Strut tower brace - highly reccomend

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I installed a strut tower brace on my 91 BMW 318i. Why? Not because I race, or auto-x, or even drive particularly hard, most of the time. It was mostly a curiosity, as I got a made in Germany brace for quite cheap.

I have to say that even in day to day driving, it makes quite a notable difference. Now, maybe because my E30 BMW has a suspension designed in the early 1980s, it leaves something to improve upon... however, given its marque, Id venture to guess that it is on par with most of today's vehicles - likely still better than many.

So, what does it do if Im not driving hard or racing? It maintains far more neutrality on onramps and offramps. Not that the car was ever uncontrolled, but it allows for better conservation of momentum around curves, which equates to fuel savings, and also reduces weight transfer quite notably, which equates to better tire life, even if taking a turn a tad bit faster.

I loved the way my little car rode and drove before - now I enjoy it even more. Its just subtle, and all the original suspension characteristics are maintained. I have to say that I am quite happy, and will likely invest in one for our other strut-equipped cars!

Just an FYI!

JMH

I've got front and rear ones on my Mazda - rear made the bigger difference, but I do agree they tend to tighten everything up for better suspension/tire characteristics.

What brand strut brace did you get? I have a '90 325is, and I've heard that a strut brace can make a noticeable difference. I might just have to add it to the list of things to get.

I've had mine on my '97 Maxima SE for 6 years now. It is a very nice improvement. It makes the car feel more planted. Like JHZR2 says, on/off-ramps have a much more neutral and solid feeling. There is less body roll without screwing up the ride comfort. With less body roll, the other suspension components can do their job more effectively.
I also got the rear STB and rear sway bar. The RSTB on my car doesn't do a whole lot. This could possibly be because my rear backseat has a solid metal plate behind it, that effectively ties the two rear sides together. For those that have a hatchback or folding rear seats, it may be a better option. The rear sway bar on mine does a nice job. It takes away some of the inherent understeer in my FWD car. If your car doesn't have one, it would be something to look in to. But be careful if you have RWD and your car oversteers naturally. A RSB can increase oversteer, and could possibly be too much. This would vary car to car. FWD cars usually benefit from this because the increased oversteer counteracts some of FWD's natural understeer.

JHZR2, glad to hear you like your FSTB. Nice car, too. I've always liked the early 90's BMW's. Very sharp styling.

Dave

i had a gti with upper and lower front strut braces and the lower one made a huge difference, i was also running the rear strut bar and aftermarket front and rear sway bars. the ting handled like it was on rails.

Interesting. I didn't think a strut tower brace would be that significant, but I'll believe it now that I'm hearing it from someone other than a 17-year-old driving a Civic with a massive wing!

In the other direction, performance-wise, I took the 2005 Mustang convertible that my mother is driving for the summer (extra car that the son-in-law picked up for eventual resale) for a drive the other day. My only previous experience driving a convertible involved a '92 Miata, so I was absolutely shocked by how flimsy the chassis feels on those convertibles; it's very unsettling. I suppose one gets used to it though?

Quote:

Interesting. I didn't think a strut tower brace would be that significant, but I'll believe it now that I'm hearing it from someone other than a 17-year-old driving a Civic with a massive wing!

In the other direction, performance-wise, I took the 2005 Mustang convertible that my mother is driving for the summer (extra car that the son-in-law picked up for eventual resale) for a drive the other day. My only previous experience driving a convertible involved a '92 Miata, so I was absolutely shocked by how flimsy the chassis feels on those convertibles; it's very unsettling. I suppose one gets used to it though?

yep... its subtle for the driving I do, but yet you can tell that it is working in the background. The car was excellent before, just a pure joy to drive and ride around in - the ultimate commuter car... now I just feel even nicer when driving it!

JMH

Quote:

Believe it, and yet another ditto to the growing list!

Simply put, no matter what you're driving, if you would like to have more precise steering and handling, and the benefits those bring, then get yourself a brace. You will not be disappointed.

Many of us drive vehicles for which braces are not made, so what are we supposed to do? Well, unless you can modify an existing one to fit your particular application, go here and download the free e-book on how to make one yourself.

Beyond a brace there are several other worthy suspension mods which can be made, and some have already been mentioned. Seriously consider them for they will make your driving safer and more enjoyable.

I just installed a Steeda strut tower brace on my 2006 Ford Fusion and I love the results. I couldn't agree more that these aid the stock suspension and really give you a tighter feeling ride. The Fusion's suspension had a nice feeling stock but the brace has really enhanced the driving experience.

No 91 Civic with a big wing here.

Quote:

What brand strut brace did you get? I have a '90 325is, and I've heard that a strut brace can make a noticeable difference. I might just have to add it to the list of things to get.

I bought one sold by "goingfast.de" on ebay.

It looks like its probably a ripoff of some of the name brand ones on various websites. for the price ($91) I figured that Im not going that fast or aggressive, and if it gies me a 10% improvement in stiffness and transfer, that will be more than enough to please me until the car rusts out. I love the car as is in terms of how it drives and rides - and the brace does as expected, so Im super happy.

It has a full circle at the strut mounts, so when you torque it down to 16 ft-lbs per bentley, the metal gives a little, but it is seems pretty sturdy, and can be removed easily at the strut mounts.

It looks like this, as taken directly from the ebay sales page (not my car):
4c_2.JPG

and the one I got looks exactly like this:
bmwe30_strutbar2.jpg

Ill try to post an image of it installed tomorrow.

For $91, its VERY light, seems quite sturdy, can easily be removed, and is polished, so it looks pretty good. Supposedly made in Germany too...

Hope this helps,

JMH

They may not look like the aftermarket ones, but they factory GM STB's work very well and are very strong. Super inexpensive too.

Quote:

]

Buy a Sparco brace for it. It's one piece with no hinges or pivots. Stiffer. I love it on my E30, which is tracked heavily.

I'm sure the sparco one is great, but mine weighs nearly nothing, and despite having a so-called hinge, still makes a very notble and pleasant, subtle change in the ride and handling characteristics...

If I was tracking a lot, Id want something top-notch... but for saving momentum and tires on on and off-ramps in a commuter car, this one does 80% of the best one, and has the bolts o make the bar very easy to remove while leaving the mount there.

How much was your sparco??? I cant find a good one for the fiancee's integra, and sparco is a good name...
JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back