M1 in Indy car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that doubt that the regular old retail stuff is used in high dollar sponsored race cars, here's some pretty substantial proof. M1 0W-40, right out of the bottle. These pics were taken last Thursday during a practice session.

153798872-M.jpg

Cropped from this photo.
153798867-S.jpg

153798862-S.jpg

The rest of the pics I took that day can be found HERE

M1 0w-40 is a very good oil. In F1, McClaren uses 0w-5 and 0w-20 from an article I read awhile back. Wouldnt surprise me if they use off the shelf stuff for Indy.
smile.gif
M1 5w-40 is another oil that IMO is the best in it's grade.

Does Mobil 1 sponsor that car?

I'll be up at Indy for the the Formula 1 Grand Prix. My 18 year old son and I will be camped out in lot 1A for June 14-17. If any of you are around, I will have an Allegro Bay Motorhome with a 4 ft Amsoil sticker on the back. Stop by and say hi.

I saw a Nascar race once back 12-14 years ago that in practice they had to go down to Walmart or K-Mart to get a case of Havoline to put in their race car. 20W-50 and yes the store tag was on the sealed case of oil.

They make some good stuff.

Very nice pics. Thank you! I just bought a ticket to the Bombardier Learjet 550K at Texas Motor Speedway on 6/9. Should be fun. Someday I hope to go see the Indy 500 though.
BTW...it just goes to show that you can use just about any engine oil in a Honda!!!

That's Jimmy Kite's car, which did not make the show. They should have put 0W20 in and, maybe, the car could have made the 4 mph Kite needed to bump Marty Roth.

Honda leases these engines to the teams for 1000 miles. From what I understand, that gives them 500 miles for practice and qualifying, and 500 miles for the race. After that, game over. They have to return the engine to Honda for rebuild. That being said, I don't think the teams work on the engines at all...only Honda reps. If the bottle says M1 0W40 in the picture, I'd say it definitely is. It wouldn't make sense for a team to put anything else in the engine other than what Honda dictates. Why jeopardize losing the engine before the race even starts?

kimi.jpg

Make no mistake, the oil in the McClaren F1 car is NOT of Walmart quality. INDY a different story.

Quote:

Yes, these pics were all taken at the Indianapolis 500 speedway on Thursday May 17th.

Excellent photos. Are you going to be at the race with your camera? If you are I will PM you some request for purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back