Redline vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using Redline in my 600cc Honda F3 minisprint. I'm thinking about switching to AMSOIL. Is there any data comparing the two??

welcome.gif

Amsoil compares their oils to just about every over the counter oil and prints volumes about it. But I've never seen Redline in any of their comparison literature.

Quote:

I'm currently using Redline in my 600cc Honda F3 minisprint. I'm thinking about switching to AMSOIL. Is there any data comparing the two??

Amsoil's policy is generally to not compare to other small boutique oils. The marketing reason is simple – why make customers aware of the competition? BUT – even if there were comparative data from Amsoil or Redline it would be ridiculed, and perhaps rightly so.

chkiaar – I suspect you are asking about any data – regardless of source. There really isn’t much out there with good side by side testing in anything that comes close to your application.

That said – tell us more about your application, the engine, the oil capacity, etc don’t spare the details.

Thanks!
welcome.gif

I pretty much gave the particulars, Honda 600cc F3 engine used in a mini sprint race car on 1/4 mi dirt track. Rev limiter set @ 14k, use 3.5 qts. I change the oil and filter (K&N 303) every 4 races.
I've never considered Redline a "small boutique company" and I also realize that data is normally skewed by each company. This is why I came to this site, I had hoped to get some UNbiased data.

Your best bet is to search the UOA forum and compare Redline and Amsoil UOAs. This will give you a relative idea of how these oils perform, but won't be very useful as a predictor of how either would perform in your particular application.

Whats wrong with Redline?..it's a mighty fine oil, but so is Amsoil,they both have great base stock's and add's, i don't think Amsoil would protect any better then RL IMO..

Quote:

I pretty much gave the particulars, Honda 600cc F3 engine used in a mini sprint race car on 1/4 mi dirt track. Rev limiter set @ 14k, use 3.5 qts. I change the oil and filter (K&N 303) every 4 races.

I've never considered Redline a "small boutique company" and I also realize that data is normally skewed by each company. This is why I came to this site, I had hoped to get some UNbiased data.

So that's a decent sized sump. What viscosity Redline are you running? I'm forming some idea of which oils to compare.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Side Bar: By most standards Redline is a very small company. Think in terms of Mobil, Shell/Pennzoil, Chevron, (SOPUS), Castrol, and even Valvoline. Amsoil is larger than Redline. Not that it matters. But for sake of conversation Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, and a host of other small players, including European companies are referred to a “boutique oils” in the sense they aren’t ubiquitous.

Can I give my 2 cents? Amsoil for long runs, Red Line for short runs. Both good products, both a bit different. Your vote only counts when you buy one or the other. I think that Al and Roy might enjoy a dinner together, and they would agree, different but good.

Heard through the grapevine (one that consider to be reliable) that Redlines manufacturing facility is filthy. Not that that means the oil is bad. But if they can't maintain the facility, then...... Amsoil on the other hand I understand is spotless and completely state of the art. I plan to visit there sometime in the next 12 months.

And yes I'm an Amsoil dealer so I'm a little biased, but it doesn't change what the grapevine said.

Quote:

Heard through the grapevine (one that consider to be reliable) that Redlines manufacturing facility is filthy. Not that that means the oil is bad. But if they can't maintain the facility, then...... Amsoil on the other hand I understand is spotless and completely state of the art. I plan to visit there sometime in the next 12 months.

And yes I'm an Amsoil dealer so I'm a little biased, but it doesn't change what the grapevine said.

This is totally unprofessional and a good example of why the typical Amsoil salesman ranks right up there with used car salesmen.
nono.gif

Does Redline make a 10W-50?

I recommend Amsoil TRO Racing 20W-50 for hot, high fuel dilute MeOH racing. For a bigger engine I might recommend SAE 60, the lighter the more power you can put to the ground. The TRO actually has start-up temp properties equivalent to a 15W and better than the Redline 15W-50.

Everyone please accept my apologies if I offended anyone with the remark about the rumour I have heard about Redlines facilities. I cannot confirm this information to be true. As well I have only heard good things about the products.

Again I apologize. I am in no way ranking with a used car sales man.

Red Line Oil vs AMSOIL

Recently Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation mailed an article to AMSOIL Dealers outlining results of testing done on AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil and Red Line products. AMSOIL finds the article flawed in both its marketing approach and scientific methodology.
Initial Red Line testing of an unused sample of AMSOIL Series 2000 20W-50 Racing Oil in the ASTM D4172 Four Ball Wear Test yielded results consistent with those appearing on the Series 2000 label. That is, AMSOIL Series 2000 20W-50 provided nearly three times better wear protection than Red Line 20W-50.

The article, however, goes on to report results of used oil testing using the ASTM D4172 Test. ASTM tests, as any informed entity in the lubricants industry knows, are designed for use with new (unused) lubricants, not used oil.

There are two problems with testing used oil. First, the conditions of testing are uncontrollable. While Red Line states the service conditions under which the samples operated were the same, variables including fuel and glycol dilution, contaminant levels, filtration, driving conditions sampling techniques and many more are virtually impossible to control.

The second problem is repeatability. AMSOIL attempted to replicate Red Line's findings by testing samples of used oil. The results were inconsistent with Red Line's and failed to meet the repeatability requirements of the ASTM D4172 test method. This failure is the result of testing an oil along with its contaminants.

Red Line's claim that their oil is designed to become more effective as it reacts with blowby gases is absurd. Clearly, if blowby gases improved the anti-wear characteristics of lubricants, then lubricant manufacturers would expose their products to such gases during the manufacturing process. The fact is, lubricant performance should not depend on the uncontrollable reactions of blowby gases with the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back