Which synthetic MC oil to use 1995 Yamaha Virago ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original requirements in handbook calls for 20w40 Yamalube dino MC oil and while I know I will be using synthetic instead, I'm undecided as to whether to use 10w40 or 20w50 synth MC oil such as M1 or Amsoil. Opinions with those familiar with Yamahas?
cheers.gif

welcome.gif
and hang on tight, these "which is best" threads can get pretty bumpy.

How about 10w40 summer, 20w50 winter? or if you can't decide mix the two
wink.gif

Look at the chart in the manual. Choose an oil based on operating temp. I would rather use a thinner but higher quality oil. You can experiment as well and see which works better with your driving style as well as your motor.

I would try 10w40 first and see if it uses oil with it (how many miles on the bike?)or not. If it does try the higher SAE.

Quote:

Look at the chart in the manual. Choose an oil based on operating temp. I would rather use a thinner but higher quality oil. You can experiment as well and see which works better with your driving style as well as your motor.

I would try 10w40 first and see if it uses oil with it (how many miles on the bike?)or not. If it does try the higher SAE.

Wow, for a Group I member, you sure hit the nail on the head! My thoughts exactly. I would like to add, since this is a shared sump, you might find yourself choosing based upon shift quality between the two viscosities. Just stay as thin as you can while having good shift quality, and you'll probably be doing as good as possible for your bike.

Air-cooled V-twin would surely benefit from a 20W-50 oil, especially in the summer heat. That rear cylinder can get especially hot on those Virago engines. I used Amsoil 20W-50 in a Virago engine years ago with good results. I'm sure the Mobil 1, or Redline would also be good choices if you want to use synthetic.

Quote:

welcome.gif
and hang on tight, these "which is best" threads can get pretty bumpy.

How about 10w40 summer, 20w50 winter? or if you can't decide mix the two
wink.gif

I believe he meant 20w50 summer, 10w40 winter.

My brother in law has a 80 somthing Virago and it see's
nothing but Amsoil's MCV 20w50, that thing runs hot,never
used oil always looks good when he dumps it, we run it
in all our hot running air cooled Yamaha ATV's too, have also
tryed M1's MC oil good stuff too.

you can't go wrong with eather IMO..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back