Best place to buy reman Quadrajet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on replacing the q-jet on my old truck, And I want to buy a quality replacement thats not too hard on the wallet from a good company. I was looking at Summit and jegs but those are a little pricey (around $300.00). I was looking here http://www.guaranteedcarbs.com/index.html. I can get the one I need from there for $198.00. I'm really stumped on this one, and I hate to throw my money away so I would greatly appreciate some help.

patriot.gif

offtopic.gif
I don't know your mechanical ability, but you may want to consider a rebuild kit and DIY. I have rebuilt a Holley, Carter AFB and Quadrajet carbs all with great success. I think people overestimate the difficulty. Just a suggestion.

I could do it, But I'd rather just buy one already done and call it a day.

Rebuilding the original carburator may be easier compared with the work needed to adjust a new one to your vehicle.

When I was learning to work on cars, I was rebuilding carburators long before I was doing brakes.

Well I would rebuild it but It's not the right one for the truck and it would need bushings installed in the throttle assembly (Which I don't have the tools for) and the main body is probably warped and no tellin what else is wrong with it. I would rather just buy a good reman and save myself the headache. Oh and I want one with electric choke too.

I had a similar problem with a Rochester 2 bbl, so in some cases it's just better to get a reman carburetor. I got my last one from Carquest Auto Parts, and it did pretty well. It came w/instructions on how to set idle mixture. The jetting is already done for you, so idle mixture and idle speed were only adjusting I had to do. I got a new electric choke while I was at it.

Since you mentioned throttle bushings, I agree - buy a remanufactured carburator. I bought one for my 71 Cutlass way back when from JC Whitney. It was the best price at the time. $198 doesn't sound bad.

A Q Jet is a great carb, when matched and set up properly.
But why not get an aftermarket 4 barrel for MUCH cheaper. They are jetted almost perfectly in the box, and work well.

I sent one to The Carb Shop once. (Brad Urban) They bronze bushed the throttle plate where the shafts go through and all sorts of other things. I took it out of the box, set the idle mixture and I was off. Worked great.

Quote:

A Q Jet is a great carb, when matched and set up properly.
But why not get an aftermarket 4 barrel for MUCH cheaper. They are jetted almost perfectly in the box, and work well.

The only one I might consider is the edelbrock performer #1406 and buy the time I buy the carb, adapter plate and pay for shipping it's going to be around $340. I'd rather not put more into the truck than I have too.

Quote:

Personally, I think this place is the premier Q-Jet source.

Yeah, I've been drooling over a stage 1 streetmaster. I can get it for $349.95, Not bad but I'd rather try to find something cheaper first.

My dad (who is devoid of all but the most basic mechanical ability) put a rebuilt quadrajet from Advance Auto Parts on his '70 Catalina convertible. Just bolted it on right out of the box and made my brother adjust the choke. It's worked fine for years. Cost a couple hundred, I think.

Well I think I may go with www.guaranteedcarbs.com they are the cheapest and offer a lifetime warranty. Since this is not my daily driver and I only use it about once a week, I'm in no hurry to pick one up. So I'm still open for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back