Old farm tractor oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking thru the lists of topics, I don't see one that covers the above, but here goes anyway. I also am a user of an old tractor forum (Yesterdays tractors) and the oil issue comes up often. As you probably know all old tractors have flat tappets, so there is concern with the removal of zinc from most motor oils. Some have gone to diesel oils like Rotella or Delo. Also, in the old owners manuels, they suggest 30 wt in the summer and 20 wt below 32 degrees. (non detergent) I don't think reliable detergent oils were available in the 50's or earlier. What do you guys think about motor oil for these old beasts?

Does your tractor have a filter? Can you put one on? Is the engine in good mechanical shape? Does it leak or seep oil?

If it doesn't leak, you might consider an engine flush and then a lower priced SAE30 synthetic oil like AMSOIL's Small Engine Oil https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2217_rev9_06.pdf . It uses the older API gasoline and diesel engine oil formulations including higher zinc and phosphorous.

If the engine is in poor shape and leaks, you may still want to install a filter if it doesn't have one and use a High Mileage conventional 10W30 oil that is not API SM.

Slapshot I visit the board you are talking of also on occasion.

From what I have taken here about the additive changes the recommendations I give off of here are for the Rotella/Delo/Delvac. The reason being we have not tested one of these old engines as to what there reaction is going to be without the zinc.

For the time being like Tim said without SM designation will work (SL etc.) I am using up my stock of SL SAE 30W and will most likely use Case IH #1 30W after. Usually have a barrel of it here. Also will use some Amsoil in certain things to try it since I sell it ;^)

I would use and 30 wt diesel oil that you will find at a Farm Supply or Walmart, I wouldnt use a 10w30 or a 15w40 as these engines run fairly loose and I think you will find alot of new leaks as well as consumption. I wouldnt worry about switching to a 20 wt in the winter as the oil is much better now and the flow rate is much better now than when the tractor was put into production.

I would use Delo,Delvac,Rotella 15W40 dureing the warm months. If the tractor is going to be used in winter time with ambient temps below freezeing I would consider useing a 5W40 like Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40.Most 15W40's are safe to use in a gasoline or diesel engine easily down to about 20°F.

Using a multi-grade oil will not cause any issues, the oil is still a 30 weight, or 40 weight, regardless of temperature. The Xw only means it passed a cold cranking test at X temperature, with X specifications. It does NOT mean the oil is physically Xw when cold.

The SM oils won't be an issue, but if you would rather have an SL rated oil, go with any local heavy duty diesel oil, or synthetic oil. I have heard good reports of the Amsoil ACD SAE 30/10w-30 in tractors.

No need to change viscosity during certain parts of the year, in my opinion, as I believe it is an "old school" way of thinking and is no longer necessary.

I have an early 1952 Ford 8N. It has had the same oil in it for at least 11 years. I changed it to Shell Rotella 15w-40 a month or so back. I've used it quite a lot since then. It's had no problems. Doesn't sound any better, and it doesn't sound any worse... so I'm satisfied. Mine also has an open filter type cartridge.

For what it is worth my father in law has about 10 tractors that are for working and about 24 tht are for show. He runs Napa 10W40 in all the gasoline powered tractors year round. His two cylinder John Deers seem to do just fine on it as do his newer tractors. His Diesels get John Deer +50 from a 55gallon drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back