Royal Purple vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched to RP from M1 last year on reccomendations from various people,no one here... I have read that rp is not as good as M1..Is this the case??? I run rp in my truck 5.3 and wifes car 3.8...5w30 in the winter ,10w30 in summer...Should I go back to M1 and why??? Can I run 10w30 all year round??? temps range from 0 in winter to 95 in the summer,both are extreme temps and last less than a week...I plan on keeping both for a loooooooooooooooooooong time... Thanks..
dunno.gif

Honestly I would not sweat either choice. Things other than the wear of lubricated engine parts are almost certain to be the death of your vehicles given your use of any synthetic oil and reasonable change intervals.

John

It seems that Royal Purple's regular street oils are not as good as M1. However, Royal Purple's racing oil appears to be as good if not better than M1.

I am sure that the arguments for either one would be valid. I can and do try most oils on the market. My Green choice was Schaeffer's, good results, Amsoil 0W30 and 15W40, good results, Mobil I 5W30, Red Line 5W30, excellent results, and now Synergyn 5W30. But out of all the oils on the market I now choose Royal Purple as my number one choice in 15W40 for my diesels and RP-21 for my gassers. And Red Line 5W30 for my John Deere.

If I could only use one oil Brand, Royal Purple with no problems.

smile.gif

Thanks...I will investigate RP21....One thing I failed to mention was I change at 6k. Is this a responsible interval???

I will give you my 2cents worth based on using royal purple street 10w-30 for 20,000 miles and Mobil 1 for about the same milage. UOA on Royal Purple at 7500 mile change showed a 10w-30 had become a low 20 weight oil. This and the wear metals were less than impressive. UOA with Mobil 1 was excellent except copper was 15 ppm for some reason and sodium was 73 ppm. Sodium is a Royal Purple add or was on the old formulation of Royal Purple. I believe the sodium was left over from 20,000 miles of using Royal Purple. You can see both of thes UOA's on the site. One listed as 2001 Miata and the other as royal purple at 7500 miles.
Royal Purple has changed their formalation since I used it. This and less than satisfactory UOA have me using Mobil 1. Also testimonials from Mobil 1 users over many miles, 200,000 for example, have made me a complete mobil 1 fan.

Some people have found that the street RP oils thin out rather quickly, I would not hesitate using their Racing oils though, very good stuff.

offtopic.gif

59 Vetteman: which of the oils you tried made your car sound/feel best? how is the Synergyn compared to Schaeffer's? Sorry to barge in with a different topic, just very curious to hear from someone who has tried both of those oils as I have not had the chance to try those yet....

I think the RP-21 is one of the best oils for a spirited driven vehicle. The Royal Purple street oils are API Certified, and can be used for warranty purposes and in a normal vehicle if you want the advantages of synthetic then this is a good choice. The RP-21 has no problems with 6K changes, in fact after the first change I think 7.5K+ changes are best. It surprises me how many oil companie sales reps. use Royal Purple Racing oils to compare there product to when trying to sell a customer. But I will admit it is somewhat pricey, but still gets my vote. JMO

offtopic.gif

My choice of dino/semi-syn oils will always be Schaeffer's. It really can rival synthetics in many areas and at a good savings on price.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
Some people have found that the street RP oils thin out rather quickly, I would not hesitate using their Racing oils though, very good stuff.

offtopic.gif

59 Vetteman: which of the oils you tried made your car sound/feel best? how is the Synergyn compared to Schaeffer's? Sorry to barge in with a different topic, just very curious to hear from someone who has tried both of those oils as I have not had the chance to try those yet....

The Synergyn 5W30 and the Schaeffer's 10W30 compare head to head as far as feel/sound. I do not have a turbo in my gasser so heat was not a problem. Just a SOP observation though.

I think that it all depends on the engine. I did a UOA on RP's 5w30 "street oil" in my truck, and it looked phenomenal. I haven't seen a mobil 1 UOA posted on this site, come close to it in a gen 1 SBC. But that is only one engine...........in other engines, it may go the other way. Try them both and decide.
smile.gif

Okay I educated myself just now at the rp website...Vetteman are you sayng that the racing oil is better than their regular synthetic or the racing oil is better for your application??? If it's just plain better cause of the additive package or whatever,can the increase in cost justify using it in a street machine that will never see anything higher than 4 thousand rpm???

Agreed, to try each and choose for yourself. My friends, father and myself have tried both, for regular OCI and extended. We have noticed the best results with the Mobil-1. The engines were generally noisier with RP. As UOA's have shown, it shears out of grade. It is, in every case I've seen, more expensive than M-1. It is a good oil, but up against Mobil-1...well examine the numbers. Mobil-1 seems to be the stronger oil, but again just try and choose for yourself. Good luck with your vehicles!

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I think that it all depends on the engine. I did a UOA on RP's 5w30 "street oil" in my truck, and it looked phenomenal. I haven't seen a mobil 1 UOA posted on this site, come close to it in a gen 1 SBC. But that is only one engine...........in other engines, it may go the other way. Try them both and decide.
smile.gif

Good, fair, logical advice.

I use Amsoil. I used to use Mobil 1 until they changed their formulation to incorporate high grade dino oil into their synthetic. Amsoil is a pure synthetic oil Mobil 1 is not.

quote:

Originally posted by garyvegas:
I use Amsoil. I used to use Mobil 1 until they changed their formulation to incorporate high grade dino oil into their synthetic. Amsoil is a pure synthetic oil Mobil 1 is not.

I think you've got it backwards AMSOIL 7500 series oil is the one using group III and calling it full synthetic oil. Mobil-1 does not use group III

quote:

Originally posted by garyvegas:

lol.gif
nono.gif
banghead.gif

There is no Group III in Mobil 1!

Older formulations used Group I carrier oil for the additive package.

Gene

quote:

Amsoil is a pure synthetic oil Mobil 1 is not

WRONG. Mobil 1 is only a PAO/V oil, period. This was an internet rumor, possibly put out by Amsoil dealers (can't prove it but wouldn't surprise me based on some of the dealers I've spoken too
rolleyes.gif
) that is absolutely false. Castrol is the group III and AJ Almatuzio the guy who said Amsoil would always be a true synthetic, now makes a group III XL line of oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back