Oil recommendation for 2008 Lexus RX350 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
The dealer told me to leave the "break in" oil in for 5000 miles. I wasn't aware Lexus uses break in oil. I don't know what brand it is but we're keepimg the car for 7 years or 100,000 miles, bought the 7 year 100,000 factory bumper to bumper coverage from dealer for $2000.00, and I don't know when to change or what to use. Don't forget I live in Las Vegas.
By the way, they were running NASCAR at Las Vegas speedway yesterday and they measured 140 degrees F in the pits.
pat2.gif

I would ditch the "break-in" oil after 1000 miles and change to Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 if you wanted to just use conventional you can pretty much go with GTX, Pennzoil, Havoline or MC and have no problem. I have Pennzoil 5w30 in my ES330 and the car has never run smoother.

Personally I would dump break-in at 2-3k. If you're only keeping it to 100k then you pretty much can't go wrong on oil. But if you want to do the next owners a favor, then the choice is important. But for folks to ponder this better - do you plan to go w/ short OCIs, OEM OCIs, or extended OCIs (if extended, how extended)? And what kind've of driving will it see?

Quote:

Personally I would dump break-in at 2-3k. If you're only keeping it to 100k then you pretty much can't go wrong on oil. But if you want to do the next owners a favor, then the choice is important. But for folks to ponder this better - do you plan to go w/ short OCIs, OEM OCIs, or extended OCIs (if extended, how extended)? And what kind've of driving will it see?

I would never keep a Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, or any such cars without a warranty. One problem with the electronics would cost a fortune

Mostly city stop an go traffic.

Here's what I would do: Change the factory fill at 1-2k with a dino of your choice, then at 5k total miles on the vehicle (3-4k on the oil) change it to the synthetic of your choice, after that, the OCI is up to you.

I remember going to that speedway and being in the pit on a hot day! Wow - gets HOTTT!

Should be fine with whatever viscosity it's calling for, pick a good synthetic-blend or synthetic, car's engine will last a long time.

You'll have more issues with heat-wearing items, i.e. coolant hoses, belts, battery, tires, etc. these items wear out much faster in that type of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back