10w-40 instead of 5w-30 okay mechanic says?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the vehicle has 143k on it. it is def. burning oil as I top it off for her with 5w-30. are there long term effects in using 10w-40 instead of 5w-30. Most internet research I have done shows no negatives in warm climates. In the winter a thinner oil is preferred due to better start up flow qualities.

p.s. no way in - - - - - - am I getting a minivan any time soon even though the toyota sinenna awd vans drive great and are a great alternative to suv's and provide more room and comfort for the passengers.

Just think of 10W-40 as being along the same lines as an adhesive with gap filling capability.
grin.gif

That mechanic is protecting his own interests and the girlfriend's interests. It absolutely will not hurt anything to run 10w40... and considering that we're talking about a Saturn with a female driver (who, by definition, does NOT check the oil), it could prevent an engine failure. I think she's taking her car to a wise man.

Update:

The car seems to be burning less oil with 10w-40 and 1500 miles into the oil change, the oil is still between the full and low mark. This is pretty good for a Saturn that is prone to oil burning by nature.

On another note, what I find strange is that the shop where I take this Saturn to only uses 10w-40 bulk. They put this in vehicles that spec 10w-30, 5w-30, 5w-20, etc...

It seems the customers never question this. By the way, this is at a Shell station so I'm assuming it is Shell 10w-40 formula in the tank?

My wife owns a 94 Saturn (96,000 miles). I have always and still use 5W30 in it. I am one of the lucky ones, it doesn't burn oil.

For Maryland's winter, I would find another station to change my oil - then not exceed 10W-30 viscosity for the winter months. Most wear is at startup. You can use 10W-40, but it's more beneficial not to. I would rather have a little consumption - than increased parts wear.

10-w40 is pretty good for MD winter, although changing to 5w-30 for winter is a bit preferable. If the mechanic is "into" the oils viscs he or she uses, I'm shure they would be fine with putting a 5w-30 hi-miles for her, if requested & provided.

Going to a slightly heavier oil on a high mileage engine which is having consumption problems is a pretty good band aid. It isn't going to fix anything, but it will make living with the problem a little easier.

The mechanic is making a good suggestion. I'm sure that if he insisted it was time for an engine rebuild people would be calling him all sorts of bad names!

there's only about 5% difference in gas mileage, not a big deal

and 10W-40 is not that thick, which is good to use, i use Amsoil 10W-40 in my Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back