best trans fluid for 4L65e

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Hummer H2 with the 4L65e trans (75000 miles)and it get's lots of off road use in high temp (Phoenix az)what is the best trans fluid to use ? is DexVI any better than DEXIII or is there something better than both?
confused.gif

From the Amsoil site:
2003 AM GENERAL HUMMER H2 6.0L 8-cyl Engine Code U
Automatic Transmission.....AF3
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
These are the synthetic Amsoil fluids recommended for your vehicle. I don't know of anything better, especially for high temperatures.

DexronVI is a good start.
Any of the boutique ATFs could also be considered.

If the ATF is 75k old and original, I would definitely love to see a UOA on this old stuff.

the fluid has 40000 miles on it,and looks ok just a little dark . from previous experiance I have seen a trans with this age and milage start slipping after a flushing because the new trans fluid is too clean and the dirt is the only thing keeping the clutch's from slipping .anyone have any imput ?

Quote:

the fluid has 40000 miles on it,and looks ok just a little dark . from previous experiance I have seen a trans with this age and milage start slipping after a flushing because the new trans fluid is too clean and the dirt is the only thing keeping the clutch's from slipping .anyone have any imput ?

I've never heard of that happening in any kind of situation under 150,000 miles. I had an 89 caprice, that before I bought it was barely taken care of by my dad's friends. As far as I was told the engine oil was the only thing ever changed and sometimes it wasn't changed. I changed the transmission fluid out on that at 205,000 miles. No problem after I flushed it.

Quote:

Quote:

I've never heard of that happening in any kind of situation under 150,000 miles. I had an 89 caprice, that before I bought it was barely taken care of by my dad's friends. As far as I was told the engine oil was the only thing ever changed and sometimes it wasn't changed. I changed the transmission fluid out on that at 205,000 miles. No problem after I flushed it.

Then you haven't seen to many BMW tranny's. Many stories of their tranny's failing after a fluid change. The prevailing wisdom on the BMW forums is to now change the "lifetime" fluid at about 50k. Then these tranny's work okay. Wait till 80k plus and change and many have issues.

I've owned 2 GM auto tranny's, I would HIGHLY recommend changing your fluid EVERY 15-20k for partial fluid change, and every 25-30k for a flush.

I would NOT go as long as 50k, 70k, or more miles prior to a fluid swap, especially if you do a lot of off-road or city driving.

Clean, fresh fluid is the best thing for these GM tranny's, both of mine have gone over 160k problematic free with rigurous lifestyles.

I would bet that a vast majority of trans failures are for the most part, the result of the driver (but they would never admit to that) and not the trans or the fluid. In 30 yrs working for a big state agency I noticed the same people over the years having trans problems with the private and their company driven vehicles. One guy on our crew had the record of having every trans in every survey truck he drove fail, be it GM, Ford or Chrysler we had them all.

I my self would never wait that long ether ,but I bought it used and that is what the service records indicate.I'll flush it and change the filter and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back