Oilguard/Lubetrak Oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone else is using this company for their UOA. Reason why I am asking everytime I send in a sample I have to contact them to see if they received it or if the sample has been analyzed, usually I contact them at the 2week+ mark and I send it Via airmal (3-day) to lab.

Am I being to impatient should I allow more time for the turnaround, I am just wondering what the normal wait time is for this service. thanks in advance for any feedback

We try to turn the sample at the lab in 24 hours but 48 is more common if the lab is loaded with volumes of work.

I can usually interpret the data in < 24 hours of receipt of the raw data.

The delay is usually the USPS.

Lab is closed on holidays and weekends.

I WEIGHT accuracy over speed.

Most labs hate doing business with the automotive enthusiast and show it in how they treat us.

I am trying to change that with our service.

I have not done lots of business or interpreting with this outfit but believe they are out of Utah/Colorado?

Terry

www.dysonanalysis.com

Just an update: 3 unaswered e-mails and tonight 1 voice mail message left and pushing the 3 week mark.
I have ordered a "Blackstone" kit and after I use my 3 bypass filters up. I will be changing bypass systems.

I can't complain about the service....because there is none

I used them once for 3 samples, granted I'm overseas & posted air mail, it was 15 days before a result from time of posting (not TOO bad)!

I've since started using a local caterpillar agent for testing & I admit to being a little dissapointed so far with BOTH.

What the Cat testing showed up - about Oilguards testing is largely they don't testfor addpack depletion etc at all.
All of the Calcium Phosphorus Zinc & Boron results etc, which a virgin analysis of the oil show the levels came back as zero's on the oilguard results.
Not knowing any betterat the time i thought this was indicative of a fantastic engoine with zero problems in all those areas, not that the lab couldn't be bothered doing the testing!

Where Oilguard exceeded CAT testing was TBN - Cat didn't bother to do that - I found out today when the results came back that if you want TBN from CAT, you need to buy a more expensive testing kit (why didn't they say so at the outset when I bought the kits?)

I do realise that really speaking TBN is just a measurement of the amount of expiration of the addpack (calcium zinc phosphate etc), and thats what details are IN the Caterpillar results so really BOTH companys seem to supply much the same info just in different forms.
I've just posted away another 3 samples to oilguard to use up thelast of my samples containers etc, we will see how long they take and how thorough they do the job!

I did happen to do ONE sample as a duplicate of one of the Caterpillar ones - to see how close each is in their analysis results! (looking forward to that!).

Man I had no end of trouble dealing with the Caterpillar agents tho so far! Wasn't told I could buy kits over the phone with credit card necessitationg a 80 mile return trip specially to get the samples kits! Then not adivsed of the TBN testing requirement for the more expensive kit etc.

When I go there, the signage wasabysmal - resulting in entrance to the wrong driveway off a 4 lane hwy in peak traffic - some gymnastics to turn a Ftruck around on cramped space with insiufficient room, to get back OUT onto the highway only to go 50 yeards and into the NEXT driveway - then drive 2 laps looking for non exsistent parking. Then went to th elab to get the samples - buy they arent kept there as advised on phone - just analysed there after posted in! Ended up in merchandise shop - no kits there - so off to reception - who sent me to spare parts where I got - the wrong kits!

Kits had an out of date Card inside telling me who to email contact for access to the online oil commander system, so emails bounced back until I FOUND a new email that worked - then because I use Mozilla Forefox browser, the NEW commander oil system wouldn't work withmozilla had to email about that and end up loading MS IE to be able to access their website!

Givenit was 4 days from psoting to results online - the turnaround wasn't bad!

Really speaking neither company testing services have impressed me yet!

Both seem to have issues, making a simple job hard!

Would I BUY Caterpillar equipment from this Cat Franchise company - knowing what I know now about their customer service on the small stuff like UOA samples?
Not in a [censored] fit!
I always test out a car sales spare parts dept long before I present to look at a new car - they treat me right I come back to look at a car - but they treat me wrong in spare parts, they never sell me a car!

Anyways - the labs so far in my experience (2) seem to be much of a muchness - pretty basic - just going thru the motions, doing what they have to not to get the bullet & still collect a pay cheque.

Wat was the question again? Ohh yes Oilguard & your bad experience - yeah - that pretty much sums up my experience with both so far!

Cheers!

Well, I had a few samples sent to them, simply for wear #'s and TBN. Can't say their interpretation was accurate tho, sent me in a panic and only by the guiding hand of a "Site Sponser and Veteran" was I able to regain my composure....

OK my results came in today from lubetrack.

To start with I sent them 3 samples!

They posted 4 UOA results all different! I don't know whos the stray one was, I was very carefulll to include all the dates and mileages etc so I would know exactly which samole etc - i was getting results on but they ignored most of it and couldn't be bothgered with e ptoper sample dates - just used the day they recieved them for everything making it even confusing!

Next I compared the results with the identical oil sample I sent to Westrac - taken seconds apart midstream.
I get the impression the oilguard lab aren't too carefull with their testing / analysis!

Example:
one lab says 5ppm Fe and the other says 9ppm Fe
one lab says 3ppm Cu and the other says 1ppm Cu
one lab says 2ppm Sn and the other says 0ppm Sn
One lab says 2ppm Al and the other says 3ppm Al

And so on...

On it's own it wouldn;t mean much except...thatI have the virgin oil analysis results from the library on this site to compare against!

The westrac results seem to consistently reflect what the virgin analysis results indficate was pretty much in the oil to start with - whereas consistent across 3 or 4 samplings now Oilgaurd often report LESS of a metal than the oil has in it's virgin sample - tending to make me think they are NOT too careful with their analysis and that close enoughs good enough!

Probably from here on oyt I will stick with the Local Westrac (Cat) agents testing service!

I feel as though I canhave a little more confidence in their results based on the spreadhseet I've drawn up allowing me to look at a glance at the trends across quite afew samplings nopw and showing me the virgin analysis contents as well!

Thismakes the picture a lot clearer, than trying to read and remember a lot of individual reports!

I guess if I was keen enough I could graph the results for each vehicle and across each lab allowing a good visual comparison - which I may just yet do!

Cheers!

Looks to me like the reports are all within the plus/minus 40% margin of error at those minimal concentrations.
Yes, you are looking for trends unless something wild shows up, such as evidence of coolant or fuel contamination.

Shall we look at them?

Landcruiser 4.2 TD with LPG
lc_b-mg.jpg

lc_v40-tbn.jpg

lc_fe-syn.jpg
\

F250 7.3 PSD with LPG
f_b-mg.jpg

f_v40-tbn.jpg

f_fe-syn2.jpg

Discuss!

Cheers!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Board fulla "supposed self professed oil experts" and not one comment - with such an obvious series of conundrums presented in simple graphed format by these analyses!!

I could point them out - but being 'experts' reading, I figured they would be self evident!;)

Heck - one of them (The F truck) even has two identical samples sent to two different labs with noteable inconsistencies in the results but yet not one "expert" has picked it to comment on!

I'll let the rocket scientists figure it out for themselves!

*****!:D
laugh.gif

Cheers!

Just a note about this subject.
LubeTrak offers a reporting program OilGuard uses, not the lab it self. LubeTrak does have an ISO9002 Lab in Nevada and uses ASTM processes but; OilGuard has a protable lab they use and the software is a webbased reporting program used called LubeTrak to help get the data to the web. The evaluation comes from OilGuard, not LubeTrak.

Hope this helps...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back