1st timer here, extended drain interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
great site here lots of great info, I wanted to share my experience here also I hope you guys are kind
rugerman.gif

I have a 1990 ford banks turbo 7.3 idi and in 2003 went with Amsoil 5w30 Diesel oil and bypass set up,finally a couple months ago did an oil sample and wonder what you guys think?
I tow alot and idle around also, now it is daily driven and I have 43,000 miles so far without an oil change.
here is my sample www.voogru.com/images/oil1.jpg
hide.gif

Quote:

great site here lots of great info, I wanted to share my experience here also I hope you guys are kind
rugerman.gif

I have a 1990 ford banks turbo 7.3 idi and in 2003 went with Amsoil 5w30 Diesel oil and bypass set up,finally a couple months ago did an oil sample and wonder what you guys think?
I tow alot and idle around also, now it is daily driven and I have 43,000 miles so far without an oil change.
here is my sample www.voogru.com/images/oil1.jpg
hide.gif

sorry I posted the wrong sample
this is my truck www.voogru.com/images/oil2.jpg

I was thinking in general about TBN numbers...and...as long as there is still positive Base Numbers in the oil it should still be able to counteract any acid numbers...true?

Quote:

TBN is over 6. Pretty amazing - how much oil have you added? How many months/years since you started? Since 2003?

I guess keep going!!

I usually add about a gallon every year 10/12,000 miles
I have a rear main seal leak, one day Ill seal up the flexplate bolts.
I went with the HDD 5w30 May 2003 with 32,512 on my 7.3 with unkown history and total milage.
now it has 75,992 miles. I just took a 600 mile trip with 30 gallons of diesel at 75 mph, I guess I cant complain
like I was when I used mineral oil with 3000 oci and
10/12mpg, sure have saved more than $100 since them days.
tombstone.gif

I have a similar truck ('86 6.9L w/Banks Turbo) that I've owned since '87. Nice to see your report. I continue down the dino route but more power to you on your 43K Amsoil miles. May you go another 43K!

PS- At the risk of stating the obvious, I hope you are using an anti-cavitation additive in your cooling system, as the 7.3s had very thin cylinder walls and are prone to getting pinholes through into the bore. Would be a shame to have that happen on an otherwise well maintained truck.

Quote:

I have a similar truck ('86 6.9L w/Banks Turbo) that I've owned since '87. Nice to see your report. I continue down the dino route but more power to you on your 43K Amsoil miles. May you go another 43K!

PS- At the risk of stating the obvious, I hope you are using an anti-cavitation additive in your cooling system, as the 7.3s had very thin cylinder walls and are prone to getting pinholes through into the bore. Would be a shame to have that happen on an otherwise well maintained truck.

thanks for the kind words, and thanks for your concern on my cylinders, I went down that long expensive road
tombstone.gif
and solved my cooling issues with waterless coolant, no more adding coolant in the past 3 years
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back