How to open an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about buying some sort of tool to open oil filters, because i'm curious to see how much crud my oil filter trapped during my rinse phase. Does anyone know where I can get one, and how much to expect to pay? Thanks a lot
smile.gif

I used a $5 saw. With my left hand I held the filter with a sheet of sandpaper and very carefully cut the filter apart holding the saw at a slight angle.

5 minutes later the filter was open.

You can spend $$$ and get one that looks like a pipe cutter look up Summit racing parts catalog. I would wear gloves to keep from getting cut.

I have the Summit cutter. If you can find a big enough pipe cutter at a flea market, that would work too. The 3.6x cans are a bit big for most pipe cutters ..but one for the 2.9x aren't too hard to find.

I've often wondered how one of those institutional large can openers (table mounted) would work. They're hopelessly expensive new ..but I imagine that there's some place where you can pick them up for salvage.

1.jpg

Gary, Those would work if it wasn't for that darned thick threaded thingy with the holes in it, that's under the thon metal whoozit that holds the gasket in place.
smile.gif

I was fortunate enough to score this oil filter opener on eBay for under $10 total. A very basic design. The body is machined aluminum. It came from a Harley Davidson / Motorcycle shop. Cycle shops might be a good source for those in the market for one.
Picture680.jpg

Joel

I started out using a 3 1/2" cut off wheel ... worked OK but the cutting wheel left some residue on the filter ...

(click enlarge)

After a while I broke down and spent the money on a TAVIA filter cutter ...
item331.jpg

smile.gif

I surrendered too, Bill.
frown.gif
I got tired of searching for the escape hatch of under $25 ..and resigned myself to the $40+/- range of the Summit offering.

I waited until I had a load of "new money" to spend (at the time) so that the cost just "disappeared" into the background noise. Now that I'm broke again ..I'm glad I got it out of the way when I had the opportunity
grin.gif

Since you are trying to save money, perhaps a peice of equipment you already own ...

Kitchen Blender using a 1/4" drive shaft (Oster-brands maybe others)
1/4" to 3/8" socket adapter
ratchet end filter wrench

Attach the filter to the assembled unit. Spin the filter at a high speed (whip->frappe) as you can gently score the can with a scribe-type tool in a lathe-like fashion.

A special feature is the "centrifical draining action" especially useful for used filters! No more fiddling with the ADBV.

Kids - DO NOT TRY THIS WITH YOUR MOTHER'S BLENDER ! (or your father's blender in your mother's kitchen
laugh.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back