What oil for my 93 Jetta 1.9 non-TDI turbodiesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valvecover on the engine states to only use an oil with the 505.00 rating. I did some looking today at Canadian Tire and there's a decent selection of 505.00 approved oil. Maxlife synth, GC and Syntec 5w40 and M1 5w30. All of those have a CF rating. Should I look for an oil with a CI-4 rating or is the CF with the 505.00 spec acceptable?

Any oil with VW 505.00 spec is acceptable. Esso XD3 0W-40, Rotella Syn, Delvac1 will probably do better..

How about M1 5w50? It's got SM/CF, ACEA A3 and the VW 505.00 rating. It was on sale today at Canadian Tire ($7.19 a quart!) so I grabbed 5. Now I just need a good oil filter, I think I'll go with the Carquest premium filter.

Quote:

How about M1 5w50? It's got SM/CF, ACEA A3 and the VW 505.00 rating.

I don't see that product being offered in the US, or at least it is not mentioned on the www.mobil1.com website.

But, generally speaking, a 5w50 oil requires a lot of viscosity modifiers, which replace the basestock and the more-useful detergent and anti-wear additives. So whenever feasible it's better to choose a multi-grade oil without quite so wide a spread between the different grades. I.E., a 5w40 is better than a 5w50.

Mobil 1 is in. Whew, thank god I had a strap wrench, there was no way in Hades the FRAM oil filter was coming off without it, outside of spearing the ____ thing with a screwdriver. I picked up a Carquest premium oil filter to replace it, cost a bit over 10 bucks for it.

Pennzoil Platinum or Royal Purple at the right wt recommended for you car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back