Oil Weight for Supercharged Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to get feedback on what might be the best oil and weight for a 1993 Ford Mustang 302 supercharged with a vortech s-trim supercharger which uses the oil from the motor
driving.gif
driving.gif
. Stock 302 rebuilt a couple of years ago so high mileage is not an issue. My mechanic is old school so he wants me to put 20w50 for summer and at least a 30 or 40weight in the winter. I live in NY by the way. I'm also looking for a good oil not fully synthetic that has a good amount of zinc on it. I was told Castrol GTX and Valvoline are good. Any thoughts?

What was the engine spec'd for when it was new? Was the engine rebuilt to new specs? Without knowing any of that my first recommendation would be shell rotella 5W40.

The motor has stock specs just added a higher lift cam and aluminum heads with 1.7 rocker arms. Those the Rotella have plenty of zinc? Hope they have it at Walmart. Is 50wt to thick?

I don't know if a 50wt is too thick or not but that Rotella will have a lot of zinc in it. And they do have it at the walmart in my area.

Doesn't matter that its recommended for diesel motors? I didn't want the fully synthetic oil since they can leak thru seals at times. My mechanic put some royal purple on his race car and leaked thru. Which rotella should I get?

Diesel oils also have the gas rating so they still meet gas specification most of the time. Just check for SM or SL and you should be fine. I love the Delo 400 15w-40 made by Chevron but also use the Delvac 15w-40 made by moble because of price. Either should do well in your engine.
I don't think you should have a problem with synthetic unless you have lots of miles on this vehicle. Still it is your choice.

What do you guys think about the Castrol GTX? Plenty of zinc? SO the rotella t 5w40 non synthetic? Kendal GT-1 is it hard to find? I also heard good things about Chevron. Just want something ez to find plenty of zinc and the right weight for the stang which will see trips to the race track. : )

I would consider Redline 10w30. Has HTHS of a 40 weight and will take all the heat you can throw at it. Yeah, full synthetic, but it won't leak in a fresh engine, unless you already have leaks. Redline has lotsa zddp and moly.

Another vote for 5w40 rotella syn.

I run this in a 4.6L supercharged car, and it does great.

The vortech blower beats up oil in quick fashion.

I have a s trim v1 on mine.

Valvoline 20w-50 would be a good choice non synthetic or synthetic.

Amsoil 0w-20, 5w-30 or 10w-30. I think the 0w-20 might work really well for the synthetics. I wouldn't worry about ZDDP. The latest SM additives are very good. Boron and ZDDP have been shown to outperform oils with just high zddp alone.

Go with either Redline or Amsoil synthetic.

Haven't decided yet for sure between these 2 oils I'm going to run,but are the only two I'd consider.

I'm thinking we don't need a diesel oil in a roller cam 5.0L

I'm thinking some kind of 10W-40. . . hmm. . . what would be good?. . . hmm

Oh yeah! MaxLife 10W-40
grin.gif

For a spike of zinc and ZDDP, throw some SLOB in the mix.

I also vote for 5w-40 Rotella. You could run it year round.

Quote:

Diesel oils also have the gas rating so they still meet gas specification most of the time. Just check for SM or SL and you should be fine. I love the Delo 400 15w-40 made by Chevron but also use the Delvac 15w-40 made by moble because of price. Either should do well in your engine.
I don't think you should have a problem with synthetic unless you have lots of miles on this vehicle. Still it is your choice.

Automotive diesels use a heavy duty motor oil ,diesel oils are different ,they are used in ship diesels etc. Just a tidbit.

Quote:

This paper discusses the preparation of borated dioctyl dithiocarbamate as an oil-soluble antiwear and extreme pressure additive for lubricants. Its tribological performance when added to liquid paraffin was evaluated on a four-ball tester and a ring-on-block machine. The relationships between its performances and the concentrations are also given, and are compared with these of zinc dialkyldithiophospate (ZDDP). The results show that the novel compound possesses an excellent load-carrying capacity and friction reduction property similar to ZDDP, and exhibits better antiwear property than ZDDP above 392 N. In addition, the novel compound has good anticorrosive property and high thermal stability. The rubbed surface was investigated using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, and the antiwear mechanism was discussed.

Author Keywords: borated dioctyl dithiocarbamate; antiwear; additive

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...054be24ecf02693

Opposing view point:

http://www.356registry.org/tech/modern_oil_in_the_356.html

By the way my qtr mile time is 11.4 so far. How much are the Delo oils running a quart or the Rotella? I've been using Castrol syntec blend since its ez to find. Does anyone know a really good conventional oil the has a good amount of zinc and handle 500hp. The way I see it I change my oil every 2 months so do not want to buy expensive synthetics if it will only be in the for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back