Better gas MPG after transmission fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone noticed a *slight* gain in gas mileage after changing the transmission fluid in your car/truck ??

My brother said his wife's Honda Element gets better gas mileage right after he dumped the Honda MTF with 60K miles on it.

Is this possible ??
dunno.gif

SURE, it's possible. But, the question is: Are the two related? That, I don't know. Look, I drive the SAME roads the SAME speed under the SAME apparent conditions, and my mpg varies by about 2-3 mpg. I've put over 35,000 miles on my car since September, 2006, the only thing I've found that really seems to make a difference in temperature. Oh, well, of course, SPEED is number one...when I drive 78 mph, I get 5-6 mpg worse than when I drive 63 mph.

So, to say you get better or worse from changing fluid...I just don't know if it is measurable on one tank of gas. Just too many variables.

yeah give him 8.5 for effort and 9 for originality.

Seriously I assumed the stock juice went back in....now I can't remember the vis of the stock stuff, and assume it sheared. Well maybe the Amsoil MTF is slightly lower vis.....how does it shift?

There was another person on BITOG that said he also saw a slight gain with Amsoil compared to the Honda fluid.

I will search the for the post cause I am pretty sure they also used the Amsoil fluid.

You won't see any difference. Probably. I changed front/rear punkin, transfer case, and tranny with Amsoil syn and didn't see a change. Might have been a slight improvement but I couldn't see it.

Manual transmission fluid runs fairly cool if not loaded, so it's certainly possible to see some gains by switching to something that's thinner at those cooler temps.

I did a drain/fill (~3qts) of the factory fill ATF on my '05 civic w/32k miles a few weeks back (replaced with Honda Z1 ATF).

I've been tracking my MPG for each tank since the car came off the lot; so far I've noticed no change with the fresh fluid. Just my
twocents.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back