Alternator to produce hydrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard this on a CNET Cartalk podcast the other day. Looked it up and thought it was interesting.

From the article:

This new technology was developed using the body of an automobile alternator and converting the inner windings in such a manner that would produce a 3 phase delta output. This 3 phase delta output has been modified to produce a waveform that will more efficiently separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. Once hydrogen and oxygen gasses are generated they are used to supplement the gasoline consumption of the automobile, increasing gasoline mileage.

World Energy Solutions

On first glance, I'd say they have deceived themselves. The gas savings is from disconnecting the alternator. They're probably not loading the alt very much to make a bit of hydrogen.

i don't quite understand the energy equation here...

the engine drives the alternator, which puts that energy into separating H2O into H2 and O2. then they burn that to extract the energy they put into it? where's the extra energy coming from? i would think you'd lose efficiency in all the energy conversion from kinetic->chemical->kinetic?

maybe i'm just not thinking about this correctly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back