In the light of the VW PD failure thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-MAN,
In large part, I agree with you. VW's "new oil of the week" specifications are ridiculous. Couple that with a last-place dealership network and it doesn't leave the informed Volkswagen buyer with the "warm fuzzies".
Personally, I wouldn't use any 30 weight oil in a Diesel engine, but can also see where this nonsense leads owners to set out on their own course. I have used Delvac 1 in my 2004 Jetta (with the PD engine) with excellent results for over 60k miles despite being told that it would destroy my cam/followers, and rollers in as little as a few hundred miles.
BTW, I read your Rotella UOA in the motorcycle section. Congrats on a great report.
cheers.gif
I'm currently breaking in a 2007 883 Sportster Custom and am trying to decide which oil to use later.

Quote:

Everytime you turn around VW has introduced another oil spec. It's almost ridiculous. I can just see the owners manual now for the 2020 VW Bug: "Only use oils that meet VW 505.29542332352."

In the last ten years, the VW diesel spec moved from 505.00 to 505.01... and will soon switch to 507.00.

In the same period, API went from CF-4 to CG-4 to CH-4 to CI-4 to CI-4 Plus, and now CJ-4.

Quote:

I still maintain that the guy using 5w30 Syntec is not doing any "serious damage" to his engine as long as he changes it at reasonable intervals.

Ask anyone with a Cummins or Powerstroke engine if they'd ever consider using a 5w30 designed for gasoline engines. Probably not, not even with an oil change every 1000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back