 1 average run Castrol GTX in their engine for 20K miles and screw it up, while I'd drain out the Mobil 1 out as if it were any other normal day.

Looks like Mobil 1 isn't so average after all and this Las Vegas tests prove it.

I dunno when I was kid some how it was ingrained in my head that Mobil 1 was the ultimate slickest oil ever. I think I remember commericals in National Geographic and on T.V. though I can't explicitly remember anybody telling me Movbil 1 was the best except for one guy who owned a Porsche well a vw porsche the 944, I knew at that time that a mustang 5.0 could beat the ---- out of that porsche in a drag race yet still somehow it was beaten into my head that Mobil1 was the best ever. Thank ---- for BITOG as I would still think it was this way. It saddens me that most of the population still thinks this way. I dunno if I would run Mobil1 in my car if were free. well yeah I would but... It still surprises one to see dino out do syn in 5000 mile oci wear numbers. I must be missing the big picture...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back