Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 vs Mobil 1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
Trying to get opinions on these two oils to see if the price difference between the Shell product and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 (Mobil Delvac 1 5w40) is worth it.
FowVay offered insight...

My opinion is to use the Rotella due to it is a much better value. The only advantage of the Mobil may be it's possibly better for really long drains or slightly better in really cold temps due to its PAO content vs Shell's use of its XHVI base oil, a group III. Both do well on UOA's. My personal favorite is Schaeffer 5W40 full synthetic, a mix of GrpIII and PAO, and priced very close to the Shell.

I ran Rotella T 5W40 synthetic for a long time in my tractors and trucks. I think it is a good oil for the money and some motorbike fellas swear by it. When I started running UOAs on my farm equipment several years ago I switched to Schaeffer 9000. It performs better in my tractors than the Delvac 1 did and that stuff was at that time $28 gallon. Schaeffer oil is not hard to get and there are a couple of guys on this site that can hook you up with it if you want to try it. If I could not get Schaeffer oils I would go back to Rotella synthetic HOWEVER I hear rumors that the current CI-4 plus Rotella Synthetic will not be avalible in the near future. I don't know how much truth there is to it.
dunno.gif
In my case the Delvac 1 which I hear is the same as the 5W40 Mobil TDT 5W40 was nowhere near worth the price of it. Many have said it and it's still true;Schaeffer oils can't be beat for the money. I can't get enough of the stuff
crazy.gif

Any good place to find 5w-40 delvac, all I see at wally world is the 15w-40 version. I was looking at the 5w40 rotella and it contains the SM certification, most oils that are HDEO in the 5W-40 contain the SL or SJ certifications, could this be due to the rigorous energy conserving demands that oils have to go through to get the SM rating. If so then the rotella T would be a great choice since I cannot find any delvac in the 5w40 range.

Quote:

Any good place to find 5w-40 delvac, all I see at wally world is the 15w-40 version. I was looking at the 5w40 rotella and it contains the SM certification, most oils that are HDEO in the 5W-40 contain the SL or SJ certifications, could this be due to the rigorous energy conserving demands that oils have to go through to get the SM rating. If so then the rotella T would be a great choice since I cannot find any delvac in the 5w40 range.

I think most all HDEO's have gone to SM ratings by now. SM = less zinc and phosphorus. Wallyworld in San Diego / Inland Empire just started stocking M1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil, Autozone also has it.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 vs Mobil 1 TDT 5w40

I find D1/TDT the better of the two, but for the price difference you can (almost) change out the RTS twice as often. You're still looking at around $28-$30/gallon for the Mobil product.

Quote:

I think most all HDEO's have gone to SM ratings by now. SM = less zinc and phosphorus.

Someone help me here ... zddp is not the only anti-wear additive available, correct?

The folks at Shell rave about the improved anti-wear capabilities of their CJ-4 (SM) oil. The zddp is lower than the CI-4+ formula, but the anti-wear is better? What's up with that?

Somewhere on this forum I read someone say that there are additives that don't show up in spectro-analysis. Anyone have any insight into that?

Best place that I found to buy it is from the site sponsor for Schaeffers, "Salesrep" (Mark). Contact him. I think you'll find him a great guy to deal with.

Quote:

Nope......my wally world has 5qt. jugs of M1 TDT 5w40 every day for $22.xx.

I think you meant to say 4qt jug, not 5qt. Wally World carries 5qt jugs of M1 flavors except for 5w40 TDT - comes in gallon jugs only.

Quote:

Quote:

I think most all HDEO's have gone to SM ratings by now. SM = less zinc and phosphorus. Wallyworld in San Diego / Inland Empire just started stocking M1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil, Autozone also has it.

delvac 5w40 is 100% synthetic only.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Here's something interesting. Per Shell's current online data:http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn2_4_0.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html
it does not met the oil spec requirements for 2002-2006 engines for CAT (ECF-1), Detroit Diesel and Mercedes Benz (93K214), or Volvo (VDS-3). Being a HD Diesel oil and not meeting the specs for CAT, DDC/MBE, and Volvo is shocking to me.

Delvac 1/M1TDT meets all of those - and more now that the CJ-4 version (Delvac 1 ESP) is out. AVlube.com has it available now if you are looking for a source.

Advance Auto has "all weights" of Mobil 1 on sale thru 29Sept for $4.98. They normally exclude all the EP formulas, but had 16 qts of TDT in the back & were offering it at the sale price. That's $19.92/gal. Since WM sells a gal jug of TDT for $22.xx & qts of RT Syn for $4.42, this is a comparative bargain for TDT.

i'm also buying the mobil tdt at wally world for 22.xxx per gallon. i use it in my tractors. i prefer it over the rotella. i am kind of curious about the schaeffer 5w-40. it seems to have a strong following. it better be really good to top the mobil delvac 1.

Quote:

Here's something interesting. Per Shell's current online data:http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn2_4_0.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html
it does not met the oil spec requirements for 2002-2006 engines for CAT (ECF-1), Detroit Diesel and Mercedes Benz (93K214), or Volvo (VDS-3). Being a HD Diesel oil and not meeting the specs for CAT, DDC/MBE, and Volvo is shocking to me.

Delvac 1/M1TDT meets all of those - and more now that the CJ-4 version (Delvac 1 ESP) is out. AVlube.com has it available now if you are looking for a source.

That's funny because the big Shell oil distributor here in British Columbia, Canada is Finning/Caterpillar.

I am pretty sure the Cat labeled oil is Mobil.

Finning is just a Shell distributor.

But it is amusing somewhat
twocents.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back