oil filter spills

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I doing wrong? I have vertical filters on both of my cars. When changing the filter, I poke a hole in the bottom to drain the oil so that when I loosen the filter, oil won't run down my arm. Only, it isn't working. I poke a hole and let it drain. When it stops dripping, I loosen the filter and oil spills out, running down my arm. What can I do to prevent that and where is that oil coming from.

Just hazarding a guess, but the anti-drainback valve might be keeping a bit of oil between the filter mating surface on the block and the filter. Depending on the size of the filter this might be a lot of oil or just a little...

The following explanation might be more likely. Depending on how the engine is designed, there might be a recess in the block where the filter is, this would allow some oil to pool up a bit and the ADBV is what's preventing the oil from flowing into the filter when there's no pressure (i.e. engine off, oil pump off). Due to the shape draining the oil out of the sump during an oil change might not be draining the oil that's in the recess (i.e. engines have a "dry" oil capacity when rebuilding them, and an "oil & filter change" oil capacity, they seem to be always different by a couple hundred mL so this might be some of that difference. Oil also pools up in the cylinder head/valve train area and other nooks and crannies). When you remove the filter the oil would have to follow the laws of gravity
smile.gif
as the ADBV isn't there anymore to hold it in place...

So if I poked all the way through the filter and through the ADBV, that may solve the problem.

Some people first loosen the filter, then slip a plastic bag over it before removing to contain the spillage. Or you could use a long plastic bag over your arm. This may be easier than poking the filter.

Don't waste your time poking a hole in the filter. Some oil will come out when you unscrew it without poking a hole in the filter. A couple of tablespoons at the most will come out. Catch that in the same container you use to catch the oil from the engine. Unscrew the filter and dump it in the container. A few more drops will come from the filter attaching surface on the engine. Wipe the surface and call it a day.

Fill the new filter with new oil and attach it to the engine. Add required new oil to the sump and the job is done.

Yes, I agree. With vertically mounted filters it is not the oil in the filter that spills but the oil in the filter base above the anti-drainback valve. I wouldn't try to poke a hole in the anti-drainback valve for fear of damaging the filter base.
twocents.gif

I find two things pet related very handy for changing oil. First 50lb bags of dog food are plastic coated, so I cut them open and spread them under the oil changing area. Unlike newspaper, nothing gets through the plastic lining.

Plastic containers of cat litter (with screw top) are very handy for used oil. They hold a few vehicles worth and have a 3" or so mouth.

Now I would not get a dog or cat just to have these items on hand for oil changing.

Thanks. I'll try a plastic bag next time. When I had filters that screwed on at an angle, I would just loosen it and let it drain - no mess. But these that are vertical - a slight turn and oil is running down on all sides.

I've also tried the plastic bag method and hole poking procedure on horiz and vert mounted filters over the years. There is always some residual drippage even after all that
boat.gif
. All I do anymore is loosen the filter until it JUST starts to dribble, position my catch pan to catch the dribbling, and let it stream until it stops. Give the filter a quick wipe with a rag and thread it off the rest of the way mess free. After only 'knowing' it this way, the top mount cartridge on my Ecotec is a peach. It's as easy as pulling the skimmer basket on a pool filter.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back