Engine oil and high humidity levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have pretty much finished my experiement. I have noticed in prior years that engine oil will oxidize quicker in the winter months than in the summer months. I live on the west coast of British Columbia, and from about November 11 to the middle of April, it rains. But when I talk about rain, I mean that it rains for at least 60 to 70 days in a row. The bulk of my driving is on the highway, so my car is consistantly ingesting spray, mist from other cars on the highway. I have noticed that the oil becomes very dark very quickly. At about the 5000 km mark, the oil is dark, and I assume that it has been oxidized by the water that is inherently absorbed by the oil from day to day driving. And to mention, I am a religious Mobil 1 user.

In the summer months, the weather is far more dry, and my oil stays far more cleaner for much longer, thus extending my OCI.

Has anyone else experienced this. I know that some people live in humid climates. But I am refering to not only humid climates, but the constant spray and mist that a vehicle injests in very wet and humid areas.

Please weigh in.

Westcoaster
canada.gif

welcome Westcoaster! I sure hope you aren't stuck at the Canada line construction site most of the time...

Several things of notice here:

1) what vehicle are you driving? what mileage, maintenance record?

2) what is your VOA/UOA?

3) what is your OCI?

4)have you ever replaced/service your PCV valve before or complete tuneups?

-oil colour bears no relevancy in terms of how the oil "oxidises" or even how well your motor oil has been holding up to. In fact, there are some oil that is darker than ink starting from day-1.

-You need to have UOA to support your observation for UOA will tell you how much insoluables you have and also what % of moisture does it contains at the end of your OCI interval.

-Don't forget that gasoline exhaust gas contains a fair amount of moisture inside (H2O) so your "so-called" ingestion of moisture while coasting down the road in the rain bears no relevancy whatsoever (IMHO) (and you think your combustion chamber will let those moisture leak through and mix with motor oil in large quantities enough to cause havoc??)

Lastly, I would like to point out that the major contributing factor to motor oil base oxidation is heat....

Q.

p.s. I could be living in your neighbourhood you know

Quote:

Quote:

Higher humidity increases engine wear as an independent factor.

So what should you do to reduce this?

1. Change oil more often.
2. Go for longish drives every week to evaporate moisture buildup in the crankcase.
1 or 2 is generally sufficient, not needed to do both.

[censored] Canada line construction i was stuck on cambie for 4 hours last week, i was trying to get from city hall to my house a ten min commute or 5.6KM, i have to do a oil change because of that im sure oil temps were through the roof it was like 38 degrees C that day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back