Honda GCV160 oil draining proceedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a push mower with Honda GVC160 OHC engine. Mowed only once but I love this engine. I looked at the bottom of the engine and I could not find an oil drain plug. I looked in the manual and they show that you remove the dipstick and tip the mower to drain from the fill tube. I think this method stinks. Am I missing the drain plug or has someone here installed a drain plug to make this a better process? Thank you. Philip.

Yup- no drain plug on my Honda gcv160 engine either. As much as I'd prefer to have a drain plug, it would probably be a lot more trouble to install one than it's worth- at least to me. I just let the mower sit a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump after running it, then remove the filler-cap/dipstick & tilt mower on its side. Works well enough, & since I use mine only for trimming, one oil change a year is gonna be overkill in a big way.

Still, it *does* go against the grain. But I don't want to have to dismantle the engine to prevent, or clean out, all those aluminum shavings that drilling & tapping produce.

If you do install one, let us know & post pix, will ya?
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

you remove the dipstick and tip the mower to drain from the fill tube. I think this method stinks.

Congratulations on your purchase. Draining through the fill tube works just fine. What do you think stinks about it?

Be very careful not to overfill it or it will leak out of the governor pivot arm. Start with about 16 ounces, then check it carefully as you slowly top it off.

GrtArtiste

Quote:

Just make sure the carb has been run dry before tipping the mower.

Why?
I've never heard of a Honda engine having any problems regarding this.

Apparently you have some personal experience?

No need to run the carb dry IF you are tilting mower to change the oil. Problems come when tipping the CARB side down.

16 oz is too much to refill this engine. Measure the oil that comes out; start with that as your initial fill. I predict you will get about 14 oz.

Quote:

Quote:

you remove the dipstick and tip the mower to drain from the fill tube. I think this method stinks.

Congratulations on your purchase. Draining through the fill tube works just fine. What do you think stinks about it?

My opinion, I would rather put mower on two milk crates and drain the oil from the bottom. Now I have not changes the oil yet, I have three more tanks of fuel to run through it to get to my 5 hour initial oil change, but I think tipping it will be messy, possibly getting oil on the engine and deck. I think all of the oil may not drain out through the filler tube. I am concerned about spilling fuel out of the tank or flooding the carburator, so I will run it out of fuel before I drain oil. I think a plug on the bottom would be much more simple. Philip.

This is the way I've always drained my oil on my old 3.75 B&S. I just bought a new Cub Cadet. It has a drain plug, but the plug comes out the side. There's nowhere for the oil to go -- other than all over the mower deck? I would still have to tilt it on it's side (some) to use the drain plug.

Quote:

My opinion, I would rather put mower on two milk crates and drain the oil from the bottom. Now I have not changes the oil yet, I have three more tanks of fuel to run through it to get to my 5 hour initial oil change, but I think tipping it will be messy, possibly getting oil on the engine and deck. I think all of the oil may not drain out through the filler tube.

I've never had a problem with this method. I get about 15 oz out through the fill tube directly into a coffee can. I do see that you could let it drip longer up on the milk crates to maybe get another 1/2 ounce or so.

Quote:

I am concerned about spilling fuel out of the tank or flooding the carburator, so I will run it out of fuel before I drain oil. I think a plug on the bottom would be much more simple. Philip.

Always tip with the carb side up in the air and you won't spill a drop. No need to empty the fuel. The fill tube is on the correct side so you don't have to tip the carb side down and have fuel run out all over the place.

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

First time I changed my oil I didn't run the carb dry and it was a bear to start afterward, and when it did it smoked like crazy. The next oil changes and blade change went without a hitch with the carb dry.

Just a habit I got into.

My Honda mower with GXV160 has a drain plug, but it's inaccessible for changes (right against the deck) and the manual says to tip to drain.

The carb doesn't leak if you tip in the direction of the oil filler tube. Never had a problem. All the oil comes out just fine, no problem hitting a collection device all by myself etc... Frankly it's neater to drain than my GCV160-powered pressure washer and electric compressor. I find I can just put my usual used oil collection tray beside the mower and tip to pour...

Craig.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

First time I changed my oil I didn't run the carb dry and it was a bear to start afterward, and when it did it smoked like crazy. The next oil changes and blade change went without a hitch with the carb dry.

Just a habit I got into.

Is it a HONDA?
IF so, you seem to be the only one that has a problem!

I've had my Honda for about 10 years... Drain the oil by tipping on its side into a small bucket as the owner's manual states. Mine holds .63 qts. (about 20 oz.) of oil. Read your owner's manual for exact procedure and oil capacity.

By the way, it's really easy!

I have a GCV160 with a plug on the oil pan and I drained the oil using the plug. Now the plug is back in, it seems to be leaking. Is this plug supposed to be torqued and does anyone know what the torque is supposed to be?

I've got one of the earliest versions of the GCV160. It's a 1999 model year. It's on a Honda push-mower. No drain plug back then either.

It even through the dealer for a loop back then. "Oh?? Uhhhh.. I guess you have to tip it on it's side for that" when I asked about it.

Joel

Get an elastic band and a nice thick zip lok bag and remove the dipstick, place bag over filler neck, then elastic the bag good and tight around the neck, and tip the mower on its side. This will let you empty the oil without having to do the one hand on mower one hand holding catch can dance. You know the dance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back