Tell me about the Toyota 4.0 V6 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attempted to find out about any oddball oddities to this engine, but have come up with few hits. Plenty of 3.0/4.7 ..etc..but no 4.0 in the FJ Cruiser.

Is this a "traditionally sound" Toyota engine ..or one of the ill fallen sludge monsters?

Here's what Wiki had to say:

Quote:

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0L version. Bore is 94 mm and stroke is 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (183 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb-ft (382 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp at 5200 rpm with 278 lb-ft at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's single VVT-i, variable valve timing, system and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. Inside, the 1GR uses a taper-squish combustion chamber design with matching pistons to improve anti-knocking and engine performance, while also improving intake and fuel efficiency. Toyota adopted a siamese-type intake port, which reduces the surface area of the port walls and prevents fuel from adhering to such walls. This engine has special cast-iron cylinder liners cast into the block, which are a spiny type to improve adhesion between the liner and cylinder block. With these special thin liners it is impossible to bore the block. In the event of cylinder wall damage (scoring, deep protrusions, etc), the entire cylinder block must be replaced. For increased block rigidity, the 1GR also receives a high temperature plastic insulator/protector, which fills the empty space between the outer portion of the cylinders and block material common to open deck engines. For increased cooling efficiency, the 1GR employs water passages between the bores of the engine. There are such 2 passages for each bank for a total of 4. This reduces cylinder hot-spotting and keeps combustion chamber temperatures more uniform.

..but that doesn't get into the characteristics of the engine.

Thanks for any input.
smile.gif

Gary:

The xGR engines are a relatively new series, and did not appear in production vehicles until well after the 1MZ/5S sludge debacle. The 1GR is the "truck" variant, which appears in at least four models I can think of, the FJ you mentioned, as well as the 4Runner, the Taco, and base versions of the Tundra. As these engines have been on the street for only about 4-5 years, it's still an open question whether any very long term problems will appear. OTOH, if there were any fundamental inherent problems, I think they'd have surfaced by now. BTW, while it's not that important, this engine has one of the nicest oil filter installations I've ever seen. It sits, literally on a platter (which catches drips) right up in the front, driver's side corner of the engine room. Open the hood, and there it is. You can probably change it in 15 seconds without moving a single joint in your spine. By contrast, the 1GR's sibling car engine, the 3.5L 2GR has one of those maddening cartridge setups.

If I needed a vehicle that had a 1GR under the hood, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Thanks for your input.

I'm wondering about the LTR aspects of the engine with it's "special thin liners" that would seem to make the block an eventual throw away item. Although I'm sure that they build plenty of life into the engine, one could reason that at some point this can and will be an issue (for someone), and that the maintenance schedule and level of "detail" to it would be in the owner's best interest to push that event as far into the future as practical. That is, this engine, I would think, would go from decay to dysfunctional in a rapid manner after a long bout of perfect. I'm the paranoid type at my amateur level of enlightenment and would probably be very anal in regard to this engine.

Right there on page 8 it says "it is not possible to bore a block with this type of liner". While new replacements may be available now, will you be able to find them in 20 years from now when these are likely to need overhaul? Granted 90% of people would just ditch it at that age anyway but its something to think about.

Nice pdf with lots of good info. The mechanical arrangement of this engine is similar in many ways to the Chrysler 2.7L V6. Three timing chains, 24 cam lobes and several sprockets/gears = lots of shearing action.

Thank gawd toyota put the water pump outside the crankcase, instead of inside the crankcase like my 2.7 has.

Phil

Quote:

Here is a PDF that is much more detailed than WIKI.

I have two of these engines and they have been trouble free so far.
Although I have not been specifically looking for others with problems I can't recall any issues with this engines thus far.
here is the link to more information on this motor.

http://www.greatestsale.com/jon/FJManual/NewVehicle.pdf

Quote:

Right there on page 8 it says "it is not possible to bore a block with this type of liner". While new replacements may be available now, will you be able to find them in 20 years from now when these are likely to need overhaul? Granted 90% of people would just ditch it at that age anyway but its something to think about.

This was my thought. Although any other engine can just be bored ..and some even relined (like the old aluminum Vega block) ..this has to have NEW blocks (blocks, short blocks, long blocks, or crate engines) available at the time of needed refresh. If that's 20 years out ..with no cores in the field
dunno.gif

As far as "ditching" them. Hmm ..this thing really looks like a keeper. Even for a second owner. That is, most will have a semi-LTR with them.

This is one engine where bypass filtration may pay off in stretching the finish line to the ultra high extreme.

Quote:

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0L version. Bore is 94 mm and stroke is 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (183 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb-ft (382 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp at 5200 rpm with 278 lb-ft at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's single VVT-i, variable valve timing, system and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. Inside, the 1GR uses a taper-squish combustion chamber design with matching pistons to improve anti-knocking and engine performance, while also improving intake and fuel efficiency. Toyota adopted a siamese-type intake port, which reduces the surface area of the port walls and prevents fuel from adhering to such walls. This engine has special cast-iron cylinder liners cast into the block, which are a spiny type to improve adhesion between the liner and cylinder block. With these special thin liners it is impossible to bore the block. In the event of cylinder wall damage (scoring, deep protrusions, etc), the entire cylinder block must be replaced. For increased block rigidity, the 1GR also receives a high temperature plastic insulator/protector, which fills the empty space between the outer portion of the cylinders and block material common to open deck engines. For increased cooling efficiency, the 1GR employs water passages between the bores of the engine. There are such 2 passages for each bank for a total of 4. This reduces cylinder hot-spotting and keeps combustion chamber temperatures more uniform.

Some manufacturers have been building engines like this for years. None of these characteristics are special, in fact some automakers have been employing better engineering like actually casting-in iron cylinder liners to split aluminum blocks (which can be bored) and semi-cloverleaf combustion chambers to prevent preignition. Also for it's displacement, those #'s arent looking very good, simultaneously, I realise that peak numbers tell a consumer little to nothing about the engine's actually powerband. The 1GR is maxed out. Generally speaking, maxed out engines suffer low rod stroke ratios and relatively reduced efficiency (relative to their smaller siblings).
dunno.gif

earlier 'yota v6 from early 90s/late 80s on were more prone to exhaust valve burnout. This trait seemed to continue for years. Couldn't understand why it never seemed to go away...maybe overall just not enough failures to matter. IMO, that was the weakest part of the motor. BUT never once did I hear a v6 owner with a blown ex valve at 120,000 miles notice that their bore was also bad. Summary - if history tells the tale, something else will fail long before you need to worry about cyl liners.

just opinion.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back