Royal Purple vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil does NOT call the XL line a "full synthetic". That is pure BS.

M1 is a synthetic oil.

OK article on the subject in this months Lubes 'n Greases, but nothing the ranch hands at BiTOG don't know.

PS As far as I know NO Amsoil dealer started the M1 is not a true synthetic BS. Every time I have seen it come up it was on a car specific site. Sometimes it's beaten down as BS (like we do here) other times it's allowed to take root (and some of those car guys should honestly know better)

PSS Amsoil was very clear when they changed over to Group III on the XL series only. They didn't play hide the salami or anything....crap that oil isn't worth the price, so no one buys it, hence no UOA's, but they aren't being sneaky.

VaderSS, thanks for clearing the air on this subject. I knew that the XL 7500 series oil was not a pure synthetic oil. I use the 10W-30 pure synthetic oil and it costs me about the same as the Mobil 1 used to cost me at the local Wal Mart. The thing that really ticks me off about Mobil 1 is when they lost their court case to Castrol they they changed their formulation to incorporate dino oil into their product thus making a slightly inferior oil than they had been making and charging the average Joe the same price if not more over the last few years (did Mobil save money by incorporating the dino oil in their product instead of using pure synthetic base stocks?)You bet your *** they did! If you want to talk about misleading in the oil industry don't point fingers at Amsoil! VaderSS, these last few sentences are not targeted at you but to the folks that think Mobil 1 is a top notch synthetic oil, granted it's not bad oil but for my money I'll go with Amsoil any day!

GaryVegas, you are wrong again!
rolleyes.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91800 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by garyvegas:
The thing that really ticks me off about Mobil 1 is when they lost their court case to Castrol they they changed their formulation to incorporate dino oil into their product thus making a slightly inferior oil

Can you back this up?

Gary, please post credible sources for your info.

Latest MSDS's shows group IV/V for all Mobil 1 branded oils. If you have a MSDS or a Full Oil Analysis showing otherwise please post it.

As I stated at one time Mobil 1 did use a Group 1 Carrier Oil for the Additive Package but in the past this was standard practice in the making of synthtic oils. I believe technology has reached the point this is no longer required. This was prior to the Castrol / Mobil Lawsuit.

Your statements are in direct contradiction of statements made by Triboligists who do not work for Mobil and have no vested interest.

BTW Amsoil concedes Mobil 1 is full synthetic but states their oil is better. For EOCI they may be correct.

Gene

VaderSS thanks. There was some other info as well, but I can't find it...it was the original announcement earlier in 2002.

The M1 myth persists strongly in some I see.

quote:

Not wrong,just informed!

Misinformed is more like it. Mobil 1 always has been a true synthetic oil, they have never used a group 3 base oil.

Back to the origional topic
smile.gif
I think the M-1 has an edge over RP bc it doesn't thin out like RP. But its a close call. I used the 10W-30 M-1 in some winters in Pa. and at like -10F it started O.K. but all things being equal I would advise 5W-30 (synthetic) in this range.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

That's my bad I used the term full on purpose to stress to the prior person that they INDICATE it as 100 percent synthetic.

That's obvious if you go into the AMSOIL online store ya first have to click on "Synthetic Oils" then click on "SAE XW-XX XL-75OO Synthetic Motor Oil"

Then ya can click on Product discription and there isn't any info about it not being a true Synthetic or it being a blend or anything. You won't find that link above with the explanation of it being a group III. The average Joe loging in to order the oil would never know it wasn't true synthetic in the sense of the word. I think it's miss leading to say the least.

I'm not trying to slam AMSOIL I love the universal ATF and am using it in both my cars. Only meant to straghten out the prior poster for slaming Mobil-1 with false information.

[ July 25, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

quote:

BS? I think not. If you are talking about the XL-7500 oils there is no mention of Group III on the Amsoil product description. Amsoil simply calls this "Synthetic Motor Oil".

Have a look at the product description page on the Amsoil website for yourself:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/xlf.htm

I can not find any information on Amsoil's website which correlates to your statements Pablo. Can you point me in the right direction?

John

Yes Amsoil calls it synthetic. Not full synthetic.

I honestly don't know if the info is still there, I may still have some hardcopy info...the change over was 3 years ago or so. Later today I'll look around.

Mobil was bought out by Exxon a few years back and filed a suit against Castrol on their syntec brand because it was still petro basestocks but they labeled it synthetic, Mobil lost the suit..... the court ruled that if the dino basestock was refined enough it could be called "synthetic" so to make a long story short Mobil 1 is now a highly refined petroleum base oil just like Castrol Syntec even though mobil may deny it, it is cheaper to make and more profit...but again it isn't true synthetic anymore.......base oil's are labeled 1-2-3-4 and 5 now...... 1 is the lowest grade,5 is the highest........most oil's are now group 3....Mobil 1, Castrol syntec are group 4 and Redline is rated 5 because of it's poyol ester basestock the highest grade basestock there is, it is the same oil that it used in jet turbine's on 747's and the space shuttle....I'm not sure where Amsoil rates from 1-5........

gary, I'm not sure where you got your information, but I don't think you'll find any place on the net with more knowledge about oil then here. If you search around this site a little more you'll find your information couldn't be farther from the truth.

-T

quote:

Mobil was bought out by Exxon a few years back and filed a suit against Castrol on their syntec brand because it was still petro basestocks but they labeled it synthetic, Mobil lost the suit..... the court ruled that if the dino basestock was refined enough it could be called "synthetic" so to make a long story short Mobil 1 is now a highly refined petroleum base oil just like Castrol Syntec even though mobil may deny it, it is cheaper to make and more profit...but again it isn't true synthetic anymore.......base oil's are labeled 1-2-3-4 and 5 now...... 1 is the lowest grade,5 is the highest........most oil's are now group 3....Mobil 1, Castrol syntec are group 4 and Redline is rated 5 because of it's poyol ester basestock the highest grade basestock there is, it is the same oil that it used in jet turbine's on 747's and the space shuttle....I'm not sure where Amsoil rates from 1-5........

This ought to cause a little static here.....

I was under the impression that;

Syntec (and many other "synthetic" oils) was a group III "highly refined petroleum base"

Mobil-1 was a group IV PAO

Most of Amsoil's line is group IV PAO except the XL-7500 line which is admitedly group III hydrocracked "synthetic".

Any other gurus out there care to confirm or argue?

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back