How often should power steering fluid be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've changed mine out (siphon/refill/drive/repeat 3x) 2 or 3 times - 219k miles, and no problems. I think 30-60k miles depending on your car and driving habits (hwy miles vs city).

I bought my F-150 in 1995 with 30,000 miles on it. The vehicle now has 178,000 miles on it. Power steering fluid or brake fluid never been changed.

An old (and very good) mechanic told me that instead of the time-consuming bleed and pump method for changing power steering and brake fluids, on his own vehicles he would simply periodically suck out what fluid was in the appropriate reservoir and refill with fresh. Over time this would completely change the old fluids as the respective systems cycled hydraulically. The key was to keep changing the reservoir fluids, which is simple enough in most vehicles.

It sounds along the same principles as periodic ATF changes using pan drops instead of the hassle of a complete flush and refill, draining torque converter, etc. Over time the pan drops—or installing a drain plug in the pan to allow drains—accomplishes much the same thing; you just do it more often. This is what a lot of the people who have installed Amsoil or Red Line synthetic ATFs have done.

Now this is what I consider a "life time" fluid application (power steering). Replace fluid when things break. I have never-ever had a pump go bad but I have had leaking hoses usually around 120K miles, but I've had up to 180K without a problem.

I do brakes the same way. Flush when I need to bleed them. Only once did I have brake line fail, 1957 Dodge Coranet 24 years ago in Rochester NY (not a dry kind of place).

But change it if you like !

Tranny...that's a whole 'nother issue. As is racing for brake fluids.

Do a full flush with Amsoil ATF (if your vehicle requires ATF in the power steering) or Redline/Royal Purple Power Steering Fluid (if your vehicle requires power steering fluid) once. Then every 10,000 miles, drain and fill the reservoir.

P/S fluid continually cycles through the system in a big loop. Sucking out the reservoir and refilling will get a good amount of fresh fluid in. I would say do it every 30K. If the fluid is old/dirty, do it during oil changes 2-3 times in a row.

Brake fluid is different. It doesn't circulate. It does churn a bit, and will get circulated over time, but it takes awhile. For what its worth, the Acura factory recommended replacement of brake fluid is every 3 years or 45K miles, whichever comes first.

Forget about the "I never changed em and my car has 17 million problem free miles" type answers. Changing p/s fluid isnt as critical, but changing the brake fluid is. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water over time, and corrodes the internals of the system. Also, water boils and turns to vapor, which can lead to brake fade. Another good reason to change the brake fluid is that it gets dirty over time, and there are a lot of little orifices and valves inside the ABS modulator. If they're gummed up with junk, the ABS is not going to work to its full potential.

When I was going to tech school one of my teachers made a good point. "The two most important systems on a car are STEERING and BRAKES. So change the fluid once in awhile."

How often should power steering fluid be changed?

As often as you need to feel good about the level of care you're giving it. My level will be 179k/16 years sometime soon
grin.gif

Now I do wonder what that noise is
shocked.gif

I have swapped PS fluid for synthetic ATF before. Mother's Corsica ..whining when below freezing. M1 ATF ..no more issues. Same with her trans (instead of whining - delay).

Quote:

Removing power steering fluid from the reservoir using what? Will a turkey baster work?

Aside from specialized products to perform essentially the same function (at much higher expense, albeit with higher extended utility) ..the turkey baster is the BITOG tool of choice for this procedure.
grin.gif

The res in my Tacoma and my Matrix each hold about 8 oz. Using a piece of fish tank airline hose, I drain the res and fill with fresh. Just starting doing this at every oil change (5K). Just don't suck to hard to get the flow started. ATF tastes bad!
smile.gif

Quote:

Removing power steering fluid from the reservoir using what? Will a turkey baster work?

Yep, that's how I changed it in my Tacoma. I'd count the number of baster-fulls removed and replace with new fluid in the same amount. Then start the engine and turn the wheel from lock to lock. Stop the engine and do the above about 3-4 times... you will have mostly new fluid in there.

When I completed this process on my Tacoma, the steering was noticeably much easier -- and the old fluid was only 2 years old.
shocked.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Aside from specialized products to perform essentially the same function (at much higher expense, albeit with higher extended utility) ..the turkey baster is the BITOG tool of choice for this procedure.
grin.gif

Alright Thank You Gary. . .
laugh.gif

I use a syphon pump (looks like a grease gun with a tube on the end and only a push pull handle out the other end.

Works great.

Just empty reservoir.
Gill with fresh.
Start car, cycle steering lock to lock and re-center. Turn off.

Repeat until fluid is clean again. I usually do about 2 quarts.

If you can find the return line (low pressure) line for the PS it's a really easy job. Typically I'll pull the PCM fuse or the connector to the coil, so the car will crank but not start.

Then I suck out PS fluid in resevior. Pull return line. Use good Hose'nbolt on the nipple of the resevior. Put a barb on other end of line, and attach more line to it, and run line to drain bucket. Fill resvior. Have friend try and start the car while you continually add fresh PS fluid. All the old #@$%! gets flushed out
smile.gif
When finished, remove extra fluid from resevior, remove the hose'nbolt and barb and extra hose and reinstall return lin.e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back