Redline vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

""Please, my intention was not to "trash mouth" Redline.""

Sorry it sure sounds like it I think you need to know more what you are talking about before blabing on.

Thanks G, you da man! (get it lol, ha ha)

Bruce

I've already apologized twice. What more do you want?

I've restored your ability to post in all the forums. Now be a good BITOG citizen, okay?
thumbsup.gif

Something didn't work there.

I thought I wrote something but it didn't show up.

Soooo,

Thanks G, You da Man (oh now I see, I put it inside of your quote - oops

I appreciate ALL the input, but at this point it's all mute. That is until I get a new engine. We blew ours Sat nite in the feature lap 16 of 20 coming down the front stretch, threw a rod. It went out the front and rear of the engine. Thank [censored] for the fire wall!!! My concern was for my 13 yr old son, who was driving and the possiblilty of a fire. My son was safe!!

NOW to find an engine!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I sure didn't mean to open this big of can of worms. you all are sure passionate about your lubricants. Fellow racers at the track use Royal Purple and probably swear by it. The guy I had bought our car from used Redline, and agin swore by it. Another buddy of mine that runs a dragster uses dinosaur juice, BUT he was the one that told me how good AMSOIL is.
I appreciate all the information and comments and will probably just have to take the plunge.

THANKS!!

Before you take the plunge you might want to consider Brad Penn's Penn Grad 1 racing oil. This is good stuff. Top Fuel racers swear by it because of its ability to resist shear even with brutal amounts of fuel dilution.

Every once in a while I go to the boat drags ,when rebuilding the nitro engines between rounds, they all look the same. Really in need of a rebuild it is incredible .

I've been using REDLINE for over 20 years and I've been to their NEW Facility in Benica California numerous times and it is a "State of the Art" Facility and it is CLEAN, So whatever idiot thinks he can post information without any FACTUAL Data is wrong!

I am not a dealer and I don't get oil for free. I am a end user like most of us.

Gary Williams
Interphase Racing
South Carolina
mad.gif
mad.gif
thread.gif

I have been doing a lot of searching, and I think I've found the original text that lazaro's first post was replying to. Let me make clear, I am doing this solely because I want to dredge through the material available and find out the facts. I am not biased in any way, nor am I implying that one brand is superior to another. So please, nobody overreact.

The following is an excerpt from a county website, giving advice on proper car maintenance. It was written by a person named Hib Halverson; who he is or what his credentials are, I have no idea. The closest I could find to the date of origination is February of '99. This is the actual link to the article in its entirety.

"The results of these tests were just what I expected. While Amsoil might be good stuff coming right out of a bottle; after it's been run in an engine for relatively short periods, it clearly falls short of a lubricant that I would put in my Corvettes or, for that matter, the engines in my other two "beater" cars.

As a manufacturer of high-performance synthetic lubricants interested in making oils that enhance the durability of engines that use them, Red Line does a great deal of testing of antiwear additives, friction reducers and synthetic base oils. There are many components which it could add to its products to make them perform better in ASTM tests on unused oils. However, their goal is selecting a specific oil chemistry that adequately protects a running engine not simply obtaining good test numbers for advertising and marketing purposes.

Red Line had some samples of fresh Amsoil Series 2000 analyzed. Based on that data, they told me they believe some of Amsoil 2000's components are highly chemically reactive, which could allow the oil to react with steel very aggressively in the new oil test and get good numbers. However, when exposed to blowby gases in an operating engine; they think these additives deactivate rapidly, bringing the wear characteristics right back to what you would find with any synthetic oil."

After having read the whole article, I was left feeling that the author was biased against Amsoil, but that in itself doesn't tell me if these claims are fact or fiction. The argument is a sweeping accusation of Amsoil products, while being undescriptive and using very broad terms. I have no engineering background of any sort, so I don't even have a point of reference to start with.

So, I wonder. Is there any validity to this article at all? Does the science back up this man's claims, or is it just twisted data meant to serve a biased opinion?

Furthermore, why can't I be satisfied with ONE oil and stick with it?!

Seems like this story changes every time it's retold on the internet. The "highly chemically reactive, which could allow the oil to react with steel very aggressively in the new oil test and get good numbers." is some new fiction, or maybe I just don't remember it from 1999. The only grain of truth is that Redline took umbrage to Amsoil using their name in the 4-ball test comparison, so Amsoil stopped using the Redline name.

Both are good oils, for different markets, but I suspect Redline is not liking Amsoil's usage in more and more race venues and OEM's.

Old old article. Irrelevant too, with today's oils being much different. I never agreed with RL's stance though even back then. I did for a hot minute but that was it.

I remember reading the actual article a while back and what I recall is that Redline showed that their oil gave more HP over time in the motor as the additives did their thing and that the Amsoil curve was more linear. Redline showing less friction after less than 1k mi. while showing more before. This was in response to a 4 ball wear test done by someone associated with Amsoil that showed the Amsoil wear scar to be 60% as large as Red Line's.

How this relates to the real world (like the 4 ball test) or consecutive OCIs with the same oil and street vs racing motors that tend to have more blow-by is unknown. Draw your own conclusions.

I can't for the life of me find the article so take this at face value. It's been a while and it didn't relate to me directly so my memeory could be a bit off.

This was started by someone associated with Amsoil and responded to by Red Line in a pretty good looking paper with graphs. I'm sure that both companies would prefer if it just went away but many Amsoil dealers show that 4 ball test on their sites.

These are obviously both great products but appication comes to mind and I wish that Red Line just didn't give the 4 ball test credibility by responding to it in the first place. Other oils like RP smoke that test. Doesn't mean that they're better overall. Maybe we can't find the Red Line response for this reason. They pulled out of the spitting match. Amsoil may have also but many of their independent dealers are keeping it alive. Thank goodness we've got guys like Pablo here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back