80K miles on Motorcraft 5w20 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the problem was the oil. Who knows what the other owner did to that car. He could of beat the snot out of it. He could of try so many little tricks and mods with the engine to try to get more HP. For all you know he could of had a blower or NOX on at one time.

Quote:

What does the varnish hurt? The motor must be in good enough shape to put the new heads etc on.

They are LiveWirez from performance distributors.

The car has Castrol GTX in it for now and has been driven about 500 miles since the headswap. I will probably change the oil when I get back before going to Mustang week with Royal purple since I can get it locally. The car will have turbos later this year, and depending on how things work out I may be doing cams later next year, so we will see what a year of RP look like under the valve covers.

Lazaro,

That guy is a little nuts to do that test.
crazy.gif

Don't know what's up with your engine, but 144,000 miles of mostly mc 5w20 in my expy 5.4 with 6k oci's tends to make me think it ain't the oil... as an aside its not unusual for an engine to look that bad after 32k of jiffy lube bulk oil.

Have you pulled the valve covers to see if your looks like mine?? I never said the engine did not run fine, I just said it looked really bad. I used the last 6 quarts I had of MC right after I got home and since I am able to get Havoline synth for $2 a quart I am going to run it for now. The car will probably see less than 5k miles til I get redeploy from Iraq. The car will be in Ohio for a few months having my Turbo Kit built build. Can anyone think of a reason why the havoline synth would be a bad choice with turbos.

I think oils with high levels of Ca are great at keeping the engine clean and free of sludge.

Quote:

One last note... he bought the car in 2002 .... with 32k miles ... 1997 to 2002 .. five years, 32k miles supposedly on the OD.
(Zac I do not doubt your story whatsoever ... I am in doubt as to what the P. O. did with your car)

Looks like a photo of a high mileage engine that didn't get routine maintenance and oil changes. PO probably had the speedometer and odometer turned off.

How is oil pressure? The oil pump is sometimes accidently overlooked when upgrading a high mileage sports car engine.

Zac
offtopic.gif
I saw a story about camel spiders. Are there any where you're stationed?

Thanks alot for serving!

That's why it never rains in the desert. Nobody dares step on those spiders.

If the varnish is flaking off in some places, then you might say it was from the previous owner.

Quote:

All the fleet success stories with the MC oil seem to be for engines that see few cold starts. You should probably be using an oil with a potent detergency additive pack and more indestructible basestock to combat the fuel dilution. I have been using the Syntec 5W-20 at an OCI of 5000miles and the varnishing has been disappearing from the higher splash areas on the topside of the heads. One or more lifter remains sticky and noisy, so varnishing is a thing to be avoided in these engines.

Are many finding increased deposits/sludge in the Mustangs that have called for 5w-20 and have been strictly run on just Motorcraft?

Just to bring this back from the dead.

I got out of the desert and picked the car up with the turbos on it. Rings for #1 and #3 went south so I tore it down at the 105,000 mile mark and under valve covers looked really clean. Ran the Havoline syn from in it for the miles between the head swap and the tear down, I would have pics but was int o much of ahurry to get the heads and all off and to the machine shop.

And for anyone who cares the car put down 430hp to the tires on 6# of boost.

Originally Posted By: Zacharyx
Just to bring this back from the dead.

I got out of the desert and picked the car up with the turbos on it. Rings for #1 and #3 went south so I tore it down at the 105,000 mile mark and under valve covers looked really clean. Ran the Havoline syn from in it for the miles between the head swap and the tear down, I would have pics but was int o much of ahurry to get the heads and all off and to the machine shop.

And for anyone who cares the car put down 430hp to the tires on 6# of boost.

Great to hear! The 4.6's are good little motors. The DOHC ones REALLY love boost; there are a few guys up in TO that have done the Aviator (and some have done the Mark VIII) swap into the SOHC cars and those engines simply breathe far better than any level of port work on the 2V heads.

TEA sells some ported Cobra heads (both the early and the Termi heads) and the termi heads flow in excess of 320CFM at only .500 lift, the early ones still flow over 3.

You still running the stock rods and pistons? The cracked-powder rods and the hypereutectic pistons are the things to watch for in the non-termi mod motors...... They like to fail in a rather dramatic fashion when pushed beyond their limits, which is somewhere above 400RWHP......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back