Green grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at that before. My problem is that there is very little useful information about WHAT it is. They don't even list the thickener type.

I'm sure it's good grease, but it looks like you are paying a lot for the advertising as well.

I would look for a Timken number before even thinking about it. Too many advertising statements, not enough facts in my opinion

good timken etc high price probably a good grease maybe to sticky for wheel bearing tho most bearing greases are
"buttery" a tacky or stingy grease may cause over heating in a timken type bearing like a wheel bearing.

bruce

I bought a tube of the Green Grease several months ago for packing the wheel bearings of my sub-1000 pound utility trailer. (It's 8 by 10 feet I think in size, but does have 3500 pound rated axles with tapered roller bearings in the Timken style) Reason I bought it was that it was about a buck or two cheaper than the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic and that the packaging made a big deal about it being waterproof, something that I thought was probably a good thing for a trailer that sits outside in the elements. Both tubes had the same NGLI ratings. I'd bet that the Valvolene is just as weather resistant.

Interestingly, the color and consistency were very, very similar to an old tube of fully synthetic Castrol grease I'd bought nearly ten years ago. This old Castrol synthetic grease was good stuff.

The consistency was not quite as buttery as say white lithium grease, and didn't seem stringy or tacky like, for instance, Lucas Red-n-Tacky grease.

The trailer has seen several 50 mile plus test runs since using the green grease, with no perceptible temperature rise on the hubs. Initially, the wheels were very stuff and didn't rotate as freely as they had with the old, nasty grease in there, but after a 50 mile test run, they were back to normal. Just the other day, I had to move the trailer to mow what's left of our lawn (extreme drought here) and I moved the trailer easily by hand, something that used to be hard to do before the repack and the test run.

later,
ben

It may very well be a calcium sulfonate grease. Exceptional protection against corrosion,water,also salt water.

i had made a thread on here a few months ago asking if anyone had heard of it. mainly because i had used Mystic Jt-6 in my suspension components, and now that I have my own mini grease gun, I needed something in 3oz containers.

After contacting Green Grease, they told me I should have no compatibility issues mixing them, but wouldn't really state what the ingredients were.

I ended up filling all my balljoints, tie-rods, and centerlink with it. Haven't had an issue yet..

Could be Molakule. The poster in the thread seemed credible and they were posting the e-mail they got back from the company. If it's a polyurea grease there should some serious compatibility problems.

I put an E-mail into them today asking for some more info. If they respond back I'll ask the thickener question.

This grease uses a very viscous base oil...I asked them if they have any cold torque data and some other questions.

I just discovered this thread. A while ago I started a similar one as I got Green Grease to lube the 3 zerks on the drive shaft on one of my bikes. I was wondering if anybody tested this grease. Later I contacted these guys: http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm (I found the link on a motorcycle website page about greasing the rear wheel and drive splines-for which 60% moly grease is the standard requirement). Scroll down and see the greases they tested. They (S & S) are willing to test any grease in the rig they built for that particular purpose, but they ask for an MSDS sheet. Strange thing is that I tried to get that info (MSDS data) from Green Grease, and they never sent it to me (instead they replied that they're curious why I need the MSDS sheet). Is it something they're trying to hide as a "secret" ingredient or conversely, snake oil? I'm sure it's not a bad grease, just don't understand the secrecy. Their website is also too flashy IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
If they sell it to any company that has employees then they are required by law to supply an MSDS upon request. just tell them you need it for hazmat compliance.

That's a good idea. I bought a tube of this grease tonight at Autozone. I'll request an MSDS on Monday from work.

Or be like my work not have a single MSDS sheet on hand :O. I think I actually changed that after I got a rash from the parts washer fluid I spilled into my sock.(probably didn't help I was washing all sorts of car parts off in it during lunch time) I stayed home from work for two days so I could let it heal, and when I requested the sheet, they didn't have them. Now all the foremans have a yellow laminated sheet giving a number to call for MSDS data on everything....

As others stated, they didn't seem to want to answer questions when I emailed them. I'd really hate to have compatibility issues in $600 worth of suspension components... But like I said they assured me it would be fine....

Last edited:
Perhaps a question for Bruce or Mola, but is there such a high viscosity base oil available? Synthetic or not?

Base Fluid Viscosity CST 40°C (104°F) = 920
Base Fluid Viscosity CST 100°C (212°F) = 58

I ran a quick google search but turned up nothing.

I may be wrong, but somebody told me that having the MSDS data available is a legal requirement. Don't understand really why Green Grease can't provide that. Oh, here's a copy of the message I got from them:

"Curious as to why you would want an MSDS sheet? Our's is 9 pages long and we cannot e-mail it. Thanks"

***?

Quote:
***?

Indeed. I'm not liking what I'm seeing more and more. I have yet to get an e-mail back from them after 2 tries. They may be out for the holiday so we'll see this week.

If they sell to employers they have to have an MSDS available to them so employees can read it (everyday exposure). There is no requirement to give it out to non employers but many companies put them on their websites.

People that don't give out MSDS' I am always leery of .

Quote:
Indeed. I'm not liking what I'm seeing more and more. I have yet to get an e-mail back from them after 2 tries. They may be out for the holiday so we'll see this week.
I had to call them to get a reply to my email. OTOH the first time I called long ago to ask if there was any moly in the grease (for some reason the grease for my Guzzi's drive shaft shouldn't contain moly (?) ) there was somebody there late at night who took the call, go figure.

Again, the grease itself may be very good.

I had a chance to finally use some of this on a high demand
LOL.gif
front wheel bearing on my son's 16" bike. It is way stringy and a pain to use for this type of application. No way I would want to use it in a car wheel bearing.

Might be good for exposed conditions with the high tack, though.

Still haven't heard from them regarding the E-mail. I'll try and call them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back