4.3l V6 vs 4.8l V8 Chevy 1/2 ton mpg???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering a 2007 Chevy 1/2 (new style) ton WT with a 4.8l V8.

It seems from my research that the V8 gets within 1 mpg of the V6 with an addition 100 hp.

Is that possible?

I cant speak on that particular comparison but I know in alot of cases the smaller engine has to work that much harder to move the truck so I would personally go with the bigger motor.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/

Topic covered very well at the above message board.

Surprised me how close the 6 and the 4.8 are in mpg.

But, the Chevy is a heavy truck and seems to me a 6 would have to work harder than an 8.

I got the 4.8. 15/21 mpg city/freeway with several variables affecting actual mpg.

4.8 is plenty for me and I did not want to pay extra for the 5.3.

If money doesn't matter I recommend the 5.3 for various reasons. The extra torque eases driving on hills, etc.

I don't think there is much difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3 regarding mpgs, either.

If you go Chevy I hope your warranty coverage turns out better than my experiences.

I an boycotting GMC/Chevy permanently due to my experiences.

Others have not had the bad luck I have had.

I can't speak for Chevy. But my experience with Ford and their torque laden inline 4.9L six in my 1989 F-150 and my 2002 F-150 with the 4.6L V-8, my vote is with the V-8. I get BETTER mpg, even with the new, to us, oxygenated ethanol laced fuel which reduced my mpg 10%
mad.gif
! Both trucks have 5 speed manual tranny's and are both are extended cabs with 8' beds and the same fiberglass cap, same weight

The V-8 is soooo much nicer to drive on the highway, especially if you have ANY hills where you drive. Plus it's much quieter and more powerful on the highway because it's not straining. Before you say anything both trucks have identical transmission gearing and diff gearing
smile.gif

I'm just speaking from my actual experiences. I purchased both trucks new.

Whimsey

The 4.3 V-6 and the Ford 4.9 isn't a good comparison. I have experience with the 4.3 and it gets better mileage than the V8. I had a 1994 Chevy van that got 21 mpg on the highway, and that's pretty good considering the aerodynamics of a van. I've known several people with the 4.3 5 speed manual combination and they got mid 20s on the highway. Your city mileage will be better with the 4.3 too, as it has 2 less cylinders to feed. If you don't have any heavy towing, I would definitely go with the 4.3.

I've owned two 4.3L 1500's. A 1994 2wd, 5spd and a 1998 4x4, auto. Gas was way cheaper then, so I didn't have meticulous records on it, but I don't recall either hitting 20mpg hywy. They both had more than adequate power for my needs and a V6 'should' be easier and cheaper to maintain. If I was in the market again, I would definately get the 4.8L. Not enough difference in MPG and resale will be much better.

Joel

Quote:

The 4.3 V-6 and the Ford 4.9 isn't a good comparison. I have experience with the 4.3 and it gets better mileage than the V8. I had a 1994 Chevy van that got 21 mpg on the highway, and that's pretty good considering the aerodynamics of a van. I've known several people with the 4.3 5 speed manual combination and they got mid 20s on the highway. Your city mileage will be better with the 4.3 too, as it has 2 less cylinders to feed. If you don't have any heavy towing, I would definitely go with the 4.3.

No, I only do occasional light hauling. Won't be doing any towing and I'll be getting an AT.

My father bought a 1/2 ton gmc w/ the 4.3 a/t ,new, for the gas milage.
He complained about not getting the V8 the whole time he owned it. Actually, he still complains about it and he has not owned it for over 2 years!

The diff. in gas milage is very small. The lack of power is most noticable w/ any hauling and on the interstate.

The 4.3 in a 1/2 ton is a dog IMHO and I had many years of experiance w/ it in that application.

Expect 1 mpg better with the V6 in the city and no difference on the highway. Well worth it for the extra power, if the initial cost isn't too much more.

The EPA ratings on the 5.3L non-flex-fuel version are better than both the 4.3L and the 4.8L. I'd guess that's due to gearing.

I have an '04 Silverado Extended Cab 2wd, 5.3 (non flex fuel), 3.42 gears, with 41,000 miles. I can get 22 mpg on the highway. Neighbor has a truck set up the same, but it is an '05 with a 4.8. I still get better mileage than he does.

The newer models now have 3.23 rear ends.

Why even consider a V6?

I think it depends on how you drive.
The small engine may do a little better if you are a slow driver but at interstate speed the V8 would do as well as the small engine.
If you own a small 4 cylinder car and you are happy with it then you may like the small engine.
If you are not accustomed to driving a underpowered vehicle then you will hate driving that full size truck with the small engine.
You are the only one that really knows what is best for you.
Some say the small engine has plenty of power while others will say it is a dog. Performance is a relative thing it depends on who you are talking to as to what plenty of power really is.

Here's something else. Resale value.

You won't see a full size truck with a V6 on the used side of a dealer's lot in this area, unless some old guy owned it who waxed it every other weekend, and only used it to go fishing in. Otherwise, they'll just wholesale it out. Just not enough of a market.

People expect a V8 in a full size truck. To commercial customers, they don't care, they just look at the bottom line and will buy the V6. They buy them, and then run the wheels off of them.

Do spend the extra several hundred (or so) for a V8. I think you'll be much happier in the long run, and if you trade it in earlier than you expected, you'll get most of your investment in the V8 back into your pocket. A V8 may be more important to the next guy than it was for you... he may want to pull a small camping trailer or a boat.

Get the v-8. Mileage identical or better on hwy, way smoother that 4.3 Resale value better.

Thought of sumpthin'.

My 2004 Silverado is the W/T work truck model. Sought it out since they are the lowest priced version.

Standard engine is supposedly the 6-cylinder but I noticed that all the W/Ts on the lot with the 4.8 did not charge extra for the V8 vice the 6. However, the 5.3 was $900 more.

This may have changed.

If all the V8s were $900 more I would have gone with the 6 since my loads are light and no plans for heavy towing.

Still recommend 5.3 but at least get a V8. Shun the 6. Having a V8 will likely pay off when you sell the truck.

I have a 2006 Sierra 1500 4.3l/5 spd/3.23rear and it provides me with more than adequate power.

The engine is only turning 1700rpm at 100km/hr and it translates into excellent fuel economy. I get 22mpg city/27mpg hwy (19 city/23 hwy in American gallons).

It all depends on how you drive and the v6 suits my driving style just fine. However, looking at the way most people drive(racing from stoplight to stoplight and going way over the limit on the hwy), most people will be better off with a v8 instead of the v6.

It takes the same amount of energy to move the vehicle regardless of the engine installed.
The V-8 is probably a little heavier than the V-6, and probably has somewhat higher internal friction, with 8 pistons vs 6, and eight big end bearings vs 6, and five mains vs four.
Net, the real world difference in fuel consumption would likely be negligible. So, I'd go for the V-8.

Quote:

I'm considering a 2007 Chevy 1/2 (new style) ton WT with a 4.8l V8.

It seems from my research that the V8 gets within 1 mpg of the V6 with an addition 100 hp.

Is that possible?

Gasoline engines are typically most efficient under full loads (while diesel engines are typically most efficient under partial loads). The fuel economy you describe is most consistent with diesel engines. If these engines are diesel engines, then the size of the discrepancy in fuel economy would not be as surprising as it would be for gasoline engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back