Tranny Fluid Change Intervals On a Honda Element>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused.gif
The dealer told me that he wasn't aware of a suggested OCI on the tranny fluid. He DID claim that the Element had a "lifetime" filter, that wasn't meant to be replaced.
confused.gif

Personally, I like the old-school T/C drain, pan-drop/filter change of the old days... Today, I assume the "transmission flush" is the method most seen.

I would think a Honda owner's manual would address a change of tranny fluid, but I haven't bought the vehicle yet, and could find anything online.

Any thoughts/help/opinions greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

I would strongly recommend trannie OCI changes every 40,000miles or so, with quality trannie fluid (I myself would stick with Honda Z-1 for my dad's 7th gen civic).

If the vehicle has incomplete/unknown trannie OCI record, I would do one complete flush and fill right after I acquire the vehicle, and then go from there.

Not too familiar with the Element but if its like the pilot or crv's the rear diff requires a special fluid with honda's friction modifier. You'll notice that after a long period of time the rear might chatter. Honda has a unique fluid specifically for the rear diff.

I just powerflush my wifes CRV with honda's atf. I personally dont think using a synthetic (amsoil) etc is gonna make a huge difference. I flushed the trans with my power flushing machine at my shop. No pan to drop in the CRV's.

Quote:

Not too familiar with the Element but if its like the pilot or crv's the rear diff requires a special fluid with honda's friction modifier. You'll notice that after a long period of time the rear might chatter. Honda has a unique fluid specifically for the rear diff.

I just powerflush my wifes CRV with honda's atf. I personally dont think using a synthetic (amsoil) etc is gonna make a huge difference. I flushed the trans with my power flushing machine at my shop. No pan to drop in the CRV's.

I wonder
confused.gif
if the Element has no pan to drop, as well. I was surprised to be told that the filter was not meant to be changed. I need to find someone here in Atlanta, that really knows Hondas, the way I know Fords.
grin.gif

No pan, just a drain plug. From the diagrams I have, it looks like you have to remove the valve body to replace the filter; same as on my Escape. It's probably just a wire screen anyways (they call it an ATF 'strainer') so it won't clog up. For peace of mind, install a remote spin-on filter on the cooler lines.

I would recommend an operating temp drain-and-fill every 25,000 km. Each drain gets 3.2 L out, which is roughly 45% of your total capacity (40% of 4WD capacity, 47% of 2WD capacity).

What does the manual said? 50k mile on trans OCI is about right.

Whatever you do, don't flush the transmission. Drain and fill. No one should put solvent in their engine and transmission.

The flushing machines flush your wallet, too. I'm going to try my vacuum pump that I use to change engine oil and try it on the automatic transmission to see if it gets more than a drain and refill that I have been doing.

Quote:

What does the manual said? 50k mile on trans OCI is about right.

Whatever you do, don't flush the transmission. Drain and fill. No one should put solvent in their engine and transmission.

HUH? There must be some kind of misunderstanding.

I power flush alot of my customers vehicles. Its a bloody expensive machine that takes 1 hose off of the transmission cooler (typically found on radiator). What it does is it dumps the oil ATF into a container and at the same exact rate it introduces new fluid.

By doing so it will get a very high percentage of all old fluid in the valvebody and torque converter. DUMP and FILL is the backyard method that works but not nearly as effective. Even dropping a pan and changing the filter then filling with fluid does not account for the old fluid in the torque converter.

Whatever method you do its still gonna work.

Flushing doesn't necessarily mean you're putting solvents in there. Most places just have a machine that exchanges fluid through cooler lines based on weight. Only the really shady places will still recommend solvents/snake oil.

What year is this Element? My 2005 CR-V has an inline filter on one of the lines under the radiator. Honda doesn't say to change this out but I surely will at 36k once the warranty is up.

At 25K miles, you will be surprised at just how much crud is built up on the HONDA magnetic drain plug.

I would do 2 drain and refills just to get *most* of the original ATF out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back