VOA Jeep 3.0L CRD 1001 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today I'll be mailing off an initial or voluntary oil analysis at 1001 miles on my new 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes-Benz OM 642 DE30 LA 3.0L V6. This is just to establish a baseline reading. I don't know what Jeep uses as the factory fill, but the dealers stock MB 229.51-spec Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30. I've got a case of Amsoil AFL for the initial change, plus two Mann HU821 filters.

Absolutely nobody else makes filters for this engine. I need to find a way to hook up either my old Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote filter mount or a new BMK-11 bypass mount, or possibly something else.

Oil supply source usually is the sender port for bypass-only setups, and while the sender is visible up front on the engine block, it is a DIN metric fitting, so I'll probably have to fabricate some sort of adapter. I've looked every for an off-the-shelf solution, but no luck. It looks like it might be 14mm, and I think I have a tap for that (if it is the same as the common sparkplug / oxygen sensor thread).

The return line on the Amsoil BMK-11 uses either a self-tapping hollow bolt in the pan or valve cover or else the optional swivel fitting in the center of the oil filler cap. Neither is an option, since both the covers and pan are cast aluminum, and the filler cap is hollow plastic and is of the "stove-top-knob" style. Still, there is lots of room on the side of the filler neck where a bulkhead fitting might be fitted, albeit with drilling...
crazy.gif

Other options deal with machining some sort of adapter for either the oil filter cap or the oil filler cap. We'll see...
smirk.gif

Doug

Quote:

What are the requirements?
ATF?
oil?
PSF?
Change intervals?

ATF is probably ATF+4, but only MB knows. The dipstick is sealed with a special cap with the legend "MB Workshop Only" on the end. No service intervals are stated.

Oil must meet MB 229.51 specs. The only domestic (US) oil available meeting it is Amsoil AFL, but dealers carry Mobil 1 ESP Formula M from Germany. I see Elf Solaris LSX is also available now from at least one retailer. Change interval is 6250 miles (schedule B) or 12500 miles (schedule A). Filter is changed with the oil, of course. Those are a pricey dealer-only item, unless I can find another source for Mann HU821 filters.

PSF is PSF, even with the hydraulic cooling motor.

BOXCAB - are saying this oil is available from MB in NA.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30

that oil is VW 507 rated I believe

Here are the results for the first sample at 1001 miles, unfortunately I can't seem to present this in neat columns:

Miles on sample 1001
Spectrochemical Analysis (ppm)
Iron 14
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 7
Tin 0
Aluminum 5
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 14
Boron 71
Sodium 2
Magnesium 23
Calcium 1890
Barium 0
Phosphorus 744
Zinc 821
Molybdenum 133
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel (VOL) VIS @ 100 C cSt 11.75
Water (VOL) 0%
Soot/Solids (WT) 0.1%
Coolant? No

I have samples taken at about 2000 and 3000 miles ready to send in.

Looks excellent. Ca looks low. A TBN on the 3k oil should be considered. But, with ULSD, I doubt its needed.
Engine is breakin in. Wheres the wear?

Hi boxcab, we just got an 07 CRD this week. Several of us have been posting at the jeep forums. How did the oil change go? I do all of my own maintenance and am glad I found this forum as the oil change is a bit more modern than I am used to. Do you think there is much difference in using the AFL 5w-40 vs the recommended 5w-30? Also, where did you get your engine oil filter? I read something about another source that is "fleece", but the threads that I read were at MB forum and were pretty confusing. Did you need a special tool to remove filter? I have not had a chance to even crawl under the rig and see what it will involve.

The requirements for the 3.0 Mercedes diesel in our Jeep is MB229.51 . According to Amsoil, the AFL is the correct oil. If you look at the applications for the DEO at your link, you will see MB 228.3 and no mention of 229.51.

Yes you are correct - I was thinking of the smaller diesel engine - the 2.8L 4-cyl TurboDiesel. Thanks.

However - I need to find out why the DEO is not recommended for MB229.51. Because DEO is a better diesel 5W-40 than the new AFL.

That would be great if you could check into this. I didnt realize until now that you are an Amsoil rep. Is there a shelf life for Amsoil synthetics like there is for dino oils? For my other older turbo diesels I have in the past layed the cash down for a barrel of oil, but it lasts a long time. It is very convenient to not have to deal with plastic bottles that are in fact not recycleable( the steel drum is).

For a drum, the main concern would be contamination. (stuff falling in, water condensation, biodegradation, etc) – That said, if you can avoid those issues the oil will easily last several years (4-5+) with no problems. There is no concern with oxidation, or precipitation of vital ingredients with properly stored Amsoil HDEO’s.

How fast would you use a drum?

not fast enough! I thought I could use the same oil in all of our rigs, but not so. It would be great if you sold the AFL in say 1 or 5 gallon containers.

Quote:

Hi boxcab, we just got an 07 CRD this week.

Hey, congratulations!
beer2.gif

Quote:

Several of us have been posting at the jeep forums.

Posting about the diesel in the Jeep forums can be tiring due to the profound ignorance and misinformation rampant in them.

Quote:

How did the oil change go?

I haven't changed the oil yet, I've only got about 3600 miles on it. I will change it at the first service interval (schedule A) at 6250 miles.

Quote:

Also, where did you get your engine oil filter? I read something about another source that is "fleece", but the threads that I read were at MB forum and were pretty confusing.

The filter, Mann HU821, is a dealer-only item, and pricey. These are paper, not the "fleece" type used by other MB engines.
filter.jpg

Quote:

Did you need a special tool to remove filter? I have not had a chance to even crawl under the rig and see what it will involve.

You do not need anything other than your hand to change the filter, as near as I can tell. I bought a rubber strap wrench to remove the filter cap, but discovered that I could just grasp it by hand and it would begin to loosen. At least it's on top of the engine. I don't know the wrench size of the drain plug on the pan, but it looks like it'll be messy!
tongue.gif

Quote:

TBN on the 3k oil should be considered. But, with ULSD, I doubt its needed. Engine is breakin in. Wheres the wear?

D'oh! I forgot to put the TBN down. It's 6.0, and soot is 0.15%. I've sent the samples for 2K and 3K to the lab.

I saw your post at the jeep forum, it is going to be nice to build a community of Diesel WK owners. I have found the information from my fellow international Scout dieselers to be invaluable.

Could you explain to me what the oil bypass is and why you plan to use one? Also, we plan to use our CRD for regular commutes in a semi rural area (not stop and go) and for road trips in the great northwest. We were thinking that we would fall into the category B(12000 mile) oil change interval. Does this sound good to you? I know with our other dieels the oil change is the most important tune up procedure so we dont want to screw this up. We live in Southern Oregon at an altitude of 4500 feet in case that makes a difference. Actually, we put less than 10k miles on a year so were figuring on a once a year change.

It just occured to me that I started to rob this thread that is in the oil analysis section. I was just happy to see another CRD owner. Ive got plenty of time to determine how I should deal with the oil changes, dont need to know this with 400 miles on the odometer.

We are new to this availablity of oil analysis, it makes sense to do this, especially if the accuracy is good enough to determine premature wear of expensive components as well as to determine a safe but maximal oil change interval. Is that it or are there more reasons to do this? Where do we find a list of tolerances for these elements for say the 3.0 mercedes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back