Formula one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see that new kid Lewis Hamilton get pole for the British Grand Prix tomorrow? He, so far, is amazing. only 8 GPs and all finishes in the top three. Leading the World Championship in his rookie year (can't last though). What do you think?

The kid is awesome. Of course it helps that he's driving a competitive car; I don't care how good he is, if he was piloting anything other than the McLaren or the Ferrari this year, he would be a middle or back of the pack runner. Not only is he a phenomenal driver, he's also introduced F1 to a whole new demographic of fans; I know there are other members of BITOG who were there but I went to both the Canadian and US GPs and it was awesome to see him win both races, I witnessed history (and possibly a miracle! Have you heard the latest about Kubica?) in person. I'm sure he's going to win a couple more GPs this season and unless he suffers some incredibly bad luck, he's going to win the championship in this year.

Quote:

Leading the World Championship in his rookie year (can't last though). What do you think?

Your right, his rookie year will end this year. ;-)

As much as I hate to say it, its his interaction with the media thats making him the peoples favorite, on top of his driving ability which is putting him in the spotlight. Contrast his media face with that of kimi. Who's the general population going to listen to?

Alex.

I have been watching F1 since the Michael Schumacher era and Hamilton is the real deal. Lewis Hamilton reminds me of another sports Icon, Tiger Woods. Not because both are black, but because both excel at what they do. Good up-bringing, outstanding preperation and a out right desire to win and be the best is a wonderful combination. I still pull for Ferrari, but Hamilton is the front page story in F1 this year, and rightly so.

Yes, although it would have been good to see Hamilton win his home GP I didn't think it was going to happen. Kimi was just flying. Did you see that lap time after Hamilton pitted?

Kimi's qualifying lap, second place, included an off through the dirt. If not for that he would have had the pole and by F1 standards by a big margin.

Yes, I noted that too. I think that maybe Kimi has come out of the doldrums and that could make this a very interesting year.

When the car is right Kimi is really fast. He does not appear to help much to figure out what makes it fast but can not only drive a fast car fast, he can also drive around problems during the race. The difference between him and Michael is that Michael could do it all, not just drive fast. If Ferrari gets it right for the rest of the season Kimi is going to be in the running for the title.

What I really like about this year is that there are four legitimate contenders for the driver's championship. No more "Schumacher and all the rest". Ferrari wins on some tracks, McLaren on some tracks, who knows maybe BMW could even get a win. (probably not)

One of the remarkable facts about Lewis Hamilton is that he actually received a contract with McLaren when he was 13 years old. He was already doing well in carts, but the McLaren contract meant his family could afford to support his racing dream. I wish I'd had a friend like Ron Dennis when I was 13.

Been watching F1 since the 60's and am a veteran of Watkins Glen, The Bog, Montreal for 18yrs and a trip to the Ring in the late 60's.
Seen lots of good drivers over the years, LH seems like the real thing, very cool under fire and seems to understand racing setups like a 10yr veteran.
As good as Senna, Prost and Schuie, who knows but certainly will need a good car under him, which he now has. You can bet that Renault and Ferrari will have a budget set aside when his contract comes due.

Does anyone else travel to F1 races?
Senna

My goal is to travel to the new F1 face in Abu Dhabi in 2009, if it makes the schedule. I watch religously on TV, but have not been yet. If not Abu Dhabi, the perhaps Hungary or Turkey in '09. Chris

Saw one in Melbourne, and probably will never see one again.

Father in Law rings up and says "Can you do me a favour?"

I say "Yep"

He says "You haven't heard what it is yet"

I say "The fact that you are asking me (he doesn't ask anyone for anything) means that I'll do it".

He says "you'll have to babysit Peter" (better half's youngest brother".

I say "OK"

He says "my other sons knocked it back" (at the babysitting part).

Turned out that they had won a winfield competition (they were newsagents), and had won a ticket for two to fly down to Melbourne GP, and be looked after by Winfield for the opening of their season.

First night was the dinner. Jack V opened that. with a later speech by Allan Moffat. Jim Read and Ed Ordinsky had their cars there along with that circle track family (sorry sprintman, but the name does escape me).

Went up to Ordinsky and his Mitsubishi rally car. Didn't want a sit, but a peek under the bonnet.

Daytimes were spent at the Winfield stand (next to New Ltd), being fed beers by scantily clad Winfield ladies.

Shook hands with Stirling Moss, and got a signature for Junior Brother in law.

seriously the only bad part was BIL's shoes (they reeked, so we put them in the corridor).

I don't think I ever want to attend another, as it would pale.

FIL just smiled when his other two sons complained that I got to go to the GP instead of them.

Shannow, sure sounds like a great time and what an opportunity.
I am going back a bit, but in the 70's at Watkins Glen, at dinner time there was only two or three places to have a decent supper and we used to go to the Senaca Lodge and we just had to stand in line and always there were GP drivers standing next to us waiting for a seat in the back room.
Just a bit of a change from today.
Senna

It was a wonderful opportunity...makes the thought of both paying and standing in the paddock less than appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back