Gas station owner protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/gasprice.protest.ap/index.html

"Maria McClory, 38, drove 10 miles out of her way to buy a diet soda from Pollack's station after seeing local television coverage of the protest."

"I just wanted to support them and thank them for making a statement," said McClory, who drives about 100 miles a day for work in her sport utility vehicle.

What an idiot! So she is the model of why gas is at current prices and yet she burns more gas to support a protest over gas prices.

Last edited:
LOL Gilitar-

that's why I can still see drivers speeding down the downtown allyways in their Denalis, Hums and Escalades even with gas price as high as 1.30CAD/Litre...

(they are the main contributors to the problem of overfeeding the gouls (oil companies) which in turns, come back and bit us avj. joes from behind...(price-gouging))

My 2c's worth

Heck I went up to Carlisle Pa. for the Import/Kitcar show and saw the same thing. I was running the speed limit on the Pa. Turnpike and I can safely say for every car I passed I had 100 or more pass me. These people mustn't be the same people complaining about $3.19 per gallon gas.

You guys are real class acts if you think speeding makes gasoline more exspensive...

People will drive where, when, & however they want. The only people who look like idiots are the ones controlling that to help lower the price of gas.

Gas is high because of tensions in the Middle East and just because it was never going to sit at $.99 forever. People just got used to it and now they need to wake up. Nothing wrong with driving an SUV if you can afford to do so, it is their money not yours being wasted.

It just takes a good shock to jar people into seeing how foolishly they have been spending money with current fuel prices. $4.00 gasoline is what we need, make the market more competetive for diesels and more fuel efficent gasoline engines.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with driving an SUV if you can afford to do so, it is their money not yours being wasted.

It just takes a good shock to jar people into seeing how foolishly they have been spending money with current fuel prices. $4.00 gasoline is what we need, make the market more competetive for diesels and more fuel efficent gasoline engines.

Yes, there is something wrong with driving full size SUVs when the owner doesn't NEED it and only drives it for status. A family sedan will suffice for 80% of households, but yet somehow SUVs outsell cars. If you don't tow or haul you don't need a gas guzzler.

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with driving an SUV if you can afford to do so, it is their money not yours being wasted.

Yes, there is something wrong with driving full size SUVs when the owner doesn't NEED it and only drives it for status. A family sedan will suffice for 80% of households, but yet somehow SUVs outsell cars. If you don't tow or haul you don't need a gas guzzler.

X2 or at least know what comes with the territory. Even with my Tacoma im not expecting much.

First I wasn't criticizing these people for speeding or driving their one occupant SUV's. My comment was meant to say that the present price of gasoline had not effected their driving habits. I don't care what people drive or spend on fuel it is their money to burn as they wish.
I should add that the large semi's were also running close to the speed limit.

Just got back from a 1400 mile trip in my 28,000 lb motorhome.....got 9.0 MPG, considered quite good for a diesel of this size and weight. Wish I had a good diesel automobile. There aren't any made that I would have....too expensive. But, give me a good 4 or 5 cylinder Toyota or Huyandi diesel sedan and I'd buy it in a minute.

I feel the same way as many do, drive whatever suits you, but accept what comes with it.

If you need an SUV, drive one. If you want an SUV, drive one. Most folks just won't accept the consequences of their purchase. Expecting a Suburban to get the mileage of an Accord is just insane. Yet you always see the folks complaining on the news....and they are driving things almost the same size as their house.

When I was buying a car I considered that I mainly need it for simple commuting, wasnt gonna haul anything, and wasnt towing. So I bought a 4 cylinder daytona. I was debating to buy a Ford F250. It was a niiiice truck. But I knew it would be much to expensive for me to run. If I bought it anyways, I would have no valid complaints about mileage. Generally that truck will get under 10mpg in town.

Quote:

The problem is that the average person is both not smart enough to see their dire situation, and not caring enough to do anything but make themselves feel good in the here and now. So, they buy vehicles with thirstier engines than are prudent, they drive faster (using more fuel in their thirsty engines) than is prudent, and buy vehicles that are inherently less efficient by virtue of the previous two reasons, amongst others. Why? Because they think that they 'deserve' it, and because they are fancier than they can afford, but 'have' to show it.

What happens when you absolutely need something, and you buy more of it than you can really, robustly afford under ANY situation. Now, say that for whatever reason, you can't easily get rid of this item that you absolutely need, because it costs a LOT of money to unload. Well, that is what the average car buyer is facing.

People buy more car than they can afford. They are on the verge of severe debt, and are alredy sitting on a LOT of non-mortgage debt as it is. They finance a quickly-depreciating asset in the name of vanity AND must-have, due to conveyance being mandatory.

For folks that can affrd thirsty vehicles, it is what it is, and they will use them regardless of fuel prices, because they can afford it. Additionally, the folks that can truly afford these vehicles at any price are only a small proportion of the population.

Now we are in a situation where too many people have too thirsty of vehicles. They need them absolutely, and can;t afford their purchase price, let alone higher costs of operation. They are in a situation where they MUST buy fuel to remain employed, to be able to pay their bills, which are higher every day.

WHen more than the critical amount of the population is in such a situation, guess what happens??? they get manipulated. Why? because their choices, practices and behaviors are such that they have to do what they are already doing, are not flexible (or smart enough) to change their behaviors, and continually offset their worsening positions the easy way - by incurring more debt.

When you have a large portion of the population in this unsustainable position, it is nothing but smart business on the part of big oil, opec, etc. to take advantage of this. Then, the commodity traders take advantage even more!

Nobody is truly guaranteed any real, required item - heat, food, water, etc. And there is no guarantee of fuel availability at low prices. We bring trouble onto ourselves by the decisions we make.

People driving fast is a problem because the folks that can't truly afford the unsustainable behaviors are also the people practicing them a lot of the time. In the end, unsustainable activities continue until things fall apart and crash, at which point who picks up the tab? The rich? not likely... the people who caused the issues for themselves? nope... instead it is the people who made the right decisions all along and can then be used. So unfortunately, those of us who are trying to be as reaonable as possible need to be bothered about these activites, as we are the ones paying the same prices as the rest of the folks, and who will be footing the bill when they mess up. Additionally, in the hope to delay/prevent the point where unsustainable behaviors cause a crash, those who are responsible have t try doubly hard to make up for others' bad choices.

Its a vicious cycle, and its really lousy. And most of us hard working reasonable folks who do save, dont incur debt, and try really hard to make things good for ourselves by being careful withour choices and finances, will be screwed in the future.

JMH

Amen,

I remember a friend who bought a big SUV, and then would try to put the minimum amount of gas in the tank to keep it running, like $5.

Most people believe that because they can purchase (read finance) a thing, it means that they can afford that thing. Wrong wrong wrong. Most people cant count the time-value of money.

My explorer is mid sized and I can't say mileage is great, but one of the reasons I bought it was for safety. With everyone and their momma driving suvs, I rather be in one when I get hit. It's only driven when family is out shopping, going to park, whatever. I feel safer in it and for me that is what counts. I get 15 or so around town and about 19 highway. I think the summer we bought the truck gas was $2.48 gallon. To fill up now each tank is about $17 more, but we drive little so don't have to fill up so much. I am sure doing the 2 times a week would hurt.

You can't blame speeding or big vehicles on the gas prices.
I don't see the logic behind that.

Quote:

in and of themselves, no. In the hands of those who can afford them, no.

In the hands of people who cannot really afford them, but finance and buy them in the name of style, vanity, even safety, if a large portion of the population undertakes an unsustainable course of acton, which is the current situation, then we have a problem, as I stated above. It is only smart business for oil companies, OPEC, etc. to raise prices on something with inelastic demand, when a large number of people have purchased thirsty vehicles that they cannof afford, because average joe consumer got themselves into a pickle and are upside down on their loan on their SUV and still insist on driving in an efficiency band that uses more fuel.

Are the vehicles bad in and of themselves? NO. But when average joe consumer with a mortgage and $10k in credit card debt finances a vehicle (so they cant really afford it), then behaves in a financially unustainable way because of what they 'need' and 'deserve', but can't really afford, it puts them in a situation that can be taken advantage of. We are in that pattern, and have nobody to blame but our society who decided that every joe consumer in debt and who can't afford them 'needs' them so badly.

JMH

Quote:

The insane number of big vehicles can absolutely positively be blamed as one of the reasons for expensive gas.

Don't people understand that with more demand comes higher prices? Economics 101

Blame may be too strong a word.

However, 2 ton SUV's with one occupant driving 80MPH is a contributing factor to increased fuel consumption.

To argue otherwise, in my opinion, is a disconnection from reality.

In no way do I want the government or even my neighbor to mandate what you or I must buy.

On the other hand, I don't believe the current situation is sustainable.

As has been stated before, many are locked into their current vehicle with the golden handcuffs of their vehicle financing. They can't get out of their SUV because they owe more than it's worth. Even if they doubled their fuel economy, it's unlikely they will recoup the costs of trading for a more fuel efficient vehicle in any reasonable short term time horizon.

The speed you travel does make a difference. I've been tracking this for all of this month. The only real change I've made in my driving habits is to stay below 70MPH. I would often drive 80+. I still run the A/C so no savings there. I may accelerate a bit more modestly now as well. Now, for the last 1619 miles since my 5/2 fill up, my average fuel economy is 34.03 MPG. The same car averaged over the previous approx 102K miles about 31.7 MPG. I'm not going to save the world, but it does make a difference.

I'd need more time to develop more data, but the last tank of fuel was 36.9 MPG for mostly highway driving over 428 miles.

How fast you drive does make a difference. I suspect if I could stand driving 55 instead of 65, I would see low 40's in this car.

FWIW

"she burns more gas to support a protest over gas prices."

I think CNN did a poll asking why gas is so high...most blamed government and oil companies. Few chose "consumers". They just don't get supply and demand, that if we all drive tanks around getting 12 mpg it's going to push demand and prices up.

John

If only consumers were more educated about driving techniques playing such a large role in gas mileage. As javacontour stated, you can get great gas mileage if you just drive like a sane human being. Back when I first got my car, I drove it kind of hard and got around 26-28mpg, now i'm getting 31-36mpg, simply because i've been taking care of my car and driving more moderately.

BTW, the car that's getting 36+ MPG has 209K on the clock
smile.gif

You guys are absolutely correct that driving style plays a large role as well. It irks me when I see people flying up to a red light WOT just to slam on the brakes. Geez some people are dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back