600 class sportbike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to buy a 600 class sportbike for various reasons.. I've got a fair amount of riding experience but every last bit of it is in the dirt, so I don't know how much translates..

My question is what would be a good first 600 class crotch rocket? and no, HD type cruisers don't interest me..

Dirt riding is an excellent beginning to street riding. I'd suggest taking a beginners 2 or 3 day riding course (MSF)at a nearby University or motorcycle shop. They provide 250 cc bikes with class room and parking lot training. Then I'd suggest buying a Suzuki SV650. Light, simple and not over powered. Then take the intermediate one or two day riding course (MSF) on that bike. Then maybe some advanced riding courses at a local race track.

Be careful but have fun!

Dirt riding teaches great bike skills no matter what you ride. A good Saftey course will teach survival skills which are just as important on the road. Plus it will often get you break on insurance.

600? your call on that one? things to think about might be the cost to insure it especially if you get a loan. Also comfort, in the quest for higher and higher performance they have grown quite small for a taller rider. With these 2 things in mind Tim V's sv suzuki makes a whole bunch more sense. One thing for sure there is no shortage of types and kinds of bikes to pick from, LOL.

My suggestion is to check out the multitude of on-line sites from the bike magazines. Lots of comparison tests, and lots of general knowledge in a short time. Also, check out the bike specific forums on line. You'll get a good idea of the good and the bad really quick. Finally, walk in knowing ten times as much as the salesman, and choose what feels right. Good luck, and happy hunting!

Quote:

Dirt riding teaches great bike skills no matter what you ride. A good Saftey course will teach survival skills which are just as important on the road. Plus it will often get you break on insurance.

600? your call on that one? things to think about might be the cost to insure it especially if you get a loan. Also comfort, in the quest for higher and higher performance they have grown quite small for a taller rider. With these 2 things in mind Tim V's sv suzuki makes a whole bunch more sense. One thing for sure there is no shortage of types and kinds of bikes to pick from, LOL.

I have to take the state required safety course to get my M endorsement.. I was figuring the 600 class would be fast enough to still be fun but not more than I could handle while I re-learn. The Suzuki SV650 looks interesting and is a bunch cheaper than the bikes I've been looking at.

dirt riding is great, but I'n not sure I want to make a street bike fly like I did on the 'ol YZ..
ooo.gif

or I should say on my buddy's YZ.. my old Kawasaki 250KDX was too heavy for good air, but man it's torque made it awesome in a pit..

The newest Topline 4 600's from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha & Kawasaki (CBR600RR, GSX-R600, R6 & ZX-6R) are all much more track-oriented nowdays than they ever were before... Depending upon your size they may, indeed, be a form of self-inflicted torture.

The so-called "2nd Tier 600's", the Kawasaki ZZR600, the Honda CBR600F4i, etc. are actually just lightly modified hottest models from a previous generation. These are all, still BLINDINGLY fast, handle like champs, unbelievable brakes, etc. Just not the latest & greatest versions.

The new 675 Triumph Daytona triple is a different fish, very sophisticated, light, etc. Also costs $9K.

The Suzuki SV650 and the new Kawasaki NINJA 650R are, as you have previously opined, also a different type of ride than the 600's, Top & 2nd Tier: more of a modern STANDARD STREETBIKE than a "Rickey Racer" squid-type wheelie-ing down the freeway at 60 mph. 12 second quarter mile times ain't that slow once you really think about it... You really should get a test ride on both of these: they are more comfortable, better gas mileage, etc. than you would imagine.

The Suzuki V-Strom 650 is very highly regarded in the real world: it kind of cuts the difference between true Dual Purpose bikes like the KLR650, the DR650SE, DR-Z400S: more of an adventure/touring bike than truly off-road capable.

The Suzuki DR-Z400SM (as in "Super Moto") is a lot of fun on the street if long distances are really not in the picture: you wouldn't want to ride to Atlanta on one with a passenger!

You can kill yourself very quickly and painfully on any of these bikes as their performance limits exceed anything reasonably needed on the street.

If it must be a sportbike I would suggest you buy an older 600, the cleanest, lowest mileage UNMODIFIED original one you can find. The Honda CBR600F4i is thought by many to be one of the best overall street motorcycles ever produced. I see them in the Cycle Trader and in the local paper for $5K. You could ride coast-to-coast on one of these babies in a heartbeat. They are probably only good for 100K miles or so if unmodified, unwrecked and properly maintained.

If you buy the right bike at the right price you should be able to ride it for a couple seasons and get most of what you paid for it back if you decide you really want a newest, greatest 600. You'll also be in a position to be more ready to actually safely use all they can do.

The new liter bikes can kill an accomplished & experienced street rider in one corner...

Good Luck!

perhaps I should have stated myself better... I'm open to anything not of the harley or goldwing types.. the SV650 definately has my interest, esp at it's price point (I could pay cash for one if I wanted to). I may tool over to the local 'zuki dealer and have a look.

as for my size, I'm 6' with a long torso, I'm not into self inflicted torture.. btdt with my old '87 toyota MR2... awesome around town and in the twisties, but agony on a 1200 mile trip.

the liter bikes are INSANE, no thanks.

I would buy a 250 class if it is your first street bike. A good example is suz Ninja 250cc.
If using the bike primerely as a street bike and some occasional HW ride, then Honda 599 can be found used. It is an awesome bike. Even better is Honda 919 which is highly tuned for street ride AFA ride and seating position and form is concerned. Suz SV650 you sit much higher and is more forward than 599 & 919.

never considered a 250... didn't even know there was a 250 for the street... just checked the price... definately interested
smile.gif

Since you're used to dirt biking I think you might get tired of a ninja 250 pretty quick. I suggest a ninja 500. These things are all over the place for cheap and they move along pretty good.

I usually recommend a clean used 1st Gen SV650 for people with extensive dirt riding experience. $3000 and ride it for a year and sell it for what you paid for it.

For people without extensive experience I recommend the GS500E ($2000).

My little brother rode a GS500E in 2005, a 1st Gen SV650 in 2006, and just bought a used 2005 ZX6R 636 with 6,000 mi for $4900 in March. So far he is out a total of $4100 in net bike purchase prices over 2.25 years.

Bikes in the ultra competitive 600 Sportbike class depreciate like a rock. Just like MX Bikes they suffer form "Hot Bike of the Week Syndrome".

Quote:

Since you're used to dirt biking I think you might get tired of a ninja 250 pretty quick. I suggest a ninja 500. These things are all over the place for cheap and they move along pretty good.

well it's been 10 years since I was doing all the stupid stuff on my KLX250 and my buddy's YZ250..(until I wrecked the KLX..
mad.gif
) From everything I've read about the Ninja 250R suggests it's perfect for me, it's the motorcycle equivelent of my old MR2, light, relatively low powered, but incredibly tossable in the twisties. and the price point certainly doesn't hurt (no loan), nor does the low insurance rate.
I'm going to go see the kawasaki and 'zuki dealers on monday.. will definately check out the SV650 and the 250R.

While you are at the Kawasaki dealer check out the 500 & the new Ninja 650R, recently crowned as the newest "Best Bang for the Buck"!

You would not want to ride a 250 to New York City: you could ride the 650 to LA & back with a passenger...

Cheers!

Well I'm not planning on riding a 250R to sturgis... I'll check out the 500.. the 650R is more money than I really want to spend, but so is the SV650 (I don't want a loan)... basically any trips I'd take would be limited to the 2-4 hour range, which is all I have time for anyways.

but who knows, I may sit on the 250R and hate it.. I guess I'll know better after I hit the dealer..

I wouldn't consider a 250. If you have some dirt riding experience, it won't take long to translate that to street. That said, you'll be satisfied with the 250 for one season at the most, especially if you're interested in highway duty.

I'd go with the 650r if you're keen on a new bike. Most of the motorcycle mags love it and say its fantastic value. For my money (and someone with a little experience like you), I'd recommend a used Honda VFR 800. Great all-around do everything bike. Decent engine performance, top drawer handling, and great comfortable ergonomics.

3rd choice, sv650.

I'm completely ok with keeping a 250R for a season or 2 and then moving up as my skills come back (it has been 10 years) and improve (and build up more cash). Even at 33 I still suffer from testosterone poisoning from time to time and don't want to end splattering myself w/ more bike then I can handle. like I said before, I'm keeping my mind open and will sit on everything ('cept the liter bikes. yikes) in the showroom.

I do want a new bike, because my other vehicles are older (an 88 and a 93) and I don't need something else I have to screw with.

I think a VFR800 is too much bike for me right now (I'm trying to be realistic)

Bret.... If it absolutely must be new see if you can find a left over GS500F or Ninja 500R. Last years models should be available in the $4000 - 4500 range (and these bikes dont really change much they are old tech). I think you will find a 250cc Street Bike gets old in a hurry.

The GS500 is the to street bikes what the XR200 is to dirt bikes and the SV650 to the DR350.

Bret,

I just bought an 07 GSXR600 about six months ago. I hadn't rode in thirteen years when I bought it. That last bike was a Honda Rebel 250 back when I was a teenager.

With everything you have said I strongly believe that you should buy the SV650, Ninja 650r or MAYBE the Ninja 500 or Suzuki 500. Don't buy a 250, it will be wound up too much to do the speed limit.

My picks
1. SV650 (more powerful than the 650r)
2. 650R (Nice bike with a little wind protection)
3. Ninja 500 (may get bored with this one)

Also, check out this site. Lots of helpful people there.
http://sportbikes.net/

EDIT:

Sometimes I wish I would have bought the naked SV650.

SV650K7_aBlue_004285.jpg

2007%5C02%5C10%5Cbikepics-797924-800.jpg

My bike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back