VSOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can you buy it?
dunno.gif

For what little it's worth, here's what Valvoline publishes.

Technical Data

Appearance Dark, brown liquid
Specific Gravity 0.8983
Viscosity, cSt @ 100 C 100
Zinc, weight % 0.270
Calcium, weight % 0.102
Magnesium, weight % 0.081

There are three other VOA on this stuff from past years and all three have much, much higher zinc and phosphorus levels, but the three vary considerably also. I wonder if this stuff has an extreme variability in production. It just makes no sense. Based on the numbers above, I wouldn't buy anymore. It'll only bump your moly about 50 ppm and you can get 300 ppm moly already in Maxlife oil.

I wonder if the individual additives separate during storage and therefore must be mixed before sending in a sample? We do know that engine oil additives will stratify during storage so why not VSOT?

Quote:

There are three other VOA on this stuff from past years and all three have much, much higher zinc and phosphorus levels, but the three vary considerably also. I wonder if this stuff has an extreme variability in production. It just makes no sense. Based on the numbers above, I wouldn't buy anymore. It'll only bump your moly about 50 ppm and you can get 300 ppm moly already in Maxlife oil.

I agree, SLOB blows this stuff away....i'll keep using my SLOB.
drool.gif

Quote:

I wonder if the individual additives separate during storage and therefore must be mixed before sending in a sample? We do know that engine oil additives will stratify during storage so why not VSOT?

IMO this is a good point.

I have an old paint shaker that I run it on before usage as I usually use 1/2 bottle or so.

It's been reformulated guys, it's as simple as that. Take a look at the last VOA which is very similar. The goodies are pretty much gone except for some moly. End of story.

Quote:

7/11/07 Bstone

Moly 451

Cal 1081....

Is this analysis for the entire bottle or is it for per serving? (meaning per 5 oz serving and there being 3 servings per bottle)

Quote:

It's been reformulated guys, it's as simple as that.... The goodies are pretty much gone except for some moly....

And it's not nearly the large amount of moly shown on older VOAs.

Can someone confirm this? Does VSOT no longer contain the moly that i was looking for? Did i waste my money?

Say it isn't so!
pat2.gif

Quote:

Is this analysis for the entire bottle or is it for per serving? (meaning per 5 oz serving and there being 3 servings per bottle)

It's in parts per million, so not related to serving size. If you put 5 oz in a 150 oz crankcase you get 1/30th the moly spread through your crankcase. So the 451 would become 15 by dilution.

Quote:

Where'd the boron and antimony go?

Boron is long gone, though we don't know what antimony is since Blackstone doesn't normally test for it. Possibly Valvoline boosted antimony to make up for other additives they took out, but I wouldn't count on it. For now VSOT doesn't look much different than MEP except thicker.

Now there is a Professional version of VSOT but it's not available OTC. Maybe it is a different formulation than what were looking at here?
dunno.gif

Check this thread about the Professional version. Our member ssj4 found some on the shelf and got lucky (this is not available OTC AFAIK).

Professional stuff on the left:
img2694xr1.jpg

The bottle on the left is what I got from Napa a few weeks ago. I'm going there tomorrow for a few things. Maybe I should grab another case if they have it.
dunno.gif

Grabbed another 3 bottles this AM, it's the "professional" grade FWIW. Left 2 bottles on the shelf for someone else as I now have enough for almost 2 years.

I still think we should do though mixing of the entire bottle before sending in a sample for analysis. I'm not convinced that stratification is not playing a part in the analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back